Happy Birthday Achaea!

2»

Comments

• I was in the 9th grade and my best friend, whom no longer plays but is talking about playing again, and his brother, whom no longer plays either, were ranting about this game with no graphics just text. We were in the middle of our agriculture class when he pulled it up on the computer we had in one of the class rooms and showed it to me. He explained everything to me and showed me how to do basic scripting with Nexus. I played for a few weeks before giving up seeing how I couldn't figure anything out. Shortly after this I left for basic training and AIT, upon my return home I found myself playing as an Atavian Paladin in Shallam. I quickly learned everything again and learned how to do basic things on Mudlet which I use a lot now. I decided one day that I wanted to try out other classes and found myself loving Blademaster, which is what I currently play as now. Happy birthday Achaea, thanks for sticking around for so long, its made me one happy camper.

- 2014/05/13 03:37:22 - Jhui dies gasping for breath, asphyxiated by the power of Hanley Silverstorm's kai.

SerpentKai Go!

• When I was in fourth grade, I began to play the things called muds.  I quickly found one that was interesting, and started to play it.  This was, of course, Materia Magica and not Achaea.  I forget how I ended up finding Achaea, honestly.  It may have been from the top mud site.  I was about to start high school, which I had high hopes that it would be "awesome" like they say high school is (It wasn't) and I gave Achaea a try.  It scared me half to death and I quit five seconds after I was expected to ask people in the guild to help get me started.  A few weeks later, I tried again, and ended up sticking a bit more with the character in Runewardens I created.  It helped that I had a few people who pounced me and took care of me early on in Cyrene and the Runewardens.

This character helped me survive what was one of the most horrible experiences in high school.  Truthfully, if I hadn't had Achaea (and my cat) I'm not sure I could have made it.  I ended up quitting, though, once I started college and I let that character (she who will remain nameless) more or less fade away.

I ended up coming back two years ago last April when my Grandfather had a bad stroke and had decided to die.  The week and a half spent after that was me staying up until someone could relieve me and take care of him for awhile, and a lot of crying.  I needed something else to do, to put my mind on.  I came back to Achaea, and while I wasn't expecting to stay for very long.

It's now been two years and a few months and I somehow became a Houseleader.  I'm still really enjoying it.
  • Lucine said:
    This character helped me survive what was one of the most horrible experiences in high school.  Truthfully, if I hadn't had Achaea (and my cat) I'm not sure I could have made it.  I ended up quitting, though, once I started college and I let that character (she who will remain nameless) more or less fade away.
    I really want to know who that "nameless" Character was
    meh

• It's interesting to hear the stories behind why people play, and how they got started. Everyone has a tale to tell, and ultimately the realm of Achaea has proven to be an escape, a refuge, a playground, and an alternate life - especially if you spend plenty of time playing!

Here's to 15 years more - to Achaea!

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited October 2012
    I wanna share. I started playing some time before I was old enough to even know wtf I was doing. I was at my friend's house and he was like 'HEY LOOK AT THIS, I'M PLAYING MUD'. I didn't even know what to say. There was a pretty lewd MUD that he was playing, I can't remember what it was called. But then he jumped over to mudconnect and we connected via telnet. 

We were so young that we argued over whether imp was a word. He swore that it was an abbreviation, so he would say "I have to punch this I-M-P."

Here's to 13 years of (my life to) Achaea.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • I found Achaea when I was twelve... quit within the month, my character Kar was deleted (It's really strange seeing a different Kar now). My second Character was during the early autoclass days and I stuck with him for a few months, and then once more with a different one...

Fourth times a charm though, Manni's been around for a RL year
  • Oh. Get started stories. Hm. The summer between my junior year and senior year of highschool, and the music camp that my parents sent me to that summer was at West Chester. (no, not Band Camp, that's for marching band and is outside during August...this was all classical and indoors....in July). Some of the friends I made that week were talking about MUDS and I forget what website they sent me to, but there was an alphabetical listing. I started at the top....and stopped with Achaea. I've never really had a desire (or the time) to try others out. I think I had a something on Lusternia? Maybe? It was so long ago that I really don't remember. But yes...14 years of Achaea (with two majorish dormancies, yes), but...it's always been my home-away-from-home. 

• Ten years of Achaea!

What I think is most ironic: money spent on real things (movie tickets, dinners out) results in something ephemeral.  But money spent on virtual things, that gets you something permanent!
  • Actually, pizza is better than Achaea. Pizza is better than most things.

With pepperoni. And now I'm hungry.
  • edited October 2012
    nevermind
  • I first started playing in 1999, but left shortly thereafter. Hopefully this time will be different :)
  • Spruance said:
    I first started playing in 1999, but left shortly thereafter. Hopefully this time will be different :)
    welcome back!

• TuroiTuroi Missouri :(
    I started off playing Imperian in 2005, senior year of high school, in my business class. We all were assigned computers. Not sure how I stumbled across MUDs, but anyways, I ended up getting a 0 in that class because I played Imperian the whole year. Quit playing when I graduated high school. Marriage, kids, job, etc. Got real sick earlier this year (still sick) and have been reduced to staying in my room all day. Decided to try MUDs again and picked Achaea. Loving it to death. As Turoi, I can socialize and do things I'd normally be doing if I wasn't sick IRL.. so I guess it's like I'm living vicariously through him now. heh.. but I was on the verge of insanity before I found Achaea, so..

THANK YOU, ACHAEA!

ps.. I'm still on the verge of insanity.. just falling slower now :)

"Slowly disappear. Never really here."

• I was at a methadone clinic in Compton in 2001 and a Crip that was in line in front of me said Achaea was the shizneezy, started playing later that day.
    I -am- the Cataclysm Switchblade.