rogue mage person

ok so the point of this thread is i think they should bring in a caster/summoner/whatever class that uses intelligence that you can be without having to join a house/city to function

for instance:
apostate: answer to mhaldor or excom
priest: answer to whoever it is now and in the future or excom
alchemist need a city for anchor
magi: you can be a rogue magi but its not exactly the most healthy thing for your wallet
occultist: do wrong by ashtan and you wont be able to go to the chaos plane thingie

so i think there should be a new magic class thingie because right now you cant be one of these classes without a catch

Comments

• Jespar said:
    occultist: do wrong by ashtan and you wont be able to go to the chaos plane thingie
    This isn't true. You could fight Ashtan all you want, and even the Occultists house directly (as far as I know), without any repercussions to your skills. You just can't bring non-occultists to the Chaos Plane or do anything to piss off the Chaos Lords.
  • well i didnt know that thanks but still... unartied hunting as occultist *shiver*

• edited January 2013
    The current system is actually pretty ideal. Occultist is relatively unaligned and magi is completely unaligned with a very smart disincentive to make it more attractive to belong to a house without requiring membership.

It's virtually never a good idea to offer people the option to play a class with fewer restrictions. What happens then is that people (especially new people, who are the most vulnerable) look at the restrictions and decide that they want to take the path with the fewest restrictions. What those people routinely fail to realise (and I've seen this happen over and over) is that the game is fairly uninteresting if you play it with the fewest restrictions possible (there's also very little guidance that way if you're new and this is a game with a steep learning curve).

There are a number of people who have managed to make the rogue thing work, but the vast majority of them did it after building a number of significant relationships with people and organisations. The minority within that minority who started rogue and made it work likewise fostered a lot of relationships within the game.

Since combat in the game is primarily RP-driven and bashing gets boring for people who aren't Penwize pretty quickly, offering a path involving less reliance on organisations and other players is actively bad for the game in terms of retaining people and keeping them interested. You want classes to either be aligned or to have a significant drawback for being rogue.
  • Tael said:

Since combat in the game is primarily RP-driven and bashing gets boring for people who aren't Penwize pretty quickly, offering a path involving less reliance on organisations and other players is actively bad for the game in terms of retaining people and keeping them interested. You want classes to either be aligned or to have a significant drawback for being rogue.
    Once that would have said Veldrin :(

• You also left Shaman completely off your list.

• Shaman's still a class?
  • Don't do it :o sucks to be a rogue. Sucks to be a refugee too but at least we're not alone xD
  • Join a City or House.

Problem solved. (sorry *shallam)