Comments

*shrug*
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• Wysteria said:

*shrug*
    NONE OF THOSE PEOPLE HAVE A PROMISING MORAL OUTLOOK.

Still don't mind worshipping Jaime Lannister. I just don't won't be hitting on anything anywhere near his sister.

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere

He's even got like, wet sand on him and stuff. Plus his bro's the God of Thunder and Lightning so you know he's got a pedigree. >_>

• Just wondering how @Scarlatti's portrait will go. Has to be one that would make all the girls (and some men) swoon. Brad Pitt ala Troy? :-?

• edited March 2013
    Gorgeous, @Skye, gorgeous.

Your doodle is pretty too.
  • NimNim
    edited March 2013

For me, most of the God pictures do seem larger-than-life enough. The issue is that Achaea is a game full of larger-than-life adventurers, and the pictures don't really exceed that. For example, go through the gallery, and try to ignore the context (or have someone who doesn't play Achaea do this for you) as you look through the pictures. It's not immediately obvious in some cases which are Gods and which are mortals. Yeah, Aurora looks pretty darn cool, but so do the knight and blademaster!

This might not be so big of an issue, except that in-game, Gods do have more of a presence than mortal adventurers. Aside from usually attracting more attention than the typical adventurer would, they're more obvious to the actual player as well. For example, their name tends to show up as a different color, their tells have a different lead-in message, their shouts are more audible than player shouts are, and usually more impressive as well). All this creates such a sense of presence and power, without the God even doing anything, that the pictures rarely match.

In other words, and this is just my opinion as a player, but the pictures are technically correct, and generally well done, but some of them haven't seemed stylistically ideal.

If you're drawing a hardboiled, noir detective, you might want to draw the picture to be dark, gritty, maybe even moody. The Phaestus one had him at a well-lit bagel shop during a sunday morning, which is fine, even hardboiled detectives need their breakfast, but it doesn't fully explain the character. This one has the detective in his office, but instead of being a silhouette smoking a cigarette in a dark room, lamenting how all his problems involve crazy broads, mobsters with guns, or both, there's no excessive dark visuals at all, and he's just sort of going through files or something.

The pictures certainly have detectives in them, and they're often well-done pictures of detectives, but you're trying to tell me that these two detectives are the hardboiled ones, and that the ones that're gunning down mobsters are the boring paper-pusher kind.

ETA: That said, this one does feel like a God to me, but I think that's the Greek visuals plus him being underwater. I'm too lazy to fix my metaphor, though!

Also, stingray <3

• I do hope though that the next batch of godpics would feature them in more dynamic poses. ie. Deucalion leaning forward in a combat pose, ready to Firebend, Zuko-styleincinerate a swarm of Chaotic entities.

• Sarapis said:
    Kresslack said:
    Poseidon Pic
    Remember that Neraeos is not the God of the Oceans. That was Caspian, his father, whom I'd envision more like the above, if not so over-the-top. 

@Kresslack Well, his current desc sounds like Fylakas, though it's not identical in detail. Similar though. 
    That's the first thing that ran through my mind when I saw the picture. Caspian would be, to me, the Poseidon-y grey haired/bearded older God of the Sea while Neraeos would be the boyish God of the Seas taking His fathers place after death. To me, the picture portrays that image perfectly.

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Skye said:

He's even got like, wet sand on him and stuff. Plus his bro's the God of Thunder and Lightning so you know he's got a pedigree. >_>
    What are you insinuating?! Neraeos would never cheat on Miley Cyrus!
  • If I were a divine whose picture was said to lack the presence they do, I would take that as a sincere compliment. Your characters are well played, to the point these pictures don't do you all justice. The pictures are, in and of themselves, very well done.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    I expected him to be bluer

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • Sylvance said:
    I get Sarapis' frustration with the 'y u no look like god' comments.  But the problem is that the opening line of their DESCRIPTION is 's/he is a radiant immortal'.  So, somehow, they all look like radiant immortals, whether or not they're wearing the onesies or ninja socks. It would be no different if somebody put up a picture of an ugly woman and somebody complained 'Well that doesn't look like a Siren'. Well, the Siren help file clearly states that Siren appearance is as varied as definitions of beauty; that is, a Siren could conceivably look like pretty much anything. But 'it doesn't look like a Siren' would still be a valid complaint.

I suspect that the whole radiant immortal thing isn't just about physical appearance, it's more about the 'feel' that the god exudes, but the only way to convey that sense through a picture is to make it physically present in the picture somehow.
    Radiant is in no way about giving off rays of light or anything like that, at least in that use there. It's just a word I chose to put in front of the descriptions of Gods 14 years ago or whatever that I liked and seemed fitting. Similarly to how a "glowing" bride on her wedding day is not actually glowing.  
  • Sarapis said:

Radiant is in no way about giving off rays of light or anything like that, at least in that use there. It's just a word I chose to put in front of the descriptions of Gods 14 years ago or whatever that I liked and seemed fitting. Similarly to how a "glowing" bride on her wedding day is not actually glowing.  
    Don't tell my wife.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • I really like all the pictures of the Divine, my only "pet dislike" is that they are all in odd poses with almost emotionless/blank expressions on their faces.

The thing I absolutely love about the race/class pictures is that each is in action and they have great emotion expressed. I would have loved to have seen the Divine pictures done in a similar style.

Other than that keep them rolling out, I love them!

• Sarapis said:
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • This is just like how Hermione was nowhere near that hot in the books.
  • edited March 2013
    It's pretty much all Ourania's fault, really.  That pic set a certain bar and flipping through the gallery, none of the comparable "humanoid" pics really quite measure up.  Some of the things that really stand out are that it manages to look matronly without looking... well, matronly, and her body actually looks like a graceful woman walking out of a picture.  Finally, her face and eyes are "right" and have an expression of intelligence and inner fire (Neraeos looks like he's having a bit of a derp moment).  

EDIT:  which really isn't the end of the world that one pic is so stellar.  I love the ocean setting on this one, and the creatures - really, as far as well done backdrops, it's a toss up between this and Phaestus.  One of my favorite artists made his entire career doing backdrops, essentially (Eyvind Earle).  I'm not an artist but it's not hard to believe why the face and eyes are considered to be so incredibly difficult.
  • edited March 2013
    Ourania: setting the bar high since cleavage.

That came out wrong, and right at the same time.
  • Wysteria said:
    tbh my first thought on seeing the artwork was this:

which then made me think this:

and then it escalated to this:

(Fabio, the most beautiful man in the Cosmos — character played by Shaun Micallef)

I'm sorrrrrryyyyy!!!
    You can't leave it there without posting one of his famous love tips:

Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • I am FABIO! The most BEAUTIFUL MAN ON THE COS-MOS! Ah hah ah hah hah hah [keeps mouthing laugh with no sound]

• Including the black holes!
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • Hail Neroes!

• HyperlithHyperlith San Fierro area, San Andreas
    Y'all are doing Brad Pitt wrong: