Pictures of horrible spiders

Comments

• Hrrrm.

When was I get going home, again?
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    i approve 

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • I approve, guys at work however do not.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Oh. My. God. @Cardan :(

As much as my tolerance toward the eight legged folk is increasing due to this thread, I would probably freak out on a massive level if that happened to me.

My coffee is sacred. Defiling the first cup of the day with a spider is beyond cruel.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• @Kyrra don't worry too much. I'm sure your cup of coffee is just fine...just keep checking to make sure...you might want to cover it just in case...take quick sips...
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • EldEld
    edited March 2013
    Really, that looks like a reason to make fresh coffee in the morning instead of drinking the half-cup you left out overnight.
  • Eld said:
    Really, that looks like a reason to make fresh coffee in the morning instead of drinking the half-cup you left out overnight.
    You need a reason for that? I though that the fact it was left out all night would be reason enough!
  • Valden said:
    Eld said:
    You need a reason for that? I though that the fact it was left out all night would be reason enough!
    Well, yet another reason. I won't claim I've never finished off a cup of coffee that had sat out overnight, but that usually involves hangovers, and even then I wouldn't do it if it had milk in it.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    You can get a couple of those at thinkgeek :) Dishwashers would probably be fine but hand washing those would be annoying after a while.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Dishwashers? What is this witchery of which you speak?
  • Kyrra said:
    You can get a couple of those at thinkgeek :) Dishwashers would probably be fine but hand washing those would be annoying after a while.
    I miss my old dishwasher since moving out and am trying to get one, but can't really afford it until I return from my holiday to Japan.
    Valden said:
    Eld said:
    Dishwashers? What is this witchery of which you speak?
    They are also known as children.
    Yes, but for some reason, people tend to frown at you when you try to buy this type of dishwasher. And woe betide anyone who tries to steal one.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States

• Cardan said:
    For those of you that need a coffee first thing in the morning........

think again......

Aussie's got 8-legged problems,
    but a sheila ain't one.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Kresslack said:
    And just found this, and thought it was pretty neat:

video

No idea why he just let it go RIGHT outside his house...on his house even. 

Egon is the best cat. 

• @Ryukishi much prefer the gif in your sig
  • Ryukishi said:
    Haha, I like how he arms himself with a knife and a football helmet.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Ryukishi said:
    Haha, I like how he arms himself with a knife and a football helmet.
    And the fact the tarantula still went into the bucket like he intended!
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• Here's the entry for the wandering spider, from my extinct 'Brazil' thread from 2008 / 2009:

Now we get to the world's deadliest spider, the Brazilian wandering spider, or Armadeira as it's known down here (I'll explain the name soon).

There's eight species, all of which can be found in various parts of Brazil. Though two of them in particular are responsible for most accidents.

imageimage

Above is one of the rarer species, I chose this picture because it was one of the few that showed the spider 'at rest'. We'll get to that.

The wandering spider, as the name says, doesn't build webs, it wanders the jungle floor at night. But it will often enter yards or houses in search of shelter or prey; keeping a clean, debris-free backyard is the first line of defense against these critters. Any sort of debris provides a haven for insects and mice, which in turn attract the wandering spider.

This creature's signature, however, is its fighting stance. Whenever it feels threatened it'll rear up into a characteristic pose, sometimes swaying slightly from side to side:

imageimage

imageimage

This is where its name comes from, when it's like this we say it's armada (ie, in its fighting stance, as would also be a snake about to strike, for example).

When you see this, kill it. I'm serious. Backing down is usually not an option. These spiders are insanely aggressive. Poke a tarantula with a stick and it'll run from you. Poke a wandering spider and it may jump onto the stick and try to bite your hand. Oh, and they bite repeatedly. There are reports of wandering spiders chasing after humans, but these may be exaggerated. Or not.

They seem to have poor control over how much venom they deliver - you could end up with a dry bite, or a minimal amount of venom injected. Which is a good thing, because their venom is a highly effective neurotoxin, and reported to have the most painful effect of all spider venoms. Outright deaths to this spider are rare, but out of all the people who die worldwide to spider bites, most are killed by wandering spiders.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    I've been chased by huntsman spiders and I don't care that they are harmless. Anything that turns around and rushes at me will result in me squealing like a girl and running the hell away.

Interesting colour variations, especially between the top photo and the bottom ones. The last one is quite pretty.