Psion Combat Questions

So there's no psion-specific board yet. I've searched for answers on some of this stuff, which helped but a lot of it seemed to be coming from a place of already knowing a lot of the stuff I'm trying to figure out and discussing it, so I couldn't find everything, and I dunno how much of that is still true today after whatever balance passes have been made.

1. What's the basic psion gameplan? It sounds like it's heavy on keeping tempo with afflictions and blast is a cornerstone, is blast for a mana-draining flurry into excise the main thing to be working toward? Is deconstruct any good as a kill path? I'm trying to put together the basic flowchart but without more experience in the game (I last played in 2007 and didn't do much) I'm doing a puzzle without being able to see what the pieces look like.
  2. Does unravel tick continually or does it only do damage when it progresses up to a maximum? Would it make more sense to twist from spirit to make it harder to cure until it's fully ramped up, or into spirit to make it hard to get rid of for flurry/deconstruct after it's done its damage? Or am I completely misunderstanding how this ability works?

Comments

• The basic Psion plan is to utilize deathblow, overhand, and backhand to convert head damage into a burst of afflictions, then blast. Mind and body unweaves also work well with this strategy, doing damage on every tick and getting more dangerous over time. You don't need to do anything special to capitalize on blast; just keep afflicting and watch mana for excise, or let them die to health damage trying to prevent it. Deconstruct happens sometimes, but it's unreliable. You won't actively pursue it, but be opportunistic if you see the chance.

Spirit unweave, invert, and flurry are things that a beginner doesn't need to worry about. I find that those make for a slow and gimmicky strategy, but feel free to experiment if you think you want to see for yourself. You can branch into locking with Psi Combust eventually, too, but I wouldn't suggest starting there.

• edited May 2021

What makes flurry gimmicky or something to put aside for now? Just because it interrupts the head-bonking affliction loop or is it not worth using without stacked spirit?

In any case I've got a better idea of what I need to look at getting started, thanks.

• What makes flurry gimmicky or something to put aside for now? Just because it interrupts the head-bonking affliction loop or is it not worth using without stacked spirit?

Both