Auction ideas

I'd like to hear what auction items (whether for credits or gold) you've seen/heard of auctioned in the past that were particularly appealing or that you'd like to see auctioned off. As it's the nature of auctions that few or only one of a particular item is sold, there are overpowered concerns, but feel free to propose audacious items. It's fair game though for others to point out that a proposal is too powerful, as you guys understand the details of combat better than I do these days.

Comments

• Let someone preserve a set of forged weapons as if they were arties.  Not something I'd even consider trying to win of course - because plenty of people would go nuts for it. 
  • Are the best forged weapons better than the artefact weapons?
  • ...Yes.
  • @Sarapis Depends on the type of weapon, but in general?  Yeah.  Most people use around level 1 or 2 weapons at this point, a few going to 3 or surpassing it.
  • Yeah, was kind of a rhetorical question. We don't do it because we don't really want people having permanent weapons more powerful than level 3. Part of me thinks it'd be nice insofar as it'd make forging a level3 + weapon multiple times as cool but I'm not sure if that really balances out the potential for weapon inflation that is to be avoided since we don't like to have to nerf stuff that people paid credits for if we can help it.
  • Or just sell a a pair of "level 4 artie weapons" and stack the stats in speed on the verge of, but not quite at, ridiculous speed.  
  • Prismatic resistance ring.  Something I suggest a while ago to Maya that was done as an auction later.
  • Sarapis said:
    Are the best forged weapons better than the artefact weapons?
    Honestly? No (with the exception of like, flails or something). There are, however, special instances when forged weapons can be so good at one specific aspect of a weapon (speed for rapiers, damage for battleaxes), that they overshadow the other positive aspects of artefact weapons (great damage, huge tohit, good speed) in very specific instances. For everything else except those few specific things where a massive damage battleaxe or amazing speed rapier will excel, the artefact weapons are far superior.

• I'm a bit hesitant with suggesting this, because I'd much rather have this as something that can be bought regularly outside of auctions, but I guess having it as an auction item still beats not having it at all:

The ability to "forget" one currently learned racial language (no matter what degree of proficiency) and get another racial language of ones choosing at the same proficiency level instead.

We had an auction item to learn one additional language completely once already, but something like this would make it more specifically to those of us relevant who "wasted" gold on learning a language that later proved useless to them (e.g. learning a racial language and then reincarnating into that race).
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Jules said:
    Or just sell a a pair of "level 4 artie weapons" and stack the stats in speed on the verge of, but not quite at, ridiculous speed.  

Rubbish. There needs to be ludicrous speed rapiers.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Level 4 crit pendants.

"Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• I decided not to purchase Soulpiercers in the last sale because:

1)  the top guys seem to prefer forged and put their $$$ accordingly into other arties, and into top quality forged.  With that in mind, I asked here on the forums, and indeed, several conceded that forged are preferred, due to the importance of speed (so long as other stats are "acceptable" they seem to care only for speed).  I honestly think that some people who continue to insist that the arties are "better" (usually while choosing not to buy those arties) may protest so strongly because they're afraid of a forging change?  

2) no one seems to be sure when the overall weapons rework will happen/what it will entail  Otherwise, I'd be about $640 lighter right now (and happy to be).  

Anyway, whether you allowed someone to preserve top notch forged, or whether it was a "level 4" stacked the way these top fighters prefer, it would send people into an absolute frenzy I think.  But maybe it's just not in the cards, for the reasons Sarapis notes.  Not sure if that was an outright "no", or "hmm, got to think about it", but just something I threw out there because it definitely strikes me as something that would be irresistible for a lot of people. 
  • edited January 2013
    A mount/pet addon that makes it so your pet resets to a specific room of your choosing instead of your inventory.

Achaea used to sell this (that's why several pets still exist that reset to places), but according to admin information, they only allow resets into personal homes now.
  • Horatio said:
    I would love to see an item that allows an adventurer to clear his or her bloodline completely. I would also suggest this item's auction be rigged to only allow me to participate in the bidding.
    No way you would outbid me. I bloodlined -one- freaking person in this entire game, and now I am related to 3/4 of Achaea.

