Achaean Memes

Comments

• Krypton said:
    Delphinus said:
    A meme is like a gene, but instead of biological info, it's a unit of cultural info. It doesn't require text or a character. It's an in-joke -- a concept.
    Somebody's read "On the Origin of Tepees"...
    I was getting 'Science of Discworld III' vibes. Pretty sure there are lots of books with similar phraseology.
  • SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    It depends on where you are in Asia. Where I was studying, we never had problems with people having decent English vocabulary. 
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• edited February 2013
    Never mind. Not really relevant!
  • Okay, that's true. Now that you mention it, idiots are an international export (the person in this story spoke English as a first language -- and was a teacher). Apologies to my Asian bros.
  • Yeah, I live in a country where almost everyone speaks English as a first language, and most only speak English, and I am severely limited in my vocabulary if I want people to understand me most of the time.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Oblivion'd.

• Yeah, he looks way cooler that way, actually.
  • See I have mixed feelings about the memes page because I have always enjoyed memes that came about organically and that evolved organically. The Achaean community is no different in this than any other internet communities...some Achean memes that come to mind involve timezone abuse, the Babel 'Y U NO' thing that is evolving currently, and some classic ones like Hieyoko's 'QQ:PHASE' in regards to people claiming he never raid defended...Griffel's use of the 'Waaaaahhhhmbulance' (not distinctly Achaean but he owned it. This may not be visual macros, but they still are a part of Achaean culture.

I mean if a meme is "an idea, behavior or style that spreads from person to person within a culture"....then these distinctive Achaean jokes and ideas...ideas that can only exist in our personal and distinct culture...are still memes. So while I will not support displaying them to the world and 'meme building' for fun...I think it is safe to say everyone should get off Nicia's ass about it. Let her have her fun, and hell, she may just make us all laugh.

I like laughing, it's fun.

• Tagg's percussionist thing was hilarious.
  • ....in what orchestra is a triangle player sitting in the middle of the violins???

• I don't think he's in the middle of the violins. We're probably seeing two (first) violinists and the percussion section in back in some piece where there are no or only few winds.

Or it might just be a small chamber orchestra or an even smaller ensemble, which tend to have all kinds of seatings anyways.
  • The only thing similiar in that picture is that Nicia and Aurora both have long hair. P.s. Aurora was around before Nicia was.

• I'm all for being a jerk all day, er'ry day to Nicia IC, but lay off the girl already. She's just trying to make us smile or something. I could use a laugh.
  • @Elowin pretty much the reaction to this thread sums up a day in the life of Nicia. I have almost quit the game multiple times because of it.
  • @Nicia Don't get me wrong, tots gunna gank you when I log back in.

Xoxo
  • edited February 2013
    Since I've no longer been stealing and I'm no longer of serpent class, and I'm no longer infamous that has definitely gone down rofl.

But, anyway, the really f-ed up part, is that admins are going to let you forum bully because you haven't said anything obscenely rude. Just like they do in the game.
  • edited February 2013
    @Nicia :(

Let it roll of yr back and take comfort that you're behaving in a more mature manner than a number of players who feel the need to respond negatively to you based off a perceived immaturity in you or w/e.

Or enjoy a moment of trollish glee in the fact that you've made people react so strongly to a silly meme thread on the internet.

Either way, dunn lol'd.
  • edited February 2013
    Doesn't really matter, this is getting closed soon.
  • Nicia said:
    Since I've no longer been stealing and I'm no longer of serpent class, and I'm no longer infamous that has definitely gone down rofl.

But, anyway, the really f-ed up part, is that admins are going to let you forum bully because you haven't said anything obscenely rude. Just like they do in the game.

• @Trey Rofl, that meme is fabulous. Got any with him talking to the chair? >:3
  • edited February 2013
    Anaidiana said:
    ....in what orchestra is a triangle player sitting in the middle of the violins???

It's the symphony of life, man.