Understanding weddings (in-game)

Off the post that @Lianca made, I'm curious to understand weddings in-game. Can someone explain them to me? I don't get it. The characters themselves fell in love or the people behind the characters had/have something going on, like an internet romance?

I'm not being rude or anything, I just honestly don't get it.

Comments

• edited March 2013
    It's never preplanned, really.  Nell met Tessa by chance and they just kinda hit it off.  It's just organic roleplaying - the characters act and react with each other.  I mean, it's basically the same thing as becoming IC friends with someone but with romance.

To go further, the pair have been together for more than a decade at this point and are still quite happy (though RL events on both our parts have kept the wedding from happening)

It all depends on the people.  I'm happy with about any roleplay, and thus I didn't shy away from Nell getting feelings for her at a point.  It's all about the characters.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Myself and the player behind Khairt are friends and have never been romantically involved. Our characters have been married for about 260 years in game, which is about a decade now.

In my situation, it was between roleplaying and planning things OOCly. We sat down, had a conversation on the pros and cons to letting our characters marry, and it went from there. The characters are very much in love, and we both have a good distinction on the difference between IC and OOC. It seems to work well for us.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• imo, any ic character relationship with an ooc relationship/feelings behind it is doomed to complicated disaster.  But that might be because my character is not me... at all. 

Weddings are ways for my character to be herself. Just because Averi likes a guy doesn't mean I like him too.  Romance is an important part of her character. Some of my other chars don't do the whole relationship thing mainly because that's not who they are. Weddings are just one way to like rp the entire thing out. 
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • As an expansion, I wonder if players who are friends in RL, have had their characters develop a relationship and marry IG and from that have eventually gone on to have a relationship and marriage in RL too.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • I think there was at least one thread on that in the old forums.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • I know there are people who have met IG then RL and had a RL relationship from there.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • Romance RP is just another layer of character development. One that can be unique in bringing out a softer/sweeter side in an otherwise harsh/strict character, so can be very interesting. :)

Some relationships are purely IC. Some have no IC/OOC border, and what the character feels is what the player feels. Some are in between, where you can have strict IC/OOC barriers, so there are major differences between the characters and players relationships, and often levels of devotion - I mean it makes sense to fall head over heels for someone over an IC year, but not two weeks!

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• RuthRuth Singapore
    IG wedding/intimate relationships that become full-blown crush and love relationships IRL often cause more trouble than not. Learnt that a couple of times. Both sides need to be mature about things progressing in the game and decide if it makes them uncomfortable IRL or not.

Yang and I are good friends outside of the game.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• LiancaLianca Fire and Spice
    Sohl's player and I are great friends outside of Achaea, but that's become the case way after Lia and Sohl got together. ICly those two just fit, she's a nagging workaholic and he's a layabout combatant and they have their cute moments. It's really a way to add another dimension to a character, from scholar to fighter to religious, a relationship allows for family and a sharing of the things they do together. Lia and Sohl share a lot of religious, House and city ties, that strengthens them and the work they do.
    The sweltering heat of the forge spills out across the land as the rumbling voice of Phaestus booms, "I want you to know, the Garden reaction to that one is: What?"
    The voice of Melantha, Goddess of the Seasons, echoes amid the rustle of leaves, "That's the censored version."
  • One of my old characters (almost, was engaged for 1234567 months) married the person I was dating at the time and that failed terribly, we had totally different play styles and levels of OOC/IC boundaries and taking the relationship as an assumption from the start just killed any character development for the both of us.

Like with most things I find in Achaea, it always works better in you let it play out in organic RP, keep in mind that you and your character may be related, but you live in different worlds with different attitudes and motivations.
  • I think there are two ways for romance/marriage to work from an IC perspective in Mhaldor - one is for both parties to acknowledge that Sartan/Mhaldor/etc comes first, and their partner is a clear second, and that you have chosen your partner because of their strengths. The other is to acknowledge that there is some major flaws in your priorities, and question how you can remain devoted to both - possibly by working at it till you are back in the first example, or leave Mhaldor, or just continue on, secretly knowing you are not as ideal a servant of Evil as you appear on the outside.

Isn't the Apocrypha the one that's kind of a huge joke? I have never heard good things about it - correct me if I'm confusing it with something else, clearly I haven't read it in a long time, but if that's the case, that wouldn't stop me.

