Forest Conflict

Comments

• edited March 2013

Mishgul said:
    That was my question. What else would Eleusis do if not defend nature.
    What do the other cities do?

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    raid each other afaik

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Mhaldor exterminates.

Ashtan roflstomps things, Cyrene does paperwork. Targossas, we'll see.
  • Chryenth said:
    Mhaldor exterminates.

Ashtan roflstomps things, Cyrene does paperwork. Targossas, we'll see.
    I think you're missing one.
  • I'm fine with team green having a way to strike back that isn't raiding as long as they can be enemied to all non-forest locations, which makes them open pk and take periodic damage and Mhaldor will have to get fog-flow for ganking.
  • Just to play Devil's advocate Nature is not a puppy in the other room getting beaten, it is vast and all encompassing which includes the "dirty" Mhaldorians. It can take care of itself!

Imagine if we didn't, you know.... Give them what they wanted all the time?

There are other options to RP than zealous combat and defense. Forestals love and serve Nature and combat is not the only way to do that.
  • We shall beat them with Crafting! Our needle and thread is our sword and our pies are our shield!
  • edited March 2013
    Idelisa said:
    Just to play Devil's advocate Nature is not a puppy in the other room getting beaten, it is vast and all encompassing which includes the "dirty" Mhaldorians. It can take care of itself!
    I agree: I would really enjoy an opportunity to roleplay a forestal in a world in which Nature is all-powerful and can take care of itself, in which our devotion to Nature is not based on protecting it. That sounds delightful and fascinating--it would open up a whole new avenue of roleplay.

But (and I'm not sure if this is what you meant or not) that's only possible if extermination is deleted. It would be incoherent for us to say "Nature can take care of itself, it doesn't need protecting" if there was anything resembling an extermination mechanism. The forests manifestly cannot protect themselves from being exterminated, and extermination is purposely characterized as the destruction of the very Nature-y essence of a natural area. The sole purpose of an extermination mechanism is to make it so Nature needs to be protected from something.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    I don't really get the "MUST DEFEND AT ALL TIMES EVEN WHEN ITS POINTLESS" take toward the RP. I play a Knight, an individual sworn every bit as zealously to Cyrene as any forestal to Nature, but if Cyrene is getting raided by a clearly superior force, and I don't have the means to repulse it, I have zero issues making a token attempt to defend and then telling the city to go hunt for a while.

Multiple suicide runs are not required. RP is important, but so is having fun. Don't let one curb-stomp the other.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • I was not present for the discussions which involved Eleusians arguing with Gaia. I think, in part, that is byproduct of our training system - as is our need to jump and try and stop each and every extermination. 

I know in Druids, and in Sylvans (Sylvans borrowed from the Druid Novice tests quite liberally when they were formed), and most likely in Sentinels as well , there is a "Novice" question which is along the lines of "If a Divine told you to harm the Forest or they would destroy your family/friends/loved ones what would you do?" the encouraged response is to not do so, and to acc3pt the possibility that the Divine might be wrong or possessed or something/anything. That question is posed as if the Divine could equally be Sartan or a Divine aligned with Nature. Similar questions are posed with other risk analyses, each time the preferred response is "Nothing, nobody, is more important than Nature."

Artemis is quite clear on this topic as well. Nature comes before Her. When She says Nature she does not mean it to be Herself, or any other Divine, but the lands upon which we walk, the air that we breathe, etc.

So we're trained, from day one, that Divine are not to be obeyed without question and if we so much as even consider not helping protect Nature, we are "bad forestals."

Perhaps if we were instead trained that there is more than one way to serve and protect Nature. That defense is one. That learning about it is another. That nurturing it is another. That there are many paths to being "Of Nature."

But in today's world we have no option (unless we want to RP a forestal who does not fit the commonly held definition, and have others point fingers at us behind our backs) but to drop everything and run when there is risk - and yes, because of those "entry" questions, to have a mind set, where even the questioning of a Divine is not untoward.

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• RuthRuth Singapore
    What's wrong with being a green version of Mhaldor? :(
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    It'd be like acid rain fog. +1
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Iocun said:
    Well, green red fog would be a bit silly.
    PURPLE!

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• Iocun said:
    Now THIS I would pay to see.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Iocun said:
    It's always Christmas in Flowerdor
  • SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    Mishgul said:
    Mhaldor would make a pretty good city of Nature judging by this thread, and Eleusis should be Cyrene.
    If we become city of Nature, do we get a god? D:
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• Sherazad said:
    Mishgul said:
    Mhaldor would make a pretty good city of Nature judging by this thread, and Eleusis should be Cyrene.
    If we become city of Nature, do we get a god? D:
    Yes, but the catch is the new god rules beside dormant Sartan.

• SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    @Cahin: Tru Suffering :(
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• If we are able to restore Nature's essence, doesn't that mean it's impossible for Mhaldorians to completely exterminate it?   Just saying, they'd get pretty bored after a while if we just went around cleaning up after them instead of giving them EXP and a rush.

Mhaldorians are part of Nature too.  Oakstone is a dictator.  Exterms are just stupid griefing. 
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    I couldn't bring my forestal alt to join Eleusis. Even if it's a treetop village. The snuggly creepers were too creepy, as is that one dude that flows to your grove to hug you uninvited. :P

Having said that, while I can't be bothered participating much in defense, it's never been a bother to fix rooms and replant once people go home. It's no different to fixing rooms after a fire.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."