Health and Fitness

Comments

• I'm British, so I get past the 'winter blues' by putting on the heating, throwing on another jumper/coat, drinking scaldingly hot tea and writing my Christmas list six months early.
  • I look forward to Seattle in March. Yay for no snow. My town has snow usually till mid April or at least very crappy weather till June the earliest

• @Iphis

I know your post is just a troll post, but I've been eating more red meat via steaks since I'm making more money now and don't know what to do with it all. I have a nice steak at least once a week. It's better than other things you eat when you avoid the fat and do portion control.

• edited January 2013
    @Iphis

I know your post is just a troll post, but I've been eating more red meat via steaks since I'm making more money now and don't know what to do with it all. I have a nice steak at least once a week. It's better than other things you eat when you avoid the fat and do portion control.

@Cooper You need to re-evaluate your view of the world.Everyone is not out to get you.

My post is not a troll post, it is 100% genuine. I started keto diet Jan 1st, I'm down 12 lbs. I eat 6-8 pieces of bacon and 2-4 eggs for breakfast. Whatever I want for lunch, and usually some type of fatty red meat + salad for dinner. Seriously, nothing at all to do with you period.
  • It may work as a diet, but it sure as hell doesn't sound healthy to do that over a longer period of time...
  • As opposed to what?? Eating a shit ton of manufacturered, processed sugars, high fructose corn syrup, and 'enriched' carbs??  I was told by my doctor to try this diet for some health reasons. Granted, I have an awesome doc who isn't afraid to go outside the norm. 

I've read and researched a lot about this, but the easiest to digest explination I've seen is by Gibson of GRC, http://www.grc.com/health/lowcarb.htm Listen to his podcasts on the subject, or do some other research about ketogenic diet. It's not unhealthy, in fact studies show it may be the healthiest way for humans to eat. 
  • Well, as long as it works for you and you feel good, more power to it. I don't think I could stand eating exclusively like that for long.
  • Now that I've moved from a very cycling-unfriendly part of Florida back to a very cycling-friendly area of NY, I'm going to start riding a great deal. My indoor training actually starts tomorrow.

My ride
  • @iphis I know that if I ate that much pork and red meat, I'd feel sick to my stomach.

I tend to model my diet after Mediterranean and Asian. I try to eat mostly vegetables and fish. I use olive oil for practically everything as well. When I make pasta I season it with olive oil and basil instead of fatty dressings.

I do try to have a balanced diet. I mostly only drink water too. Most anything processed makes me sick anyhow.

• @horatio thanks for the reminder. My bike needs a lot of T.L.C before it is in any condition to be used.

• I just wanted to post a little bit of an update. I bought myself a yoga starter kit. I am excited to start it tomorrow. I've taken some yoga classes at a local health community center. It helped a lot with my very tight muscles. What made me think of starting up yoga again and more seriously is this video. http://www.doyoueven.com/2013/01/heart-touching-inspirational-transformation/ Anyone else ever try yoga?

• Oh, that reminds me. I signed up for a charity zumbathon sometime and I have no idea what I'm getting into.
  • @chryenth you're in for a lot of fun! I love Zumba!

• edited February 2013

I'm 6'2 and weigh around 230 lbs.  I'm kinda big, but I wouldn't consider myself fat by any means.  I blew my knee out around 2 years ago, and I've never been able to run the same.  I stick to stationary bikes now.  I can do 17-20 miles in an hour, and it's a great workout if you keep your heart rate up.

The only advice I'd give is that even the slightest healthy changes to an unhealthy lifestyle will make a difference.  Little things can make a big difference when the choices you make are constantly healthier and healthier.  I like to think of soft drinks as a "gateway give-up." I love them soooo much, and lots of other people do too.  That's why, if you can give them up, other sacrifices seem more attainable.

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena

Iphis said:
    I started keto diet Jan 1st, I'm down 12 lbs. I eat 6-8 pieces of bacon and 2-4 eggs for breakfast.