• edited March 2013
    Yeah, I never understood it either (I'm speaking as a single person). I mean, on some level I think it's cool when characters develop enough to have a relationship/marriage with someone, but personally (maybe because I'm usually weirded out by touchy-feely stuff in RL as well), it weirds me, the player out so I never wanted Hyraeth to go that way. I did have her roleplay an unrequited love for a couple of RL years because I figured I had /some/ responsibility to have her have /some/ romance in her life (while I, the player had some romance issues IRL, might I add) o . O but -- I play games (MUD/graphic etc) to /run away/ from stuff like that so I generally scare the players off who are trying to court my girl. Now I just say she's shacked up with Tremayn and have her be all woeful because people keep killing her hunny. I think that's more than enough romance and drama for her, amirite?
  • edited March 2013
    First IG 'relationship' was formed purely because of OOC friendship. Gildenlow and I use to speak on the Aussies clan and when he heard I was getting bothered by a person with mudsex intentions he literally swooped in and proposed engagement (tracked, mangled all my limbs and asked me to marry him). I think it worked well between us and we played it off as basically a loveless relationship, he was engaged to me because he saw me being powerful later on and wanted in on it, I marrying him because he was already a high ranking citizen of Mhaldor and would help her career.

Second being Mathonwy, we've been friends IRL for years as well as IG. There's been a healthy respect between the two characters since their inception, pretty much every 'crisis' Tahq's had in her life Math's been there. City swaps, class swaps, general ranting. Even when giving him some bad advice in sarcasm and him following it to her irritance. Retroactively I've been playing it off as Tahq somewhat stalking him, just silently observing and assessing him. OOC we've joked about it for a while then one day we were like 'why the fuck not?'

As for IC intimacy, it's more expressed with words and attitudes to him which separates him from the inferior world. And the extent of my ability to make intimate emotes is 'emote does the makey-outy stuff'.
  • edited March 2013
    Woah that was a lot of words to say nothing.
    Math and Tahq will probably never get married because, I don't think either of us really give a shit. Plus just staying engaged gives me a count of how long it's been since my last hissy fit at Math.

I've never been one of those girls who dreamed about their wedding day, who look through 'Perfect bride' Magazines or plan dresses etc. and I think that's something that you sorta, need to organise a IG wedding. It's a way to have what you want, but probably can't do/afford/put together.

But if I did, we would have an elephant and do it as a mother fucking trapeze act.
  • @Tahquil I haaate the thought of organising an IG wedding. Katz's ex husband basically insisted on an actual public ceremony, and I was like, ugh. It was really small, and not much planning went into it, because I just hated the whole idea of it, and wanted it over and done with.

I don't get those women who go nuts over wedding plans. But then marriage has never been a big thing in my world. Neither of my parents married, even though my mum and 'stepdad' have been together since I was a baby.

If Katzchen ever marries again, I would insist on a private ceremony/vows/etc, just between her and her partner.

• SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    My first character was married maybe 3x. First one was with a friend I code with, the second was a friend I gossiped with >.> and the third was just because we can. While I have RP'd being married, I don't think I've RP'd being very in love. >.> It'll probably be too fake and exhausting so I've never tried. 

With Shera, I've learned to sort of be asexual (rofl siren tho) and it's working out quite well. 
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    If your IC marriage survives a 5 (rl) year dormancy, you're married for life.

I like that Kyrra can do the pining thing when Khairt isn't actively playing but thankfully neither of us pin a lot on activity. It's lovely when the other is around but it's not a deal breaker if they are not.

I had actually wanted to have a proper wedding ceremony for Kyrra. I'd found the most gorgeous black wedding dress and veil in Mhaldor that was designed by Tyn. I really miss Tyn. Anyways, I got impatient after a while and when the waiting time was over, I dragged Khairt and Lady Selene together for a really simple wedding where were both just said "I do" and Selene made it official.

I really do enjoy that other side of Kyrra that is the wife and mother. It's seldom ever seen publicly but I think it gives her dimension all the same, which results in character growth.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    I want to slap Tyn for her incessant coming back getting things half done then quitting again >(

Khairt is the manliest man I have ever met. He is what I aspire to be.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • edited March 2013
    @Kenway that's like the most accurate description of our ig relationship ever. 

Averi started talking/annoying @Kenway mainly to annoy @Yure. Sadly when we were like "We're going out!" neither Yure nor Xae freaked out as we expected them to. It was anticlimatic. Xae was just like ok. Yure at least peered at us a bit.

Yure still says Averi's married to her brother because Averi couldn't win her heart.

Edit: I would like a copy of that log too if you guys have it, please! Mudlet crashed when I was trying to save it. @Verrucht holds the best weddings. 
    Commission List: Aesi, Kenway, Shimi, Kythra, Trey, Sholen .... 5/5 CLOSED
    I will not draw them in the order that they are requested... rather in the order that I get inspiration/artist block.
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    For the record, Kenway still says that's why you married him too.

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten