Neraeos, God of the Sea

Comments

• edited March 2013

• @Katzchen, Sorry, Sartan's tight pants just got bested by lady-boy hair
  • When some of you say the pictures "don't look like Gods" I really have no idea what you mean. Gods don't "look" like anything in particular. Sarapis, for instance, just looks like a guy in grey robes whose face is hidden in shadow. . Unless he feels like putting on some armor. Then he looks like a guy in armor. Or he wants to wear a kilt. Then he's a guy in a kilt (but you know it'd be an awesome kilt). Sarapis, the most powerful God in existence (except for Bal'met's great-uncle once-removed... but pretend I didn't say that), could be found wearing bright orange socks with ninjas on them. What good is power if you can't indulge your whims, and what are Achaea's Gods if not basically mortals with a lot of power and experience, ala the Greek and Roman gods? Sarapis might be an exception as he's playing the really long game, but the other Gods really are like the humanistic, flawed beings that inhabit Greek mythology. 

Some examples of how Greeks and Romans saw their Gods, for instance. 

Also, go have a look at old depictions of Jesus from the Christian religion. Like this one. http://coacheshotseat.com/coacheshotseatblog/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Jesus71.jpg

Godly is as godly does. If a god wants to wander around looking like a beggar, He or She is perfectly capable of doing so, and is just as much of a God whilst doing so. 

That picture of Neraeos, for instance, is exactly what his description has him looking like, and always has. He is a very youthful-appearing God, which may seem appropriate given that he's also a very new God, relatively speaking (although that is possibly irrelevant given that Gods are able to change their appearance at will).

• This looks like something from a CW series. Young, sexy gods bust out of Mount Olympus and try to make it in the modern world. It's a quality, extremely well-illustrated, detailed, and very lifelike piece of artwork. I appreciate the expressiveness of the eyes especially. I just don't like what it's depicting, which to me looks more like a 19 year old centre-parting runway model who can't grow a beard than a supremely powerful Divine being, a God. I'm kind of willing to accept that in the context of Achaea, the Gods made humans in their own image... but it's too human. It does not add to my impression of Neraeos.

Also, yes, Aquaman.

What's "CW"
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • You'd think after the first 5 portraits or so not looking "like gods", people would pick up on a theme.
    But I guess Babel and Ourania provide a bit of a bias.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    @Berenene: This, I suppose?

His beard does look funny. 
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    edited March 2013
    Xith said:
    You'd think after the first 5 portraits or so not looking "like gods", people would pick up on a theme.
    But I guess Babel and Ourania provide a bit of a bias.
    It's not that he doesn't look like a god, it's that he doesn't look anything like I ever imagined he would. Neraeos has always, for me at least, had this salt-wizened, unpredictable, weathered and hardass aura. It's like a fangirl piece or something. I feel like we might as well be throwing glitter over them at this point. >.>

I half expect one of them to look like this now:

• NeraeosXSartan fanart please.
    Sarapis said:
    That picture of Neraeos, for instance, is exactly what his description has him looking like, and always has. 

So which one is this:

Form as Fylakas

He is a radiant Immortal and is the very picture of self-assured youth. Tall and lean, His stance radiates strength and confidence even though His armour, managing grace and casual elegance among stiff leather and bronze. Dark, blonde hair, sandy in some places, is perpetually touseled around a face of bronze skin and blue-green, expressive eyes. Despite His initially young appearance, His expression is stern, His face hardened into a maturity that speaks of divine eternity. The scent of the sea, fresh and salty, ever lingers about Him, the legacy of His realm, and strong, calloused hands always possess a weapon in their grasp, ready to fight, protect, and challenge. He is wearing 2 sturdy runewarden's scabbards, a bright blue ribbon, an opaline brooch, a purple and white silken tunic, sculpted bronze greaves, the Ring of Virtas, a snow-white sealskin cloak emblazoned with a golden hippocampus, a brilliant cuirass of solid bronze, a purple cord of Duty, simple leather sandals, a stunning bracelet of interwoven coral and platinum, a gem-studded oceanic ring of hammered silver, a brazen helm with a plume of white coral spines, and a Pendant of Oceans.