Iocun said:
    It may work as a diet, but it sure as hell doesn't sound healthy to do that over a longer period of time...
    Iphis said:
    As opposed to what?? Eating a shit ton of manufacturered, processed sugars, high fructose corn syrup, and 'enriched' carbs?? I was told by my doctor to try this diet for some health reasons.
    And the community of metabolism scientists (count me among them) agrees with you. I don't touch carbs (pasta, breads, sweets, even fruit), except at the occasional party and such. Granted, my "keto" foods are usually salad and chicken (cheaper, and a smaller calorie count), but I would rather eat bacon and eggs than granola with fruit. I know how absurd that can sound, but the real absurdity lies in most people not having a basic understanding of metabolic principles, which make "no-carb" eating behaviors actually very, very logical. I hope you eat your bacon cheeseburgers bunless, @Iphis...
  • Carbs, I will never leave you.  Never.

• Chryenth said:
    10k run tomorrow. Aiming for sub60 time.

Time to see if running up and down the beach as helped any.
    Speaking from experience, eat a ton of carbs the night before(like pasta).

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • And a good night's rest. Don't forget to set out your running gear and get your race stuff like your bib and tracker number tag (if you have one) the night before!

• edited February 2013
    Krypton said:
     but the real absurdity lies in most people not having a basic understanding of metabolic principles, which make "no-carb" eating behaviors actually very, very logical.
    What's absurd about not knowing the exact scientific specifics behind the things we do? Most people use computers without knowing how they work, walk over bridges without the knowledge of a construction engineer, and enjoy music without being able to analyse its formal structures. I see nothing absurd in eating a wide variety of tasty food if you suffer no ill effects and are healthy. To the average layman (count me among them), deliberately narrowing the range of your food intake to such an extreme naturally seems less comprehensible than the opposite, if we're not given a detailed explanation, considering how many billions of people have eaten carbs and seemed to live just fine.

Again: I'm not saying that kind of diet is wrong, because I really am totally unknowledgeable about the subject. I'm just questioning the term "absurd" here.
  • edited February 2013
    Iphis said:
    My new diet consist of bacon, eggs, fatty steaks, shit ton of butter/olive oil, and other wonderful things such as bacon cheeseburgers.

No sweet tea though. :( 

Since Jan 1, I've lost 12 lbs soley by changing what I eat. 
    About a year ago I weighed in at 301 and was pretty damn shocked. I knew I was getting chubby, I didn't realize I became a fat ass. 

I started eating keto and lifting. That pretty much catapulted me into tons of other things once I had so much energy sitting at home wasn't cutting it. It's been 14 months and I'm down to 220lbs. 

I recommend doing anything and just sticking with it. Cut calories. Find a diet that's easy for you to follow. ANY diet. Keto was easy for me since I'm such a carnivore. 

Edit: just to add to the naysayers of ketogenic dieting. A true keto diet has tons of veggies in, just not as many starches. Carbs really aren't useful when you live a sedentary life style. 
  • @Exelethril and @Siena: Thank you for the advice. ^^

Result: 58 minutes, 14 seconds. That is to say: SUB SIXTY CLUB, REPRESENTING.

I am enormously pleased with this.
  • Ooh, awesome. It was totally the carbs, wasn't it? I ran the "HBF Run for a Reason" 12k marathon in Perth last year and finished in roughly an hour and 23 minutes, haven't participated in any other marathons since then.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

• You guys make me look bad! Haha I'm not the fastest but I still run/jog this 12k every year in about 2 hours. Congrats! Finishing a race really helps you feel good about yourself.

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Iocun said:
    Krypton said:
     but the real absurdity lies in most people not having a basic understanding of metabolic principles, which make "no-carb" eating behaviors actually very, very logical.
    What's absurd about not knowing the exact scientific specifics behind the things we do? Most people use computers without knowing how they work, walk over bridges without the knowledge of a construction engineer, and enjoy music without being able to analyse its formal structures.

In none of those situations is the lack of knowledge detrimental.

