Clan Voting

In a city, every active citizen with enough in-game time can vote in elections/referendums, which is fine, given cities' immense importance to the game.

In a house, every active HR5 member can vote in elections/referendums, which is also fine, given houses' more specialized roles, so having to work a little harder to gain a voice is acceptable.

In a clan, every active member can vote regardless of time spent in the clan or relevance to it. Would it be possible to get voting privileges as an investable power, so that a clan can limit  the voting base to specific positions, since we don't have ranks like a house does? I'm a member of a few clans that are run democratically, but we have members that are only affliates of the clan's purpose or identity, not full members or decision makers. Being able to designate who can vote and who can't would allow safer and more effective elections for clans that wanted to limit authority to a council or oligarchical style of leadership.

It could also prevent some of the more extreme cases of "clan theft" that's occurred in the past with fully democratic clans, with the ability to vote reserved for the more trusted members of the organization.
-- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.

Comments

• Perhaps give High Clans (if they don't already have this - never been in one) the ability to use further leadership styles.

For normal clans, I don't like this. For one, someone could take over a democratic clan then use it as a non-democratic clan by removing everyone's ability to vote, circumventing the one-way direction of the decision.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Like the OP, but Trevize brings up a good point.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    That's a fair point, though someone can already get elected, kick everyone, and steal the clan, outright, which is arguably worse. At least the do-it-yourself dictators would be keeping whatever the clan's purpose is alive.

Either way, I'm fine with a High Clan prerequisite.

-- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Aerek said:
    That's a fair point, though someone can already get elected, kick everyone, and steal the clan, outright, which is arguably worse. At least the do-it-yourself dictators would be keeping whatever the clan's purpose is alive.

Yes and no. I mean, I don't know what point there is in ruling nothing. And I have a sneaking feeling that if the former clan members issued him there just might be divine intervention to reclaim a high clan.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • edited March 2013
    Xith said:
    Aerek said:

Yes and no. I mean, I don't know what point there is in ruling nothing. And I have a sneaking feeling that if the former clan members issued him there just might be divine intervention to reclaim a high clan.
    EDIT: Sorry, I just actually read your post. You're quite right, in my opinion, though I'm sure the Garden would still want to be fairly light touch with Clans in 9/10 cases.  Time for coffee.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Xith said:
    Aerek said:

For High Clans, yes, I'm sure Garden intervention can be secured, but I was referring to regular clans, and the instances where an individual gets elected, kicks out the original members, and re-purposes it to his own ends, inviting his friends and such. It's happened a few times that I've heard of, and I've never heard of divine intervention in those cases, since the clan was "private property" and not Garden-monitored in any way.

In my case, both of the clans I'd like this for are not high clans. I'm actually not worried about them being stolen, either way, I just want to hold referendums that only poll selected individuals, since posting votes in the logs can easily be missed/forgotten, posting votes to the news is inefficient, and messaging votes to the head is easily manipulated. And again, a High Clan requisite still sounds fair to me, it's just more work I'd have to do before I can get started.
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    What about making voting a power that can be invested by the clan head?
  • Vayne said:
    What about making voting a power that can be invested by the clan head?
    Isn't that exactly what the thread is about?
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Yes, I thought it was quite simple.