Health and Fitness

124»

Comments

• Chill. All I'm saying is, until you provide relevant scientific evidence, I'm not convinced. You're entitled to disagree with me!
  • @Iphis: Read through some of it.. why don't you try something more moderate like this? - P90X diet

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • Chryenth said:
    Chill. All I'm saying is, until you provide relevant scientific evidence, I'm not convinced. You're entitled to disagree with me!
    @ChryenthPlease look at my previous post detailing some information. In addtion, I have found these:

Most notably, the second:

CONCLUSIONS:

The present study shows the beneficial effects of a long-term ketogenic diet. It significantly reduced the body weight and body mass index of the patients. Furthermore, it decreased the level of triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and blood glucose, and increased the level of HDL cholesterol. Administering a ketogenic diet for a relatively longer period of time did not produce any significant side effects in the patients. Therefore, the present study confirms that it is safe to use a ketogenic diet for a longer period of time than previously demonstrated.

@Exelethril

It was suggested by my doctor to go keto, to treat bi-polar without medications (that cause other reactions in me). The side effect, has been weight loss. Although I am a chunky guy, I used to be in great shape (military days). At the time, I was doing a P90 type routine, but due to increased weight and fatigue civilian side, I've yet to be able to sustain such a workout program. Hopefully, if my weightloss continues, I will be able to re-visit a strength building routine (Been looking at stronglifts 5X5, looks promising). 

• Photo: Got the chance to juice today. 1 mango, half a cucumber, 2 carrots, 1 large green apple
    I've been juicing and eating more vegetarian meat substitutes than actual meat since the beginning of the year. This was 1 mango, half a cucumber, 2 carrots and 1 green apple
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Chryenth said:
    The general forum consensus is it that it sounds bad long term

And therein lies the problem. Often, "common sense" is just "common" and not "sense".

In lieu of scouring through all the scientific literature (I'm a scientist, this is my field, and even I can barely stand to do that), I would recommend watching Fat Head. It's a no-frills documentary that consolidates 100% accurate scientific data (and a lot of it) supporting the causative nature of carbs in the obesity/cardiovascular disease epidemic. I believe, out of all the food documentaries out there, it's got the soundest arguments.

• I'm going to point out that 24 weeks is not what I'd call long-term, and then bow out to the superior scientific data presented.
  • Iphis said:
    Nearly all process foods have an increase in fillers or sugar in them, to prolong 'shelf life'. Not all process foods are carbohydrates, but almost all of them replace healthy fats with HFCS or some other crap that spikes insulin response.
    Much of that can vary to a great degree though. Not all countries use much HFCS, etc.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    edited February 2013
    wrong thread

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • And @mishgul takes a brief moment out of this debate to present to you his naked lover!

Iocun said:
    Not all countries use much HFCS, etc.
    HFCS is not inherently worse than other forms of sugar. It is nutritionally equivalent to table sugar; it's just named differently because it's manufactured differently. Not using HFCS does not resolve anything: A Coke made in Mexico with cane sugar is just as bad as as a Coke made in the U.S. with HFCS.
  • Heh, well, nobody claimed that any Coke was healthy!
  • I think that one of the biggest mistakes that people make is to buy "fat clothes". There comes a point in every newcoming overweight person's life that their clothes grow tight and uncomfortable. A decision must be made. Do you buy bigger clothes, or do you lose the weight? I refuse to ever buy fat clothes. Living with the constant reminder of having a tight and uncomfortable wardrobe helps give the motivation to make a change in your life.  When you sink to the level of purchasing fat clothes, you are ultimately surrendering the battle. You are saying to yourself, "Hey, I'm a fat person now. It's official."

I've never bought fat clothes, and thus I've never had the opportunity to transition into being a fat person. It all comes down to setting a boundary for yourself. Everyone that has a propensity for gaining weight is going to have a gradual struggle against being fat. It doesn't happen overnight. It's a long term process. So set this boundary for yourself and when you feel yourself slipping, choose getting in shape over the acceptance of being fat.

• I actually agree with this, however, all too often the battle is still lost:

(it's surprisingly hard to find a pic of a chick in the infamous "spandex flighsuit", but it's certainly not because they don't exist)

• Santar said:

I think that one of the biggest mistakes that people make is to buy "fat clothes". There comes a point in every newcoming overweight person's life that their clothes grow tight and uncomfortable. A decision must be made. Do you buy bigger clothes, or do you lose the weight? I refuse to ever buy fat clothes. Living with the constant reminder of having a tight and uncomfortable wardrobe helps give the motivation to make a change in your life.  When you sink to the level of purchasing fat clothes, you are ultimately surrendering the battle. You are saying to yourself, "Hey, I'm a fat person now. It's official."

I've never bought fat clothes, and thus I've never had the opportunity to transition into being a fat person. It all comes down to setting a boundary for yourself. Everyone that has a propensity for gaining weight is going to have a gradual struggle against being fat. It doesn't happen overnight. It's a long term process. So set this boundary for yourself and when you feel yourself slipping, choose getting in shape over the acceptance of being fat.

I call it the goldfish effect. A goldfish will grow bigger in proportion to the size of the fishtank it's in. So your clothes would be very much the same. I'm like that with my wardrobe in that I buy pretty fitted clothes and my absolute laziness and hatred for shopping means I somehow maintain the same weight and size for years on end without a hitch. It does mean I have the same wardrobe for 6+ years though...
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

Santar said:

I think that one of the biggest mistakes that people make is to buy "fat clothes". There comes a point in every newcoming overweight person's life that their clothes grow tight and uncomfortable. A decision must be made. Do you buy bigger clothes, or do you lose the weight? I refuse to ever buy fat clothes. Living with the constant reminder of having a tight and uncomfortable wardrobe helps give the motivation to make a change in your life.  When you sink to the level of purchasing fat clothes, you are ultimately surrendering the battle. You are saying to yourself, "Hey, I'm a fat person now. It's official."

I am far too comfortable walking around in my underwear for that to ever work.