That's not the case with eating habits, when a good proportion of the obesity and cardiovascular disease epidemic could be stemmed if people weren't miseducated (miseducation's the problem here, rather than a lack of education) about types of food, and what they do to the body.

• Iphis said:
    My new diet consist of bacon, eggs, fatty steaks, shit ton of butter/olive oil, and other wonderful things such as bacon cheeseburgers.

I'm not a doctor but based on a common view point of what is and isn't healthy to eat, I don't think your diet sounds sustainable in the long run but more like a one way ticket to atherosclerosis. Your diet sounds like something an obese person would eat on a daily basis.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

• edited February 2013
    Iphis said:

I'm not a doctor but based on a common view point of what is and isn't healthy to eat, I don't think your diet sounds sustainable in the long run but more like a one way ticket to atherosclerosis. Your diet sounds like something an obese person would eat on a daily basis.
    Sadly, you are misinformed @exelethril. @Iocun, some resources for you below. 

@Chryenth: Congrats on your sub 60 run!!

For athletic people, runners, weight lifters, bodybuilders, etc... carbs are a great fuel in moderation. For a network admin who sits in a chair like myself, no carb and keto is more than sustainable. It's not a diet; it's a lifestyle.

Here's a bit of reading for you:
    http://www.grc.com/health/lowcarb.htm (Steve Gibson on Keto diet) 
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20194883 (Cholesterol and Keto/high fat diet) 
    http://artofmanliness.com/2013/01/18/how-to-increase-testosterone-naturally/ (Brett McKay going essentially keto for testosterone increase) 
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19664276 (Prevent/reduce effects of Alzheimer)

I know you're not going to read all that, but just trying to show there is a lot of evidence FOR Ketogenic. If you hate meat and can't get over for profit corporations lying to make a profit off your unhealthy body.. well, I can't change your mind. I was very skeptical about this lifestyle change, but it honestly,  has really helped me and by proxy, helped me to lose weight.

Long story short, there's a lot of reasons to avoid carbs and process foods. There are not any real long term scientific studies about the Ketogenic diet that I am aware of, but of those of a shorter duration, there was a DECREASE in risk factors for everything from high cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetuus(lol), bipolar, schizophrenia, and auto-immune diseases. I believe a no carb/process food way of eating is the healthier way by a LARGE margin. 

• Wait. The general forum consensus is it that it sounds bad long term, and buried in all that you're telling us there are no real long-term studies?

I sense extrapolation.
  • edited February 2013
    Why are you linking specifically carbohydrates to "processed food"? Or are you just listing them both, separately?

Not quite sure what's really meant by "processed food" anyways. There are a million things one might do with food that would fall under the general topic of "processing it", all of which have different effects on it, so I'm unsure how you can link any specific effects on health to a broad term like "processing".
  • edited February 2013
    Chryenth said:
    Wait. The general forum consensus is it that it sounds bad long term, and buried in all that you're telling us there are no real long-term studies?

I sense extrapolation.
    @Chryenth

Just because -I- am not aware of a long term study, does not mean it doesn't exist. I know for example, that Ketogenic diet was used since at least the 1920s for treating epilepsy. Is it a scientific study? No. I've read about people being on the diet with no, 0, none, nada, adverse side effects past the first week, for years, going on decades. Is it scientific? No. Evidence is out there, but whether people like you want to believe it or argue with me, it doesn't change the benefits from going no carb for the average human.

To be frank, I don't care what the general forum consensus is. The collective understanding of the people is not always the correct stance on a topic. I explained my diet, people refuted and asked about it, I provided more evidence. Do I want everyone in the world (or on this forum) to be keto? No, but I do want to share my experience and knowledge with those interested. Keto lifestyle is nearly 100% against what any mainstream nutritional in the past 150 years has said is 'healthy', so I know that with that level of brainwashing, people will have a hard time accepting they (and those 'nutrionalist') are wrong. 

Nearly all process foods have an increase in fillers or sugar in them, to prolong 'shelf life'. Not all process foods are carbohydrates, but almost all of them replace healthy fats with HFCS or some other crap that spikes insulin response.