Staff of Nicator in 850: The journey from zero to hero.

Comments

• Fingers crossed they add a self-loathing contest to the 850 games, cause I got that shit on lockdown. Anyways. What the fuck is a Cyrene? New class! ADVENTURES AND VOYAGES!!! My mudlet is a mess and a lot of people I used to know retired. I almost retired too because I hate (love) this game. I like hunting because it gives me something to do while I'm watching Critical Role. I got another month of iron elite, so that puts me at 690 total spent on this character. Another month of elite and I'll have paid more for my text to be 15% more textier than I paid for the fucking laptop that displays the text. I hope Matt spends that money on another three foot golden led-lighted dildo to wave around at Burning Man this year cause that'll really crack me up. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand POST!
  • Augtavian said:
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand POST!

Erik? Is that you?
  • When I came back I had planned on ignoring this thread and hoping it got buried. I also didn't plan on doing much at all. Right now I wish I had chosen something else for the title of this thread. When compared to the length of time other winners of the staff have played it seems unreasonable that I could do it in the time frame I set out for myself. There have been some cringe posts here, but I think what makes me cringe the most is the posts explaining why I've been dormant. I'm not going to do that here again. Moving in a different direction now (I still want that staff, but it can wait) I've decided instead to focus on ways to become engaged and stay engaged with Achaea.

Gratitude

Going forward I want to create it, have it, and just all around do my best to be a positive influence to whoever I come into contact with. In my time away I had a chance to become a city leader on another IRE game and putting in hours of preparation into an event or something that you're passionate about only to have nobody match the enthusiasm sucks real hard. So going forward I want to try and support other players in what the enjoy doing, and what makes their characters happy. Granted I know it's unrealistic to do this all of the time, because you'd burn yourself out, but I think keeping it in mind going forward will go a long way in keeping myself engaged with the game. I don't think means necessarily always been kind, honorable, or good in a roleplay sense either. Being a heel or bad guy is a pretty vital role in RP too.

So the tl'dr - Support players in the things that make them enjoy playing the game, and in return they'll help you enjoy playing the game too.

I'm still going to be toxic AF about HOW FUCKING MUCH IT COSTS TO GET GUD IN ACHAEA WHAT THE ACTUAL FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKK!!!!!

I bought 3 rounds of 5 globes so that's another 72 dollars putting me at a total of 762. The globes were enough for me to get a level 2 health sip ring, so that's pretty dope. I also bought a couple of those bluesteel ladybird, but those don't count towards the total, I'm just virtue signaling here because I crave your approval and love.
  • Aren't you like two levels from dragon, my dude? Chop chop! Let's make it happen!
    Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • I'm going to make dragon tonight. I still haven't decided for sure on a color, and I don't think I'll know until it's time to go light up an orb. On my way to the store tonight to get the carb/sugar fuel that any good gamer thrives on I passed a fat kid riding a bicycle and singing the song in his heart on full blast as he went. I saw myself in him. Keep peddling you magnificent bastard. 

I spent another 70 dollars on globes, and then my iron elite ticked over for another 25 for a total of $852. I'm feeling pretty good about my artie situation now. I'd like to get that one that allows you to change races every so often, but that's more for RP purposes than min/maxing so I don't feel that NEED IT NOW in my gut over it. I'd like to pick up a second class as well, but no rush there either.

Once I hit dragon and get a little bit of insurance I'll be turning my attention to city/house/being social. I'm excited for that. Hashan seems like a pretty cool place. I've heard rumors of an undercurrent of bullshit that resides there, but I don't trust rumors and every city has its own pros and cons. Even if it does turn out to be true (which my experiences leave me to believe it is not) you won't hear it from me on the forums. You can't control how people act, only how you react. I will still continue to complain about how stupid expensive this game is though. My niece was complaining about micro-transactions in her game today and I was all like "YEAH WELL I KNOW WHO YOU CAN BLAME FOR THAT." 
  • I like posting about once a month. It's a good pace. I learned enough sailing that I can look at a map and get where I want to go. Seamonsters fuck me up, and I didn't realize you couldn't just dock to escape them. I also have been doing a bunch of forays, which I think are a LOT of fun. It's frustrating to me that there are a couple that nobody seems to run because they are too hard. They probably are, but defeatist attitudes get under my skin. I may try them with a group that doesn't mind dying anyways. I might change my tune after I get stomped on a few times, but probably not, it's only xp.

I've still been meaning to pick up combat. I figure if I learn how to do at least one kill path reliably I'll be in the top half of Achaea. My biggest hurdle is a lack of desire to learn scripting. Could you imagine if before Ryu could throw his first hadouken you had to spend dozens of hours coding? I'm losing my eyesight and the smaller font and white background of mudlet is a sure way to get a migraine. I think I might have said something like this already but combat, for me, is like trying to read a book in a language you just don't know. Maybe once I learn the language a little more I can start to enjoy the book, but there is just -so- much to learn it's daunting.

I bought 5 tokens 2 times = 90
    Iron elite = 25
    Previous = 852
    Total = 967...

