The Saga of Bal'met

JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
edited February 2013 in The Blank Canvas
I know it's been a few months now and people are probably sick of talking about Bal'met, but I wanted to write a piece about the whole thing anyway - just to commemorate the largest event Achaea has ever seen, and in part to give me a reason to experiment with a new form of storytelling that I've been wanting to try for a while.

I started this piece in early December, but I have a habit of losing motivation halfway and letting projects sit there for a long time before eventually mustering up enough resolve to continue. Trying to write about the final battle...ergh, that got me stuck for ages. I have literally only just finished writing the last part, so if it seems a little unpolished, that's why. I'll end up revising it later, but very tired right now!

I want to preface this by saying that this isn't meant to be a rewrite of the whole event - it's just meant to be an account of the event through the eyes of a Mhaldorian. For that reason, I haven't gone into overmuch detail about the fighting parts and whatnot, choosing to leave that to the event posts - since a real journal entry wouldn't describe every hack and slash in detail (well, not mine, anyway). I thought it might be interesting for others to know what went on on the Mhaldorian end, since (I don't think, but I hope) none of this is sensitive information any more. I'll edit it out if any is found, anyway. Of course, this is an OOC forum, so please don't be taking any information you might get from this story IC. I also thought it could be a good starting point for people who just came back to get an idea of what happened, since it's all in one (very long) file. If they can ignore the deliberately skewed perspective!

Um...by the time I'd finished writing this, I couldn't be bothered to change the names any more as there were simply too many - most people already have an idea of who's who in my stories now anyway. Though my stories are usually 80% real 20% fiction, I'd say this one is by and large 90% real.

Okay, I've run out of things to ramble about. Before anyone asks, no, I haven't decided if this is going to be a Bardic entry, but just posting it here for people to enjoy in case I decide not to.

Warning: Very very long. Super long. Don't read unless have a lot of patience/time. Yes, I will be revising it obsessively again and again in the next few days, but not right now as I've stared at it for far too long already. I am never going to be a novel writer <_<

And finally, the actual link: http://pastebin.com/V3H53Gsu

Enjoy. :)
If you like my stories, you can find them here:
Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

Comments

• XerXer Langley
    I am mentioned in one of Jurixe's stories! On top of my snow day, I am extremely pleased :D
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • I'd always wondered what the Mhaldorians were doing when everyone else was setting those signal fires for Han-Tolneth.

Shoulda known you evil bastards would have been putting them out :P

• RuthRuth Singapore
    Awesome journal entry.

Also

line730, "It begain, after the" - typo!
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Hey, Jiraishin didn't even get an appearance in the story, and he's the Nagaraja.

Reading this makes me want to start keeping an IC journal again.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Jiraishin said:
    Hey, Jiraishin didn't even get an appearance in the story, and he's the Nagaraja.
    Jiraishin just recently got to truelock Iocun with a single dstab. Quit complaining!
  • Some of our young, however, have surprised me with their initiative in rising to the occasion - Xer, the young Sentry Ayoxele, and one of the new Jesters - Aeolithon - in particular seem to have formed somewhat of a fledgling strike force.

Mhaldor boy scouts / neighborhood watch.

Fantastic retelling of the story, very similar to how I recall the events. Very much liked the line about feeling drunk after the siege.
  • I did CTRL + F, typed in 'Tvistor', got no results then didn't read it because I'm hurt now.
  • Tvistor said:
    I did CTRL + F, typed in 'Tvistor', got no results then didn't read it because I'm hurt now.
    That's what you get for working in the shadows. You were so skilled that no one even noticed you were there.
  • JurixeJurixe Where you least expect it
    edited February 2013
    I'm honestly very surprised that so many people managed to read the entire thing. It is without a doubt one of the longest writing projects I have ever tried to do (and managed to complete), so kudos to you if you finished it! :D I wasn't sure I would manage to finish it, but I'm glad I did now.

I was completely not expecting reviews by @Babel and @Phaestus, thank you so much for making my day. I'm very glad you liked it, and hope it did your event justice! The reason why I haven't decided whether or not to put it in the Mhaldor library/Lucretian Athenaeum yet is because it contains a lot of personal thoughts from Jurixe, and she's not really one to make her thoughts public that way. As a reader, though, I felt that those thoughts were what gave the story depth and made it interesting. I'll think about it and try to find a way to justify it; maybe it might be nice for non forumgoers to have an IC copy of this if they'd like to read it. I also dunno if this really fits the 'Fallen Gods' theme for the bardics this time, since it's more about the entire event, but maybe I'll try my luck if my other project doesn't pan out.

I spent about an hour going through and making minor revisions again, but nothing major - however, there may or may not be a few new names. :D
    If you like my stories, you can find them here:
    Stories by Jurixe and Stories by Jurixe 2 

Interested in joining a Discord about Achaean RP? Want to comment on RP topics or have RP questions? Check the Achaean RP Resource out here: https://discord.gg/Vbb9Zfs

• Are you griefing me back by leaving me out of it, because I griefed you during it? :(
  • Read the whole thing. 9.5/10, would read again
  • I only wish I had a fraction of your writing skills. I was gripped!

• Reading this was like being a part of it instead of massive deaths and random world emotes. You keep on writing or else..  :bz
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.

• edited March 2013
    Lords Pentharian, Aegis, and Lady Pandora (a true tragedy, surely, that the prankster Goddess survived and the others did not - Lord Hermes's last blessing to Her, perhaps?)

I lol'd hard at this part. Love it.
  • Thank you, I was not around for this and have no idea what it was about!
  • SaralynneSaralynne Cyrene
    edited November 2014
    Wish I could have read it.  I've been fascinated by the oral stories.  Apparently, the pastebin was overwritten and your story isn't there anymore. I'm sure it was fantastic.  Did you ever put it all in a book to read?  I don't know if Cyrenians are banned from Mhaldor, since Mhaldorians are banned from Cyrene, but I would totally brave the red fog to go read this, if it is in Mhaldor's library somewhere. :smiley: 
  • XerXer Langley
    edited November 2014
    You could always try talking to someone in Mhaldor! :D Or several someones if it doesn't work out at first haha
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    Oh God. This was necro'd. Send letters that whisper sweet nothings to @xer it'll catch his attention, and get you books!
  • XerXer Langley
    *Note to self... go kill Marks more often...*
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    *note to self, plaugh xer more often.*
  • @Jurixe Do you still have that? I wouldn't mind sticking it on the official wiki, for instance.
  • HeroseHerose Nova Scotia, Canada
    It's in the Scriptorium in Mhaldor as well! 
  • XerXer Langley
    Dammit, you're supposed to keep that secret! Now Cyrene's going to muster a massive force and raid to try and read it!
    e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
  • SharaShara Midlands
    It's worth the cupcake brigade raid to read. Though, Araval might not like it. She can be really scary when she wants to be.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    1. It won a bardic! So if you want to read it out of game it can be found on the website in the bardic archives here: http://www.achaea.com/bardic/the-saga-of-balmet

2. All bardic entries that win are put in books in the Lucretian Athenaeum, the central library in New Thera. So, if you want to read it in game (in a neutral location), go take a look there. See below:

The Hall of Histories (indoors).
    --- Area 36: New Thera ----------------------
    A birch bookshelf is here.
    You see exits leading southeast and southwest.

p bookshelf
    A birch bookshelf has the following volumes in circulation:
    * M13233   The Seleucarian Empire, Part 2: The Wars of Succession - Volume Two.
    * M70259   The Seleucarian Empire: The Founding and the Black Wave - Volume One.
    * M82159   The Seleucarian Empire: The Founding and the Black Wave - Volume Two.
    * M83970   The Seleucarian Empire, Part 2: The Wars of Succession - Volume One.
    * M90147   The Seleucarian Empire, Part 3: The Fall of Seleucar
    * M261244  The Modern Age - 179AF to 302AF
    * M13987   The Modern Age - Snapshots of Achaea
    * J246196  The History of the Mortal Races
    * J89411   The Saga of Bal'met
    This bookshelf holds 9 volumes and may hold up to 69.

checkout 89411
    You check out a volume from the library.
    A black leather journal is due in about 1 Achaean days from now.

read journal
    "The Saga of Bal'met", By Jurixe S. Nithilar, the High Ascendant (Page 1)

[...]

T H E   S A G A   O F   B A L ' M E T
                  -----------------------------------------

an excerpt from the private notes of

Jurixe S. Nithilar

Nagarani, Viceroy

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"