Which Class?

Comments

• nice job daeir
  • edited February 2013
    But Paladin.

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    I see a lot of top-tier advice in here that doesn't apply to a new player, and won't for years.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Serpent is more fun. That's the most important thing. You will not have as much fun as you will with serpent.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Mishgul said:
    Serpent is more fun. That's the most important thing. You will not have as much fun as you will with serpent.
    One you go serpent, you may change class, but you will return to serpent.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Aerek said:
    I see a lot of top-tier advice in here that doesn't apply to a new player, and won't for years.
    I don't necessarily follow, the advice seems useful to me. *shrugs*
  • It isn't that the advice isn't useful.

It might just not apply for quite some time. Paladin is definitely going to be an easier start, both with bashing and PvP. Whether it's the most 'fun' is pretty subjective, but serpent can do some interesting things out of combat (but so can paladin).
    paladin is horrid bashing early on :| and horrid pvp until you get parry/target/trans chiv and it won't be fun until you get there. serpent will give you a lot to play with one the way up in comparison.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
  • Serpent bashing is like taking your brain to a cheese grater IMO. Serpent gives you stuff to mess around with, but it takes longer to wark in PvP. 
  • AlcinaeAlcinae AFK
    edited February 2013
    Xer said:
    Me.

(But that's about it)
    This x1000.  (´∩`。)  I usually can count the number of shamans in the realms/city at a given time on my fingers... unless they all have veils and I'm not noticing (edit: or they're not in Shaman clan, w/e- but still! It's a pretty small amount, hehe) >.>

Serpent bashing is decent. And very fast at low levels with sumac. It gets worse later but its not like hes gunning for dragon at day 1

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • Yeah, I would say any affliction class is NOT good for somebody starting out.
    Because unless they get somebody else's auto-locking system, they need to understand all afflictions/cures.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
    And how else are they going to learn :|

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • I'll just say go for what sounds interesting. Everyone has viable 1v1 options. I wouldn't bother with asking what you can or should "trans". Every dog has their day, just don't go up over your head. Start at your level, fight people your level. and move from there. keep an eye out for tactics and changes, know what works when... hell, so many things. I've played nearly every class, and nearly every class will work with just a bit of effort.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • edited February 2013
    Mishgul said:

And how else are they going to learn :|

Learning is good, but it sucks if you have to acquire lots of theoretical knowledge before you have a chance at defeating even level 30 novices. Chances are, you will simply give up on combat for good. Starting out with an "easy" class gives you more early successes and thus gets you motivated to learn more.

Mind you, this can apply to serpent as well if you concentrate on archery first.
    Serpent isnt hard at low levels

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • Fast bashing with sumac, what?
  • edited February 2013
    Sumac is 100 damage for 3 seconds of balance, and it has a high endurance cost. That's one of the worst newbie bashing attacks, the only one I know of that's worse is slashing with a single shortsword as a knight (and even then, only because of the chance of missing; a shortsword with 90 damage and 130 speed at inept chivalry/weaponry will have close to the same DPS as sumac when it hits).

Serpent is terrible for newbie bashing, and well below average for near-dragon bashing. But for mid-level bashing (more specifically, whenever you have trans subterfuge and aren't fighting something strong enough to dodge garrote much), serpent is pretty good, and great with a level 3 lash.
    i dunno i bashed to 80 fine as serpent with no external moneys

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • Mishgul said:
    i dunno i bashed to 80 fine as serpent with no external moneys
    I like serpent for bashing to 80, it's pretty underrated for mid-level bashing. It's just terrible as a newbie, and then gets worse again against high-level denizens.
  • edited February 2013
    Serpent is great for bashing the LHG pre-dragon. Evade is awesome against werewolves and phase lets you get through too-tough spots to bashable spots.

But yeah, at newbie levels other classes are so much better. I have a newbie monk, and bashing to level 50 happened practically on its own in no time, and it only took my initial lessons and a very minimal investment in some basic leather armour. And monk is awesome for ratting too! Three baby rat kills between two prompts FTW.
  • If I were to re-roll (or play one of my alts) it would probably be serp atm.  I learned a great deal more about PVP after alting a runewarden and learning more about venom combos.  Ability to use a bow is extremely useful in raid situations.  Having been an un-winged monk my entire time, being able to sprint/wormwarp/evade is immensely useful and novel once you know your way around.  Improvements over the years has dramatically increased their ability to survive.  Minimal skill investment, inexpensive equipment needs compared to knights.  Being "sneaky".  Pretending you're a m-fing ninja.  GG
  • Serpent isn't newbie friendly, really, but it's a hell of an addiction.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • For utility it's a super neat newbie class, but if you want to get into combat relatively soon, don't pick a serpent.

Also be very cautious of EMBRACE CLASS if you're new to Achaea. Avoid it until you're absolutely sure you like the class you're with.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    edited March 2013
    To be fair in low level combat Secrete Delphinium on dirk x2 + dstab will let you lock most people assuming they don't have Focus. Oh no they have Focus? or oh no they have insomnia Run into a forest young padawan and Noose that guy. Shooting Delphinium was how I got most of my kills on Caladbolg when I first started as infernal, I'd have Pontus envenom my blades with Curare/Prefarar Curare/Voyria. and just dsl away if they didn't die to delphinium snipes.

Of course curing back then sucked and I had no clue what I was doing. but I still quite enjoyed it.

ALSO I COULD GET INTO RANDOM COMBAT WITH RANDOM PEOPLE BECAUSE THERE WAS THIEFS STILL AROUND.

Although to be fair Caladbolg wasn't my first char was my third one after returning to achaea after 4 years or so.

• Druid FTW, just for you @mishgul

Eat like a caveman, train like a beast. Champions are not born, they are made. 

• BURN IN HELL NECROMANCER

<3
  • I love you too @jovolo your lucky you have that great hair and crazed
    look about you or we couldn't be friends

Eat like a caveman, train like a beast. Champions are not born, they are made. 

• StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Iocun said:
    The one thing I dislike about elite memberships is that it encourages class hopping so much :(

P.S. And alting.
    Damn. I must be the only one who has the elite membership for the experience bonus. Serpent hunting is so slow without it.