Achaean Memes

I created a page on facebook for memes. I was actually sort of surprised there wasn't one already. The link is facebook.com/achaeanmemes. There are some things I'd like to change about it, but I am sort of busy this weekend. The wall is open, so if you have something funny and Achaea related post away. There is so much fodder for memes, why not?

Comments

• Tintin! Brb, revisting my childhood

• what is this I don't even 
  • This has already happened and @Babel moved it to the membrane after we posted Muppets crap.
  • This has already happened and @Babel moved it to the membrane after we posted Muppets crap.
    But I thought that the Muppets were derived from chaos, how can he not like it?
  • You don't just create memes and post them. Funny things happen, catch on, and become a meme. If you try to create a meme you will fail, and even if it is funny it will not be a meme.

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    how do you create an Achaean meme? There are no pictures :|

• Skye said:
    how do you create an Achaean meme? There are no pictures :|

I think that's the point. Not including ascii pictures, by the way.

• Wait, why would you need pictures to make a meme? I mean other than the meme character and the accompanying text?
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited February 2013
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    You hurt me.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Jonathin said:
    You hurt me.
    Not for your post, for others in the thread (and the thread itself).
  • And, this is why I never come to the forum. You may have noticed by this point that not a single person has said anything positive or uplifting.
  • I only looked at this thread because I saw I was tagged in it, and then I see the post I was apparently tagged in was edited out of existence. What a letdown.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • I like Achaean memes, but I generally dont make my own for fear of dislikes/wtfs :-(
  • Silas is so mean when he's wearing his Santa hat...

Nicia, you could start by using it as a repository for stuff like this (much as the Aztecia page is/was for even older funnies):  

I see you made the liked list private and that's a step in the right direction.  I'd also include something in that "community" blurb that is always visible about sending submissions in by message so that it's clear to people that they can just send stuff to the page to be posted - some people are just fine with people knowing/figuring out their RL identities, but a lot of people are definitely going to be more shy about it.  Of course you can just make an "alt" FB, but a lot of folks probably wouldn't go to the trouble.
  • Forget memes, Britney Spears gifs are where it's at.

(Quickmeme sucks so I have to post the link)

• @Delphinus It is clear that I know what a meme is...I was completely confused as to why we would need achaean images to make memes, however. It was entirely clear by my use of the Wednesday Addams meme.

@Jules I think that both are pretty good ideas. And yea, it could include fake logs and other things than must pure memes. Also, the message feature is already open for submissions if people don't want to put them up themselves. :)
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    Cooper said:
    You don't just create memes and post them. Funny things happen, catch on, and become a meme. If you try to create a meme you will fail, and even if it is funny it will not be a meme.
    Just like Millhouse, right?
  • Am I misunderstanding the point of this thread? I thought the idea was to adopt popular memes using Achaean themes, as a fun diversion. Not to CREATE Achaean-based memes. A not-so-funny but quick example using Scumbag Steve: 

LOTS and LOTS of groups - medical school students, armed forces branches, residents of various cities/states- have similar facebook groups.
  • Nicia said:
    @Delphinus It is clear that I know what a meme is...I was completely confused as to why we would need achaean images to make memes, however. It was entirely clear by my use of the Wednesday Addams meme.
    It's quite clear that you -don't- know what a meme is.

• @Ginmund, you are precisely correct. And, my intention was entirely diversion. There are some really great memes pages out there, and I thought that it would just be something fun to do.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    I'm disappointed I didn't even make top ten on Jaizsur's list :(

• KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    Delphinus said:
    A meme is like a gene, but instead of biological info, it's a unit of cultural info. It doesn't require text or a character. It's an in-joke -- a concept.
    Somebody's read "On the Origin of Tepees"...
  • Delphinus said:
    @Nicia: The phrase you're looking for is image macro.

A meme is like a gene, but instead of biological info, it's a unit of cultural info. It doesn't require text or a character. It's an in-joke -- a concept.

An image macro is a picture with a funny caption overlaid.
    Sounds like you also correct people who say "Kleenex" instead of "facial tissue" and "Band-aid" instead of "adhesive bandage." I get the urge to be overly pedantic from time to time as well. But it seemed pretty obvious which @Nicia meant. It doesn't take much effort to find dozens of facebook pages, tumblrs, etc. where people post themed IMAGE MACROS and call them 'memes.'