Surnames

Comments

• SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    Tasleus said:
    Trey said:
    I have no idea where Fort got Adwimar, but I used it for so long that it felt weird thinking about dropping it.

Adwimar is pretty cool :) 

Mine is Tasleus Ishida-Tasath. Got the Ishida bit from Ganelon (before he suicided :(:( ) and picked the Tasath up from Rastriana. May even remove the Ishida bit. Too japanese, not enough fantasy. 

Tas is considering removing the Tasath part since Rastriana's now all enemied to Cyrene and such. He's kinda angry about everything right now.
    Wow, I didn't think anyone else used Tasath. I like it because it's simple and sort of sounds like Sherazad the sad. 
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• Sherazad said:
    Tasleus said:
    Trey said:
    I have no idea where Fort got Adwimar, but I used it for so long that it felt weird thinking about dropping it.

Adwimar is pretty cool :) 

Mine is Tasleus Ishida-Tasath. Got the Ishida bit from Ganelon (before he suicided :(:( ) and picked the Tasath up from Rastriana. May even remove the Ishida bit. Too japanese, not enough fantasy. 

Tas is considering removing the Tasath part since Rastriana's now all enemied to Cyrene and such. He's kinda angry about everything right now.
    Wow, I didn't think anyone else used Tasath. I like it because it's simple and sort of sounds like Sherazad the sad. 
    Well, I use it simply because of the lineage. Technically my bloodline is just through Ganelon and Rastriana, and I think she had kept the Tasath as her last name when they adopted me. But it was definitely bloodlined. Then he went and suicided :(
  • Lol'd heartily. Yeah, I started pronouncing it that way in my head when I realized they were similar. And I guess in most dealings Trey does carry himself with that swaggering, cocksure air. Equal parts Count Adhemar and Jaime Lannister.

• I don't have one....yet but thinking of getting one.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Gross.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I used to think Diceros meant "two-horn" but I think it just means of the mammal genus. 

At least it's better than Lionblaze.
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    edited December 2012
    Thaumas said:
    Van Helsing is OOC.
    Agreed, I didn't make it up though and now it's been apart of achaea for along ass time

• Xanatov name was my gift to @Vasool. I totally miss that guy.
  • I always thought Ikari was a nifty surname. At the time I started playing, Andelas and Zero were regular trouble makers keeping the game interesting for me. Cooper, I believe you were an Ikari then as well, but I don't think you were terribly active at that particular point in time (fall of 2001). Prophecy was an Ikari for a short stint as well.

I've never been totally happy with the Moonflair surname, but I think that has more to do with the association with Jack than anything else.
  • edited December 2012
    Check the clan list, and be amazed at the number of families that you know, or don't.

Noted members in the game - high-standing, old, good at combat, good at crafting, political maestros and so on tend to hang the connotations and associations we bring to their respective families. Not really the young 'uns. Hmm. Do we need more young families? :)

• The only complaint I have with most surnames is that there are too many letters and too much punctuation.  When titles and stuff are then added on it's like a sentence. And thus, my favourite last name ig is probably Storm..
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • Do you guys remember some of those glorious Eleusian names? If someone copy/pasted their honours to me it would be a full 15 seconds before I figured out which bit was their real name.
  • I don't remember any Eleusian ones oh wait no never mind yeah the Anachaine titles used to be fairly wordy. They're pretty tame now, though.
  • I miss them. Aba Ardhu <name> Ollywollypollywoggyumpbumpfizz and the like were pretty interesting when people reported full names on meteor hits.
  • Unless it comes up naturally or forced upon me (Mhaldor), I don't really want a surname. 

I do find it interesting that some players have surnames that span generations. I do find it silly with the adopted names of tons of characters, though. I suppose it's just how Achaea is, but I, as a person behind the mask, find is silly.

As long as it has meaning and not just something someone picks just to have one like everyone else, then it's cool.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Personally I don't think having a surname should be required.  Achaea is at the very least, strongly influenced by Greek mythology.  The iconic Gods, Goddess and Heroes didn't have surnames.

Hercules
    Achilles
    Medusa
    Theseus
    Ajax
    Hector
    Odysseus

Personally I think it would be cool if they adopted the greek habit of adding their parents to differentiate them (and its even easier in Achaea since there won't be 20 Michaels).  i.e. Ada, Daughter of Ashden
  • Yeah, requiring surnames would be a bit silly. Not only because Greek mythology. Simply because of the fact that Achaea isn't a modern, standardized world. You really don't have to go back to ancient Greece to find cultures in which there are no surnames or they aren't particularly important. Pretty much any society started out that way, and the more rural it remained, the greater the chances are that it's even still the case.

Surnames only become important in a society when it becomes more global and when, at the same time, the pool of first names is relatively small. Since first names are pretty much unique in Achaea, it makes perfect sense that most people either wouldn't have a "surname", or that it simply wouldn't be considered particularly relevant, unless it was important to someone to display his lineage.
  • I just view a surname as another epithet, rank, or title, and would place the same amount of value.
  • Achilles said:
    Personally I don't think having a surname should be required.  Achaea is at the very least, strongly influenced by Greek mythology.  The iconic Gods, Goddess and Heroes didn't have surnames.

