Major Nexus Update Coming

We're finally ready to give a sneak peek at our next project. Our team has spent the last year rewriting Nexus from the ground up. The new version will include several exciting features. Read on and learn what to expect and check out a few screenshots to see how things are progressing.

Here is the shortlist of the new features:

Mobile, stand-alone versions of the client for Android and iOS. 

• A stand-alone desktop version. No need to play in your browser.
  • Edit settings while not logged into your character.
  • Add characters to the client to easily manage them.
  • Auto-login options. Especially handy on mobile.
  • Add and play third-party games to the client. Yes, you will be able to play almost any MUD from the Nexus client. 
  • Settings save on the cloud across all clients. Edit your settings on the desktop version and use them in the mobile app.
  • All IRE games can be played in a single client. 
  • The client is faster and more responsive.  
  • Settings from your current characters are automatically ported to the new client. They are stored separately, so don't worry about corrupting your setups in the current version of Nexus.

Here are a few screenshots from various platforms.

The Character Selection Screen in the Desktop Version

Character Creation Screen on an Android tablet.

Character Select Screen on a Samsung Note 8

Login Screen on a Samsung Note 8

Play Screen in the Chrome browser.

We will be releasing the browser, desktop, and android versions within the next few weeks for you to start experimenting with. The iOS version is about ready as well, we just have to finish jumping through the hoops to get it listed.

Comments

• Couple of questions:

Is there anything planned to allow for Lua compatibility to make a transition from Mudlet smoother? Given the intention to use it across multiple MUD games, transitioning away from Mudlet needs to be somewhat of a simple process.

Failing the above, are there any plans to create an IRE-sponsored system to compete with SVO/Wsys options on Mudlet, to make that transition easier?

I would be interested in playing on Nexus, but re-doing 8+ years of work is not appealing, and I'm sure many are daunted by that as well.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • We do chat about Lua and adding it to Nexus. It may happen in the future. We have some plan to improve VI support first however.

• As a Nexus-only person I shall plaugh at you all from my new, probably bug-ridden client.

So glad to see Nexus get some love. Especially happy with the browser free variant.

The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • It will definitely be buggy to start and we're expecting that. Hopefully it will not take too long to work those out!

• This would be a game changer for the entire MUD community, while amazing for IRE player ofc.

Overall this looks really exciting, can't wait to see it.

• WTB Nexus triggers with more than one capture pattern each.

• Is the IRE phone app still being maintained? If so where can I submit bug reports?

• edited January 2022

Do you mean the app that lets you read message and news and whatnot? We plan on the new app replacing those features, however, if you have something, please email me at jeremy@ironrealms.com.

• This is incredibly exciting and I cannot wait! My boyfriend's been my Nexus tech support but he's found some things frustrating about it. He learned the client (he plays on mudlet) just to help me do stuff on Nexus so he's going to be chuffed about this (and will help with the bug reporting and whatnot, I'm sure, as will I). Thank you so much for this!

• Hey @Jumpy , I'm just curious on the progress on nexus client on when it going to be out soon? I'm looking forward to it :D

2015/01/12 Tecton, the Terraformer has bestowed His divine favour upon you. It will last for approximately 1 Achaean month.
  • edited March 2022

if for nothing else, to see what I need still to transfer to mudlet without being logged in to check

what a boon that will be

• neat,

on a scale of 0 to 10, how much of dev time has been dedicated to performance under load

on a scale of 0 to 10, how much under-the-hood customisability will we have

:3
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

• That sounds promising. Due to my access pattern, syncing mudlet across multiple locations was too much of a chore, and I've been using Nexus for a couple years now. I'm looking forward to that new update.