Earrings of Sinope

Firstly, can we reopen the idea of a more generic option for earrings that don't indicate that you're travelling to your 13 true loves (such as an earring of Callisto with a more generic travel message)? Ideas related to this were closed waiting for the new artefact system, which is in now but doesn't address it. Further, can earring sales be changed so that each partner has to BUY EARRING PAIRED WITH <person> for 400cr each so that one person isn't screwed with no possibility of recompense if the person who actually bought the earrings goes dormant?

Comments

• You think of your platonic friend, X, and travel to him/her.
  • @Silas said:
    Further, can earring sales be changed so that each partner has to BUY EARRING PAIRED WITH <person> for 400cr each so that one person isn't screwed with no possibility of recompense if the person who actually bought the earrings goes dormant?

Could you elaborate on this point? Im not entirely certain I understand how that would fix anything. This might be because it is 5 am and my brain isn't necessarily functioning right now, but still!

• CardanCardan The Garden
    I'm happy for us to discuss ideas for new names/messages in this thread but just to clarify, the changes to the customisation system that went aren't the slated changes to the artefact system.
    Silas said:
    Further, can earring sales be changed so that each partner has to BUY EARRING PAIRED WITH <person> for 400cr each so that one person isn't screwed with no possibility of recompense if the person who actually bought the earrings goes dormant?
    Do people routinely "pool" credits to have one purchase the earrings for both of them or am I missing something here?
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    My first set of earrings, I went halves with my husband. He was the person that owned them and he traded them in after I went dormant, so when I came back, no earrings and no reimbursement for the credits I put towards them, which is fair enough because at the time, he thought I would never return to playing.

For the three sets of earrings I've owned, I paid the full 800 credits, I own them, and if people go dormant, I have no issues trading them in because they're useless without the other person.

On the basis that two people contribute 400 credits for earrings, the trade in value of 533 credits still goes to a single person. And if you're not the person that owns the earrings, you can't currently trade an earring in. Unless I'm mistaken, people are asking for the option to trade in their earrings with someone without being the person that owns them. So both people having to BUY EARRING would make them the owner of that earring, and they can trade it in and get something back.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited March 2013
    Cardan said:
    I'm happy for us to discuss ideas for new names/messages in this thread but just to clarify, the changes to the customisation system that went aren't the slated changes to the artefact system.
    Silas said:
    Do people routinely "pool" credits to have one purchase the earrings for both of them or am I missing something here?
    Oftentimes, yes, people will pay 400cr each. If you're not the owner and your earring partner goes dormant, though, you just got shafted.

ETA: @Antidas, this way you could trade in your earring to get back 264cr if your earring partner goes dormant instead of just eating a 400cr loss.

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Easiest way is for owner of the earrings to just pay the bulk (maybe 600 of the 800).  Then if the other goes dormant just have the new partner pay the 100 credit transfer fee.  If you were the one paying 200 then at least you didn't lose as much.  But this is pretty much an agreement made prior to buying the earrings.
  • Silas said:
    Firstly, can we reopen the idea of a more generic option for earrings that don't indicate that you're travelling to your 13 true loves (such as an earring of Callisto with a more generic travel message)? Ideas related to this were closed waiting for the new artefact system, which is in now but doesn't address it. Further, can earring sales be changed so that each partner has to BUY EARRING PAIRED WITH <person> for 400cr each so that one person isn't screwed with no possibility of recompense if the person who actually bought the earrings goes dormant?
    Perhaps set it to where earrings are bought for 400cr without pairing, and are paired afterwards via command - and set a time limit between changing pairings. Could also set a limit of how many earrings one can have, if so inclined.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Yeah, timed pairing sounds much better, imo. 

• Or 
    make each earring cost 350cr;
    cost to open or change connection to another earring 50cr;
    cost to accept connection from another earring 50cr;
    a single earring can only have one unique connection at any given time.
  • Hideyoshi said:
    Or 
    make each earring cost 350cr;
    cost to open or change connection to another earring 50cr;
    cost to accept connection from another earring 50cr;
    a single earring can only have one unique connection at any given time.
    That works too. :)
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Cardan said:
    Silas said:
    @Cardan

I was under the impression that pretty much every pair of earrings bought involved people sharing the cost of them.

I've been on both sides. I bought my then girlfriend credits on her account and we got earrings together. I tried to get the credits refunded to me when we decided to trade them in, but couldn't.

I also screwed Silas out of his credits the time we had earrings, and couldn't give him his share back because they were returned as bound (not that I would have anyway, since I got to use them like twice in the ~6 months we had them since he instantly went dormant after I bought them).

• Sidonia said:
    You think of your platonic friend, X, and travel to him/her.

Can't touch this.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.