Achaea world map

edited September 2012 in The Blank Canvas
Hello, folks!

Way back in 2006, I created a world map. I mapped the wilderness bit by bit, and over this composite, I painted a crude and unwieldy smorgasbord of features. The map evolved slowly over the years, with mountains blending naturally into their surroundings rather than jutting up like a very public birthmark, but the formula remained more or less the same.

More recently, as Achaea's released certain bits of content, I've come to find that my aspect ratio (let's call it a "projection") is somewhat off. You see, I've realised that Achaea's wilderness grid is created from essentially square tiles. When these are converted to a person's font of choice -- Courier, in my case -- that overall image is stretched. The result is the long, tapered view of Sapience with which you might be familiar. However, a crude resizing simply wouldn't do. Either the features would be stretched to JPEG artefact oblivion, or the image would be crushed into an unrecognisable lump.

The best solution was to start clean. Here was a chance to approach the project with fresh eyes, using techniques of which my younger self hadn't been aware. The result is damned large, but it's also more intricate -- and hopefully, just a bit prettier.

Comments

• LiancaLianca Fire and Spice
    Holy somethingsomething. That's gorgeous and incredible!

Great work!
    The sweltering heat of the forge spills out across the land as the rumbling voice of Phaestus booms, "I want you to know, the Garden reaction to that one is: What?"
    The voice of Melantha, Goddess of the Seasons, echoes amid the rustle of leaves, "That's the censored version."
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Looks awesome - keep up the great work!
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Love, love, LOVE your new map. Tecton, for the sake of all that's holy, unholy, naturey, voidy, darky and everything else, let us please get these in poster form.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    Beautiful. Thank you, @Delphinus.
  • Great stuff Delphinus. The vertically stretched nature of the last map always puzzled me, but now it makes sense! How'd you produce the mountains in the new one? They, in particular, look great.

• So as for a poster with the Achaea logo on it. Something like this? 

• I just ordered two posters of around 27" x 46" off zazzle.com. One is of their lowest quality paper, one is of their middle quality. The lowest is matte finish, the middle one is semi-gloss. Their highest quality paper is an archival matte finish, which is what I really want, but it's pricier. 

With shipping, I'm paying basically $95 for the two posters together. I'll let you know how they look when they arrive! If they look good, I'm going to have one of them framed. (You can order them framed from zazzle.com, but framing anything this big is not cheap - Minimum of an additional $130 or so per poster.)
  • I feel like I should be able to do something with that image, but I can't - it's just sat there tiny and taunting.

• What do you mean?
  • The picture you posted is itty bitty!
  • Like, it's not a link or anything, so I can't click it - and when I click view image it just shows me the thumbnail. As it is, really hard to see any detail in the image.

I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong, though.

• Hrm, what the heck. When I mousehover over it, it pops up a little window showing the resolution (832x1386) and then if I click again it shows me it at full res.
  • Logged myself out and I see what you mean.
  • edited September 2012
    Well, I'm not sure why 'insert image' isn't working for me, but here's a link.  http://imgur.com/8IkOr
  • Thanks, yeah, that's exactly the sort of thing I'd mean. If something like this was made available, I'd be all over it. RPG maps are always cool.

• Well, we can certainly make the file available. We're not going to sell posters ourselves, but after the posters I ordered arrived, I'll check them for quality, and then can tell people exactly what to do to order a map and have it come out nicely.
  • edited September 2012
    Great stuff. Now it just needs the hidden rooms and probably a spot for Cooper's ego....
  • All the hidden rooms are on there. They're just hidden!
  • TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    One option, if @Delphinus is willing, is to put it up for print order directly from DeviantArt. I'm not too sure on the logistics and/or requirements, but may be worth investigating.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    If the goal is to make a lot of them available, this might be a reasonable offer, for a short time anyway. 

LIke @Tecton said though, DeviantArt may be a good option to consider. I just looked, and an 18x24 poster for print is available at around $30.

• A couple points:
    1. We're not looking to warehouse anything or do any shipping to people. We're not in the business of shipping physical goods.
    2. The map has a non-standard aspect ratio, necessitating custom print sizes.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    edited September 2012
    Sarapis said:
    A couple points:
    1. We're not looking to warehouse anything or do any shipping to people. We're not in the business of shipping physical goods.
    2. The map has a non-standard aspect ratio, necessitating custom print sizes.

I'd honestly shop around then, because you should be able to get a poster print for much lower, at the same quality. I checked posterprintshop.com and they do custom print sizes, 1 or multiple, and the quoted price is $45 for photo gloss. You can also get canvas, photo satin, and a few other options. 

Edit: Unless @Delphinus just wanted to put it up on Deviant Art for people to buy, or give permission for people to order the prints through another means that they find.

• edited September 2012
    The aspect ratio on deviantart seems off. Also seems comparitively expensive, and doesn't have the logo.

@Sarapis or @Tecton: Understandable why you're unwilling to take on creating/shipping/handling merch yourselves, but any chance of you guys setting up an account with one of those sites to sell branded merch, so we can buy prints like this, logo mugs, etc.?

• Yeah, I'd absolutely be excited to embarrass my boyfriend and roommate with a big ol' Achaea map poster in our apartment. Haha. I'm being serious. I'd be super happy to have one! And other cool Achaea stuff.

• Mpix has been great to me, very competitive prices and amazing, outstanding quality. Try the wall clings for the map ;) 
  • edited September 2012
    I'm glad it doesn't have the logo. Probably wouldn't get one if it did (the new logo looks crappy, would not want that on a large poster on my wall. They should have just kept the old logo. X() But as it currently is, it looks great.
  • I love the new logo.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."