ADD/ADHD

2»

Comments

• I have...shiny! Kidding. Diagnosed in middle school in the early 90s, well before it started becoming fashionable later in the decade. It's been recently reconfirmed as the adult version. Holding down a job isn't hard, I have a strong sense of responsibility to others that trumps my intense devotion to distracting things like Achaea. It has made completing a degree difficult. I'm in my mid/late twenties and I'm finally getting close to finishing, despite the fact that I don't find college at all challenging, except foreign languages.
  • I have severe ADHD, diagnosed when I was pretty young. At my last re-evaluation a few years ago I was told my attention span would be normal for a five-year-old, and that was -on- my meds. (Doing the test right in front of a large window with birds sitting in the tree right in front of it was somewhat unfair, in my opinion.)
     After my meds wear off in the evening, it can take me an hour or more to do something as simple as get ready for bed. Every intermediate step makes it harder. This is why my hours are so insane even when I'm tired. It's hard to describe what it's like in a coherent manner, but I frequently end up with aching feet just because I spend so much time just pacing back and forth, and I got to bed at 5 this morning without finishing quite all my tasks for yesterday. Just this post has taken over forty minutes to write. Between the ADHD and the dysgraphia, producing written work on a deadline is difficult.
    I've met or heard people who think that ADHD is not only over-diagnosed but not a valid disorder. I wish sometimes they could spend a couple of days in my brain, see what it's like. On the other hand, I have been informed that the inside of my head is a scary place for reasons not at all limited to ADHD, so it might be hard to get anything coherent out of them afterward.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • edited February 2013
    I was diagnosed in 4th grade and lived most of my teen years on/off medication. I didn't finish high school, jumped around jobs and relationships for many years. I think I was about 25/26 when something changed. I'm much more capable of concentrating and getting stuff done. It doesn't mean I still lose it from time to time, but it's less frequent. 

• Tanaar said:
    I have...shiny! Kidding. Diagnosed in middle school in the early 90s, well before it started becoming fashionable later in the decade. It's been recently reconfirmed as the adult version.
    This. ^
    Jiraishin said:
    I've met or heard people who think that ADHD is not only over-diagnosed but not a valid disorder. I wish sometimes they could spend a couple of days in my brain, see what it's like. On the other hand, I have been informed that the inside of my head is a scary place for reasons not at all limited to ADHD, so it might be hard to get anything coherent out of them afterward.
    This. ^

I like schedules and lists when I remember where I put them. Order is a must, it hurts my brain with a lack of. Consistent things are a godsend and anything else is bad and drives me absolute nuts. I get easily distracted and certainly do the bouts of insomnia. Radical changes make me want to crawl into hollow logs and roll off back in time.

Anyway, Jonathin said most of what I'd normal go blathering on about but ..there was a picture if I can find it that is very much my brain at night.