Also, I think the adventuring system is pretty amazing and is a step in the right direction. So I'm going to start including the credits I earn from it. Right now it's at about 200. I don't have the exact number, as I didn't plan on adding it until just recently.

• You can change the background color of mudlet, for the record.

Jumpy said:
    The membership is already such a good deal that there is no way we can reduce the cost. 

• You can also change font size. I like 14 because I'm getting old. Any color other than black background sounds nightmarish.

i'm a rebel

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    FINALLY. OMG.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • @Iaxus How do you do that? I know you can change the main display, but I haven't been able to figure out how to change the colors of the scripting windows.

@Jonathin One time you bought one of my alts a lesson package and said something like "I was just going to spend the money on rainbow color shoelaces" or something to the effect. Now every time I treat someone to some IRE goodies that's what I tell them. 
  • Settings > Editor > the dropdown under your current Theme.
    edited June 2020
    Augtavian said:
    @Iaxus How do you do that? I know you can change the main display, but I haven't been able to figure out how to change the colors of the scripting windows.

@Jonathin One time you bought one of my alts a lesson package and said something like "I was just going to spend the money on rainbow color shoelaces" or something to the effect. Now every time I treat someone to some IRE goodies that's what I tell them. 
    I still bought those rainbow shoelaces.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Hello Margaret its me god.

What a month. I got promoted to management at work which was pretty great. I'm sitting here with a heating pad on my back because I thought I was on the last step of the stairs, wasn't, and threw my back out. That wasn't so great. I started hosting a Book Club in Hashan. I haven't done it for two weeks or so now just because the Festival going on in Hashan. It was suggested I make it an event, but I dunno I felt like it would detract from the festival. That and turn out hasn't exactly been great. That's okay though because I've thoroughly enjoyed the discussions, and will start hosting it again probably starting next week. I've also been slowly dipping my toe into combat. Every engagement I learn something new, so that's been nice. I put my feelers out within my house looking for people who want to group up and learn combat together by seeking out conflict. I dunno, something about sparring over and over again to learn combat doesn't seem very appealing to me. Running around Annwyn as part of a gank squad to gather corpses to try and defile, now -that- is more my speed. I like high risk shit like that. I just gotta accept I'm going to be a scrub for a long time.

I bought a training dummy thinking I could practice PK attacks on it. Why the actual fuck would anyone want to spend 50 credits to practice hunting attacks only?! I issued myself asking very nicely for a refund. I hope I get it. This dummy is bullshit.

Someone I met IG suddenly let me know OOC that they were going to commit suicide. Maaaaaaaan. I feel guilty as fuck for saying it, but I just don't have it in me to help a stranger through something like that. I've lost some great people because of suicide. I've sat up all night with friends and family who had suicidal thoughts. Suicide is fucking bullshit. I gave this person the suicide hotline number, told them that their life was important and meaningful and calmly told them they had nothing to be sorry for when they apologized for "wasting my time" over and over. I see them still logging in after the fact. I truly hope they are seeking out the help they need. It was stressful as fuck regardless.

I didn't spend anything on the credit sale, and the artifact cart or talisman pieces don't hold a whole lot of interest for me either. I just can't bring myself to pay that much at one time.

My elite rolled over, so that brings me up to $922
    I was a goofy doofy and didn't keep proper track of how many credits I earned from adventuring. So imprecisely I'd put it at 400.

Kthnxluvubye. 
  • Congrats! I want to run for that position in Ashtan, but I still feel too new.. I'm taking it slow by getting an Aide spot. 

How many points does that count toward the Staff of Nicator? Does it count? I don't know how the staff thing works.
  • Staff only counts stuff in the competition, but to do well in that you gotta build support. So 0 real points, probably 2-3 soft points, MinSec and MinWar would be a 5-6 in my made up soft point system.
  • The time has come. 
  • Pandora called me mediocre IC so now I need to prove her wrong. See ya in 902 Lady P!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vimZj8HW0Kg

• I had a lot of fun reading through this thread and it made me realize how grateful I am that Augtavian is still around in the Krymenian Academy. It makes me wonder how different things could have been if he had stayed a Mhaldorian.

• Yeah, I still wonder about that myself. Mhaldor is a great city, and I had a lot of fun there. The roleplaying was the best I've ever experienced in Achaea, and getting out of slave rank there still feels like one of the most significant moments in my Achaea career. Hashan is my forever home now though, it's where I've been happiest during my Achaea career.

• And we're back!

• I thought I'd cringe a lot more going back and rereading this thread. Certainly, there is plenty of cringe, but I think just having some record of how far I've come far outweighs it! I was so proud of myself when I reached HR5, and now I'm a house leader! Been a HL now for about two or three weeks and I love it. I've been part of a lot of orgs where I always felt like the leaders never engaged me, or encouraged me. So I've been doing my damnest to be there for all my house mates. I'm the head of house novices too, and I have a great team of aides and am really happy with how we have been able to ensure novices get the attention they need. One of the first things I did was write a guide for each testing rank for my aides to follow. I empathized that it's important to have conversations with our novices, and not just go through a checklist with them.

