HTML5 client, version 2

2»

Comments

• Dakuan said:
    2. Remove diagnose skill. Make all buffs and debuffs on character visible on screen right away. This diagnose thing is just annoying, nothing else.
    3. Instead of character portrait add enemy hp bar, so you could easier track combat dynamics.

The diagnose skill (now, once it didn't) presently uses one of the balances because giving instant and free diagnose causes problems for skills like illusion and the Loki venom.

Tracking enemy damage levels (including limb) is presently a hard to script thing.  Making it obvious has serious balance issues.

• edited March 2013
    The diagnose skill (now, once it didn't) presently uses one of the balances because giving instant and free diagnose causes problems for skills like illusion and the Loki venom.

Tracking enemy damage levels (including limb) is presently a hard to script thing.  Making it obvious has serious balance issues. 

I doubt that removing things like diagnose will be hard hit for vets. But frustration of not being able to cure self because you forgot to learn such skill, and lack of visual representation of debuffs on you, can easily turn off new players.
    I also dont understand complains about making it obvious/easier, when you guys use systems that do all combat for you automatically. 

• Not always knowing exactly what defences and afflictions you have is an important part of combat in Achaea.
  • Dakuan said:

I doubt that removing things like diagnose will be hard hit for vets. But frustration of not being able to cure self because you forgot to learn such skill, and lack of visual representation of debuffs on you, can easily turn off new players.
    I also dont understand complains about making it obvious/easier, when you guys use systems that do all combat for you automatically. 

You've demonstrated that you don't understand combat either then. That's not how it works.

If you want a semi-free diagnose, go Priest, their diagnose takes no equilibrium but requires balance and equilibrium.
  • edited March 2013
    Dakuan said:

To give a potentially less hostile answer - yes, that would absolutely help with new players. Those things are indeed going to turn a number of people away.

Unfortunately, there's no good solution - you can't have it both ways - because changing that aspect to make afflictions visible (to say nothing of needing to memorize thirty different icons) would destroy game balance along a number of important axes. The inability to know for certain what afflictions you have is a core concept for a lot of the combat and it would be a monumental effort to remove it (and one that would make combat less interesting).

It's also untrue that everyone has systems that do all combat for them automatically. People have systems that automate the simpler things in order to do them more quickly - they've gotten quite sophisticated now, but they're far, far from full automation. And the degree to which you can automate offence at all is, for many if not most classes, pretty limited.

Think of a system like a ship's rudder. You could technically steer a ship by sticking your hand in the water, but that's really not going to work very well compared to a rudder. But even with a rudder, you still have to pilot the ship.

Even the best systems crumple in seconds without someone competent at the helm when they go up against a competent opponent.

Edit: More on topic, that client looks *%#ing awesome. As others have said, if I didn't recoil at the very thought of abandoning all of the code I'd written in Mudlet, I would switch over in a heartbeat.
  • Perhaps current players should be treated to that nice graphical experience as well... hmm!
  • Vadimuses said:
    Perhaps current players should be treated to that nice graphical experience as well... hmm!

The client is for anyone to use, newbie or veteran. I use it full-time, for instance, whether I'm on as a god or mortal.
  • Sarapis said:
    Vadimuses said:
    Perhaps current players should be treated to that nice graphical experience as well... hmm!

The client is for anyone to use, newbie or veteran. I use it full-time, for instance, whether I'm on as a god or mortal.
    No idea why, but the first thought that came into my head was "I'm not saying I'm Sarapis, I'm just saying no one has ever seen me and Sarapis in a room together."
    meh

• @Sarapis pays no attention to that silly little rule about multiplaying! He be da boss!