Form as Pelagia 

He is a radiant Immortal and is standing before you with a quiet, wise expression. Ten feet tall, His face is ageless and contemplative, with piercing blue-green eyes that stare into your soul. Black hair tumbles in curls to His shoulders, and His black beard has been braided with seaweed and tiny shells. Bare-chested save for the small pendant that graces His form, Neraeos would appear almost human save for the moments when parts of His form appear to dissolve into swirling water, only to reform into exquisit flesh.

Form as Virtas

He is a radiant Immortal and is standing before you, wreathed in a shimmering cloud of mist. He is nearly ten feet tall, and completely enveloped by a cloak of dark, midnight blue. A heavy cowl obscures His immortal face, leaving all in shadow but two blazing eyes of azure fire. The cloud of mist swirls around around Him with violence, sometimes erupting with small bolts of lightning that streak to the ground, illuminating flickering phantasms of a stormy ocean before fading away. Whispers of crashing waves echo from the shadowed form, speaking quiet words that reflect the calm of the ocean in the midst of the raging maelstrom of existence.

• Kresslack said:
    Eh....really not impressed with this one. Though, it certainly fits in with why a lot of the other divine call Him the Child God. Was really thinking it would be something this (Neptune):

Remember that Neraeos is not the God of the Oceans. That was Caspian, his father, whom I'd envision more like the above, if not so over-the-top. 

@Kresslack Well, his current desc sounds like Fylakas, though it's not identical in detail. Similar though. 
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    @Skye, I watch that show solely for them abs. If he were a god... :x

I can't wait to see Pandora's art. If people are bitching now about what Neraeos is wearing, the little Lady looks like she's playing dress up.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

@Sarapis: So he didn't inherit an epic beard. A true shame!

• I get Sarapis' frustration with the 'y u no look like god' comments.  But the problem is that the opening line of their DESCRIPTION is 's/he is a radiant immortal'.  So, somehow, they all look like radiant immortals, whether or not they're wearing the onesies or ninja socks. It would be no different if somebody put up a picture of an ugly woman and somebody complained 'Well that doesn't look like a Siren'. Well, the Siren help file clearly states that Siren appearance is as varied as definitions of beauty; that is, a Siren could conceivably look like pretty much anything. But 'it doesn't look like a Siren' would still be a valid complaint.

I suspect that the whole radiant immortal thing isn't just about physical appearance, it's more about the 'feel' that the god exudes, but the only way to convey that sense through a picture is to make it physically present in the picture somehow.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
    Yeah, how are we supposed to be intimidated/awed by Russel Brand?

• ^ Pretty much it. For Gods, they look like average Joe soldiers you would find in a battalion. Sartan looked like he was a Grunt in the Mhaldor army that I could easily pass by without notice. I know the Gods can take whatever form they wish and look however they like, but why would that God want the illustration of their main image as them looking common? I for one, if I was a God, would want a depiction of me to emphasize my power/wisdom/etc. , especially in a contested and war-ridden world such as Achaea.
  • Yeah, I'm not overly impressed with this one at all. I agree wholeheartedly with the 'lacking' presence in the god pictures. I expected them to stand out and not just look like painted statues and far too human and mortal. This one is very much a  -- oh I see that Finchy ninja'd me with the picture of what was mentioned in a talk about it! Hah. Troy. Achilles. (not the player) They lack feeling, it's a pretty picture but that's about all I'd take from it and personally most of them I'd prefer to keep my vision of them in my head over the paintings. 
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.

• SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    Finchy said:
    I'm pretty sure if Brad Pitt wore a mustache or beard, he won't look like he's still growing up.
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• Those sharks look really good.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • DiCaprio grew a pair just in time to make Blood Diamond and The Departed. There's hope for Brad Pitt yet.

Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Tanaar said:

From Asara's old site:

NERAEOS

God of the Sea
    Form as Fylakas

He is a radiant Immortal and is the very picture of self-assured youth. Tall and lean, His stance radiates strength and confidence even though His armour, managing grace and casual elegance among stiff leather and bronze. Dark, blonde hair, sandy in some places, is perpetually tousled around a face of bronze skin and blue-green, expressive eyes.

Firstly, I'd like to point out the "Dark, blonde hair, sandy in some places" I have dark blonde hair and I pretty certain that's more sandy to light than dark. 

Secondly, When did Neraoes become such a pretty boy? I always pictured him a bit more bad ass like King Trident or Zeus from Wrath of the Titans (Liam Neeson) just a bit younger.

Appreciate the skill behind the picture though just not really what I Imagine when I think of Lord Neraoes.

Elaina x