Hercules
    Achilles
    Medusa
    Theseus
    Ajax
    Hector
    Odysseus

Personally I think it would be cool if they adopted the greek habit of adding their parents to differentiate them (and its even easier in Achaea since there won't be 20 Michaels).  i.e. Ada, Daughter of Ashden
    But would that be Ajax the Greater or Ajax the Lesser?
  • @Xenemorph, lmao man, you're too funny

As for Logahn, I had a buddy named Logan die in a wreck a while back, and just kinda adopted thename a few weeks ago in mini-memory of him.

• edited March 2013
    Skye said:
    One of the things I've always found a pity RP-wise is the lack of real family RP. We're not talking just a nuclear family with a daddy/mommy or some bad pregnancy RP whatever. But actual noble houses. Mhaldor had the closest to it with the old Lichlord and Aristata houses. Back in the day, being allowed to carry the Aristata name was an incredible honour. I don't feel the same for the families of today.

There are two Lichlord clans now, House Lichlord and The House of Lichlord. I assume the latter follows the way of a noble house, even if they are extremely inactive.

House Lichlord still follows that "way of a noble house," and no one speaks OOCly. We even have the MOST AWESOME Divine Patron EVER.
    Lichlords used to be so much more active, but people started going dormant and leaving because some people couldn't handle it. I'm not too sure about Mhaldorian policies, though, maybe some of them left because they weren't allowed to be a part of it. Firey made it awesome, when he was around.

I'll be around more. I talked to Firey recently, and he told me to show everyone the business. I've slowly been working toward it, and that's exactly what I'm going to do.
  • edited March 2013
    I've always liked Tael's surname - I have no idea when I thought of it, but I liked it purely for the sound, which is to my ear suitably haughty and aristocratic. My intention has always been for Tael's family to have a sort of resonance with the idea of "old money" what with the surname and coat of arms and tower in Mhaldor (there's technically an Escath mansion somewhere in Cyrene too). Not necessarily that Tael comes from old money (he doesn't), but that he's nearly 300 and has actually lived long enough to go from new money to old money within a single generation.

I also really like the sort of decadent, aristocratic evil that I don't think we see quite so often in Mhaldor anymore. Who doesn't enjoy scoffing at people, rolling your eyes, and muttering "philistines"?

Sadly, Tael's lineage is mostly inactive and the rest of them are largely the result of the early days when I (the player) was younger and less serious about any kind of RP. I'd actually love to add more adopted people to the family, but I've never really understood how that process ends up happening - I'd feel way too weird straight-up asking some noob to join the family and any character Tael has a decent enough relationship with to propose it already has a surname/family.

As other names go, I really like the more subtle Skywalker names. Wintermourne is easily one of my current favourites. I also really like hyphenated names that flow together well, of which Ruth and Amunet are probably the best to my mind (in fact, those are probably my favourite surnames in the game period).

Different-language names don't really bother me either. Even aside from the melange of RL languages used for IG names, we have plenty of other uses of RL languages in Achaea like French and I don't think it's hard to say explain them as remnants of other dialects of Achaean or human languages.

I don't like names like de Soulis that weirdly mix different languages in such a piece-by-piece way - it sounds like someone just took the word "soul", slapped a random suffix on it, and then threw in a de particle for good measure. The linguist in me cringes.
  • Iocun said:
    Yeah, requiring surnames would be a bit silly. Not only because Greek mythology. Simply because of the fact that Achaea isn't a modern, standardized world.
    While Achaea may not be modern from a technological standpoint, it is incredibly modern socially. While we could justify IG reasons for all of it based off of the differences between rl and Achaea, society in Achaea is very much a reflection of a world that has seen many developments in terms of civil rights, feminism, and philosophy. Even in the many institutions that were held by ancient civilizations as well as Achaea, notably governmental structures such as democracy, there is a very modern spin on them that comes out of our own ideas about how societies should function.

With that said, surnames, like pretty much every other aspect of the game, can enhance roleplay and the game environment or detract from it. At this point, they have existed for so long within the world that they are very much a part of it, and rejecting them on the basis of irl history doesn't seem like an IC decision made from a character that would have grown up with them being a very common feature.

• To add to the "why not having a surname can make sense in Achaea" discussion, while adventurers are decidedly socially modern (which makes sense given the extremely interconnected webs of communication), the average population is not. On the other hand, the city states are, by most IG indications, actually pretty gigantic in terms of population (remembering that the vast majority of the population is in the background).

Where it makes more sense not to have a surname then is in the role adventurers play in the world. Cher doesn't need a surname because everyone knows who Cher is. Adventurers are exceptional, and even newbies are, comparatively, renowned people in the world. And they represent a tiny minority of its population. Even bearing in mind that modern mononyms usually get attached to people who originally had a last name, the amnesia of the newbie intro gives you a great excuse to say you don't remember your original surname or don't remember any part of your name and chose this one.