Why aren't there many Jesters?

Curious why there aren't many jesters? The class looks fun, but Jesters seem like an outcast, like a friend that only makes dad jokes. 

Comments

• I’d say you have a solid understanding of the class. 
  • A bit of personal opinion here, but:

The flavour of the class is moronic.
    The bashing is pretty good, but isn't the best.
    The 1v1 mechanics generally result in fights that aren't enjoyable for at least one of the people involved.
    The group mechanics generally result in being targetted first.
  • edited November 2018
    I edited a load of things so that peels became caltrops, bop was some cool blood-splattering smashing with my blackjack etc. but even then couldn't remain as the class.

I'd love to see it reworked completely - ground up with some form of unique abilities as opposed to just a mixture of vodun + tarot and then silly prank skills.

Even keeping Pranks itself but reskinning it, and adding 2 new skills for Jester specifically, even just those abilities reskinned would have made it more fun for me, personally.
  • Telinus said:
    I edited a load of things so that peels became caltrops, bop was some cool blood-splattering smashing with my blackjack etc. but even then couldn't remain as the class.

I'd love to see it reworked completely - ground up with some form of unique abilities as opposed to just a mixture of vodun + tarot and then silly prank skills.

Even keeping Pranks itself but reskinning it, and adding 2 new skills for Jester specifically, even just those abilities reskinned would have made it more fun for me, personally.
    Very much agreed, with the caveat that it would be weird if Jester lost tarot. IG lore says that Jesters taught Tarot to the Occies, not the other way around.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • Jiraishin said:
    Telinus said:

Very much agreed, with the caveat that it would be weird if Jester lost tarot. IG lore says that Jesters taught Tarot to the Occies, not the other way around.
    yes probably not a good idea for them to lose tarot, but maybe give them something that branches out from the Occie form, to show their innate understanding of it? IDK.
  • I personally still love the Jester flavour but I'm aware I'm in a minority. 

I think the fact that there is almost always a better option for all combat scenarios, hunting and utility. 

Really good to see Chuckles using it though, clearly an experienced IRE player as nobody picks it up that fast, but that doesn't bother me one bit. I'm pleased we have a Jester fighter out there. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • That's nice to hear!
  • I hope it's okay to comment since it's been a few years since the last comment.

I've been playing my Jester for a month. Because I've never had to RP, I figured I'd play a Jester. How hard could it be to play a smart mouthed clown.

Only to learn that's not how the class was designed. The thought of having to use tarot cards and puppets is a major turn off. I thought I could play one that only uses pranks. Be a smart A** and maybe throw some water balloons at my fellow players as I walk through rooms.

I think there's a misconception of what the class is from people who played DnD. And when people take it, it comes off as more of a Gypsy that has pranks instead of curses, than a happy go lucky or evil clown. That people realize that and abandon the class.

Idk, just a thought.

• ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol

Seems to me like you'd be a better necromancer than jester tbh

• The descriptions of jester skills is one of the bigger turnoffs of the class for me. There are a select few people who want to play the obnoxious, moronic, juvenile type character (and usually they don’t last because people hate them). If the class was reskinned to be more of a harlequin of death type deal with sadistic and Saw movie type abilities it may appeal to a larger group of people. Move away from the clown template and slide toward the possessed court jester with deadly intent and I think it would do well

• I keep meaning to classlead a style skill for jesters, similar to how knights can pick between four, except this would primarily change the flavor messages and maybe give 1 unique prank skill at most.

HUMOUR SELECT <manic/cruel/dark/performer>, for example, with manic being the original flavor. Then you can just pick how you want your stuff to look for things like badjoke, balloon animals, runaway, etc.

• ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol

I'm a big fan of jester. It's hilarious