• Cooper said:
    Horatio said:
    I would love to see an item that allows an adventurer to clear his or her bloodline completely. I would also suggest this item's auction be rigged to only allow me to participate in the bidding.
    No way you would outbid me. I bloodlined -one- freaking person in this entire game, and now I am related to 3/4 of Achaea.
    That explains so much. Man. It's all clear now. The ties, the nudity. Everything.
  • Oh god Sohl. Hirst better not get the new cowl.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Need more enemy slots please
  • I only have one other person on Iocun's bloodline, but she's a Rubber Ducky and has the warcry 'Fear me for I ride the legendary rat steeds!', which is already easily enough to make me regret this choice.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Some day she'll upgrade to camels.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• World-emote artefact: once per month. One strike rule on obscene, etc.

Customized Behead with unique Deathsight included. (Penwize Eaglehead not allowed, or I will counter with OzzieOsborneBitehead)

Earring of Synope that resets secondary user once per month. (or a pair of old BRING earrings)

• edited January 2013
    Sena said:
    Imperian had this in the form of a tent that let you create a single indoor room
    OMG this. This is even like a ground rune there, I think.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    BRING earrings were so great. I would love to have them in game again.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• edited January 2013
    Mizik said:
    Sena said:
    Imperian had this in the form of a tent that let you create a single indoor room
    OMG this. This is even like a ground rune there, I think.
    Portable killroom FTW!
    Mizik said:
    Customized Behead with unique Deathsight included. (Penwize Eaglehead not allowed, or I will counter with OzzieOsborneBitehead)
    Do you mean something that is still essentially beheading, just with some unique flavour, or a totally custom instakill that just has the same mechanics as beheading (same duration, hindered by the same things, etc.), but perhaps without requiring a wielded sword? If the latter, that would be utterly awesome.

Only difficulty would be to make it somewhat universally detectable as an instakill, so people don't get killed by it simply because they don't know the messages. But then... it's only going to be a single person who has this, so people will learn quickly. And well, if someone is suddenly standing still, without curing, and ominous room messages come up, that's usually a sign that you'd better get some hindering or fleeing in! 

Oh, one more idea, depending on whether the code of the weather system allows it: an item that allows the owner to modify the weather in the current area to a moderate degree, once per RL day. "Moderate degree" means no sudden blizzard-calling on a sunny summer day in the Mhojave, but perhaps making it rain when it's already cloudy, or turning a blizzard into mere snowfall.

Also: a worm sources artie.

Also: an item that lets you cure all afflictions of another player (not yourself!) once per RL day. Takes two seconds of uninterrupted concentration to go through.

Also: an item that lets you resurrect yourself like with a gem of transmutation, but without changing race.
  • While they aren't actual auction items I've seen/heard, here are some other ideas I had that would be interesting:

A unique "mini-class" of sorts. Like dragon, you can change to/from the class at will, and it entirely replaces your normal class. It wouldn't be a full class, it would just have a single skill with a relatively small collection of useful abilities, maybe focussing on a certain theme. Maybe a travel mini-class, with abilities like portals, flying, track, a raido/hermit/pathfinder-like return ability, and a universe-like ability. Maybe a stealth mini-class that gives you abilities like hide, cloak, ghost, shadow, and evade (this would cause a lot of serpent crying, but I don't think it's too bad if it requires giving up your normal class to access the abilities. It could also give abilities that are similar, but not identical, like an "evade" that only hides your movement and doesn't bypass any hindering). Maybe a support mini-class that lets you give various buffs to your allies in the room with you (meaning that if you leave or change back to your normal class, the buffs end). These ideas are pretty powerful, so maybe add some limitation, like only being able to use the class for a limited amount of time, or only being able to change to/from the class once per Achaean month.

A normally unplayable race. Have a chance to become a Vertani, Gnoll, Mingruk, or various other Achaean races, with their own racial trait. This should make the race permanently accessible to you as a reincarnation choice, not just a one-time change.
This discussion has been closed.