One thing I did cringe at though is how upset I got with the costs of playing Achaea. I'm not thrilled looking back how much I've spent here but a realization set in; a lot of hobbies cost a bullshit amount of money. And now that NFTs are a thing at least I can say I haven't paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for a picture of an ape or some nonsense. Finally the staff of Achaea needs to eat, pay bills, and fuel their own game addictions. Ya'll deserve it, but offer to slip a celani a pizza for their work from time to time, yeah?

Although I won't recant my statement that I hope Matt (Sarapis) uses some of the money I spent to buy a double-ended dildo staff to bring with him to Burning Man. Not out of spite or anything, but just because I think if designed right it could be really trippy. Imagine there you are at Burning Man, a skull full of acid and you see a super hunky guy spinning around a staff painted gold with two light up purple dildos on either end? Pretty cool if you ask me. That's the sort of content you're all here for right, double ended dildo staffs?

I forgot they decided to replace the quiz with riddles in the next games. I'm -awful- with riddles, but I think I may have come up with a way to help me improve. We'll see.

And Styx still fucking sucks.

• @Mosr is the wind beneath my wings and I was curious if he had retired or not when I saw:

Lord Mosr Gothfraidh (male Dwarf).

He is 420 years old

This vape pen is for you, bro.

Achaea combat game loops I enjoy:

1.) Lose

2.) Figure out why I lost

3.) Change my strategy

4.) Rinse and repeat until I'm gud.

Achaea combat game loops that crush my soul:

1.) Lose because someone has spent a 2017 KIA Sorento more in credits than you and as such can do some OP bullshit your curing scripts aren't capable of dealing with.

2.) Try to fix your scripts

3.) Break everything.

4.) Can't load old profiles because god is dead

5.) Quit Achaea

@Augtavian yep, I retired, buddy. Sometimes I wish I could unretire without any arties or lessons at level 1 though because what kind of mind trip would that be?

I am glad that you are running wild and enjoying the game.
  • Whoa boy, I caught the Minister of War hot potato! How does that even happen?! I'm ready for it though, and I think creating content as MoW for Hashani to enjoy is a lot easier than it is as a house leader. "Go kill stuff!" content! When I first started this thread I was excited just to have finally reached HR5. Now I'm a house leader, a house novice head, a city novice head, AND a Minister of War.

I wish there was some sort of guide on being a house leader, but I've come to realize the truth. No leader really knows what the fuck they are doing, there are just degrees of faking it. Sort of like as a kid you think adults are so responsible, and then you get to be an adult and realize that was obviously not the case! Life is chaos! I was struggling to think of new things for the house, new ways to come together, and then it struck me. Steal ideas. That's always been one of the things I loved about Dungeons and Dragons. The freedom to use tropes in your games as DM, you can make a patchwork world out of ideas taken from all sorts of different sources. Krymenian Academy, how do you want to do this?

I started wearing "Champion of the 902 games" partly to give myself some swagger, and partly to help manifest that destiny. Most of the reactions have been "What's the 902 games?" Someone did ask me if I came from the future, and that made me laugh. The games should take place sometime in November. Not quite time to hunker down and really start planning, but I've been formulating ideas on how I can pull out the win 

Finally, what the fuck is up with shouting and why are 99% of shouts hot garbage? It's like playground bullshit that boils down to "Ha yer dumb!" "NO YOU'RE DUMB!" Your shouts are bad, and you should feel bad. The most painful shout for me is "Yeah, well you only won because of numbers!" Like get the fuck outta here with that weak ass shit. Take it on the chin and move on. Sometimes you have more people, sometimes you have less, stop acting like you're a paragon of fairness when we all know you'd roflstomp an enemy with your summoned discord buddies without a second thought.

All I know is you have to be the change you want to see. Which is why I vow to never shout about unfair numbers while I'm MoW*.

(* - Until I forget about this post and out of frustration at fighting 16-7 for 3+ hours shout about it. But a raid that unfair would never last that long, not on Achaea!) 
  • Augtavian said:
    Finally, what the fuck is up with shouting and why are 99% of shouts hot garbage? It's like playground bullshit that boils down to "Ha yer dumb!" "NO YOU'RE DUMB!" Your shouts are bad, and you should feel bad. The most painful shout for me is "Yeah, well you only won because of numbers!" Like get the fuck outta here with that weak ass shit. Take it on the chin and move on. Sometimes you have more people, sometimes you have less, stop acting like you're a paragon of fairness when we all know you'd roflstomp an enemy with your summoned discord buddies without a second thought.
    This. All of this.
  • Oh cool your character knows everything, never makes a mistake and is perfect in every way. Snoooooooore. I'd rather play with the dude who's trying to pile up mashed potatoes to the moon to ask Ourania if Xoran's drink his blood at night, or the troll who is convinced she's being piloted by gnomes. Let your freak flag fly, it makes for an interesting character. I'd rather be weird than boring.
  • 1) You'll need a more stable building material
    2) They do
    3) She should check the back of her left knee for a max occupancy number
    4) Fuck you. You're boring.