Meropis Sea Map via Mudlet Mapper

edited February 2013 in North of Thera
A while ago on the old forums, @Zulah posted an impressive ASCII map of the Meropis sea map. I've been working on a fun sea mapper project which I've integrated into the Mudlet mapper, and which automatically reads the sea map into the mapper as-you-sail. I took a ship for a whirl around the Meropis chops and I've posted an image of the output below. The output was a fully interactive map with 34,239 rooms:

The design for the Meropis chops is really quite nice and it's something that most people probably don't notice while sailing around. I don't have Zulah's map, but I imagine the results are similar.

The script used to generate maps also does pathfinding and automatic sailing via clicking on nodes of the map to indicate a destination, which made sailing through these chops less painful. It's my hope that projects like these will make sailing less tedious, more interesting, and more popular. There are still a few bugs, but if there is interest, I may try to package up and release the code in the next couple of weeks.

edit: zoomed in version here: http://i5.minus.com/ib129zlCD1vBRD.PNG

Comments

• Nice looking map, though I'm sure @Penwize will be disappointed that you left out Prasset.
  • Woah, didnt expect its so wast
  • NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    Looks really cool, but: don't the chops change from time to time?
  • Nizaris said:
    Looks really cool, but: don't the chops change from time to time?
    Probably. It's not a map, it's a mapper.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    The meropis chops have stayed pretty much the same since uhh... as far back as I can remember.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • I really dig this. nice work.
  • Jonathin said:
    The meropis chops have stayed pretty much the same since uhh... as far back as I can remember.
    The main change I remember is the passage between the Northern Vasnaris and Orilla widening into a real channel.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    This is pretty awesome!
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• I'd like the code, might actually get me to sail if I don't have to control the ship around all those bloody chops manually

• NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    So, if I'm understanding this correctly, your code takes the text sea squares from the wilderness map, parses them, and models them into a mudlet map on the fly? Regardless of the present layout of the chops? Were we to download this system, we would receive a current database of rooms, along with the capability to update it simply by sailing? If so, that's pretty cool.
  • Tirac said:
    some cool things
    I think we all want this, yell at the Admin until the issues are addressed and you can share it.
  • Ships drifting without a message is apparently intentional, not a bug.
  • edited February 2013
    The obvious answer to the above "problems" is to sail your ship manually like a big boy or girl using a simple still-photo map like Zulah's. Real men use their own notes, scribbled on the backs of taped-together napkins and loose leaf paper. Pizza/rum stains are not mandatory, but can be a plus.
  • Sena said:
    Ships drifting without a message is apparently intentional, not a bug.
    Any idea why on earth this would be intentional, if true? Seems to just cause headaches (for me).
  • Sena said:
    Ships drifting without a message is apparently intentional, not a bug.
    This is one of those posts that I wish I could WTF without the negative point for the poster. Drifting at least sometimes gives a message, so you're saying it's intentional for it to give a message sometimes but not always?
  • Not sure of the reason, maybe to hinder auto-sailing?

Here's the thread with the bug response.
  • Chance to notice drifting being a chance depending on skill in Vision, similar to success rates on Secrets, actually makes me feel better about it, whatever the reason. I'd never noticed drifting without a message before, so I was thinking of it as just something that happens that you get a message with, with the no-message ones just being tossed in randomly to mess with people.

• @Cardan

GMCP: GMCP would be the ideal solution, but I can see how that would take a long time to implement.

Non-cardinal/ordinal directions: If you figure out anything in regards to this, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ship drifting: Is reducing the chance to 0% at trans vision on the table? In my opinion, it doesn't add much complexity to manual sailing but does hinder mapping.
  • edited February 2013
    @Cardan - When I was living in a single-person dorm room, I used to have poster-sized maps plastered over parts of the walls. Consequently, I am now able to scoff at all those who can't find places without Mudlet mapper or an autowalker. Monks without wings (I'm saving up, I swear) walk EVERYWHERE. My entire list of transportation abilities: shipreturn, prism tattoo, mind travel. Ayup.
  • Tirac said:
    @Cardan

GMCP: GMCP would be the ideal solution, but I can see how that would take a long time to implement.

Non-cardinal/ordinal directions: If you figure out anything in regards to this, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ship drifting: Is reducing the chance to 0% at trans vision on the table? In my opinion, it doesn't add much complexity to manual sailing but does hinder mapping.
    Sounds like the point, if anything, isn't to hinder manual sailing (which it doesn't particularly) but rather to make it harder to autosail.
  • good god I scrolled down and thought that the Meropis sea was Giygas
  • Drifting isn't a bug. Depending on how the wind is, what direction you're facing, you're going to go off point. That's Achaea's way of doing it. Until we get the ability to hoist other sails to compensate for it. 
  • Tekk said:
    Drifting isn't a bug. Depending on how the wind is, what direction you're facing, you're going to go off point. That's Achaea's way of doing it. Until we get the ability to hoist other sails to compensate for it. 
    No one was saying drifting was a bug. The discussion was about drifting without getting the "Your ship drifts to the x." message.
  • Tekk said:
    Drifting isn't a bug. Depending on how the wind is, what direction you're facing, you're going to go off point. That's Achaea's way of doing it. Until we get the ability to hoist other sails to compensate for it. 
    We do. Stationhold, in Seafaring.
  • I've posted the source for my sea mapping system:

forums.achaea.com/discussion/950/sea-mapping-release

It's free, enjoy.
  • edited March 2013
    I don't know how to link.

forums.achaea.com/discussion/950/sea-mapping-release

Damn it, just copy and paste it.