What else to do with lessons?

edited January 2013 in North of Thera

So, many of us gave three cheers at the announcement that there was something that could be done with lessons (HELP LANDMARKS).  Are there any (sensible) suggestions on what else could be done with lessons, given that they are one of the bigger selling points of Iron Membership?

Just to get the ball rolling, I'd like it if we could convert lessons into language lessons (not necessarily 1:1, and perhaps with a cap on conversion/IG year).

Also, maybe some kind of 'epiphany' system where you can blow X-hundred lessons for a 24 hour xp bonus, or some such.

NB - Yes, I'm aware that lesson hoards may be further dealt with by the new weaponry overhaul, so we should probably steer clear of that one.

ETA - Moved to NoT
Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
I take my hat off to you.

Comments

• Aepas said:
    bring back lesson gambling
    So we can deal with fleets of newbies suiciding if they don't get enough lucky roulette spins to trans, again? No thanks.
  • Rispok said:

Aepas said:

So we can deal with fleets of newbies suiciding if they don't get enough lucky roulette spins to trans, again? No thanks.

Lol, that was a thing? Fantastic.

• I would make a script to automate the gambling, then go to the internet cafe down the road so I wouldn't get IP banned at home, then trans EVERYTHING.
  • @Sena, love the idea on a purely OOC basis, but (yes, yes, I know I'll get yelled at with the predictable retort to this) it doesn't make much sense that having more lessons would allow you to 'learn' how to have more friends/clans.

Seems a little incongruent.
  • Clans aren't hard to justify, given the telepathic nature of channels. You spend lessons to learn how to handle more telepathic channels at once.

Learning to have more friends doesn't have such an easy explanation (partly because there really isn't any IC explanation for the system), but it doesn't seem much worse to me than learning to auto-walk to another location.
  • edited January 2013
    Sena said:
    Clans aren't hard to justify, given the telepathic nature of channels. You spend lessons to learn how to handle more telepathic channels at once.

Learning to have more friends doesn't have such an easy explanation (partly because there really isn't any IC explanation for the system), but it doesn't seem much worse to me than learning to auto-walk to another location.
    Great answer; respect.

See, auto-walking makes sense to me, because instead of learning how to sing people to death (Voicecraft) or strum them to sleep (Harmonics) you spent your time learning how to walk around places.  As for the friend slots, I guess that could follow a similar 'it's telepathy' route as you get a ping when your friends log on, right?

So, yeah, fully behind your suggestions :)
  • @Kyrra - would be an awesome new level of customisation :)
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    For example, Kyrra was actually born in Genji to a denizen woman that was mauled to death quite horrifically by a bear, just hours after escaping the village and a terrifying manticore attack. (A whole group of manticores, not just one). So, up until she was seven or eight years old, Kyrra grew up in this village. She would have interacted with some of the key denizens, like I had it recorded that she'd been learning to read from the shaman there and that's where part of her interest in runelore came from. I think it would be really nice to learn culture there, for a lack of a better term, and be remembered. Maybe the shaman remembers her as a bright little girl, maybe she annoyed the shit out of him, but there would still be a base level of acknowledgement to the player, even if it's just a nod of the head.

I think it's just a nice way to develop some character depth on a personal level, and maybe it's just something that the more hardcore RPers might benefit from. At the time I was in the Runewarden guild, writing a background was actually a requirement in order to advance. I think from GR1 to GR2, if I am not mistaken. I'd already had some ideas in mind but it was still really important to me at the time, even as a relatively new player, to be as factually correct as possible. I used to spend hours wandering around Genji, watching for random room messages, and working out possible implications of things not adding up. So many years later, I still put a lot of thought into my background and I like to expand on different things, even if it's only for my own knowledge and nobody elses.

Gosh I distract myself. This would be cool.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I don't mind hoarding my lessons because you just never know when they'll roll out a new craft or skill.
  • Rispok said:
    Aepas said:
    Transed my first character this way. Suicided about 15 times.
    Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."
  • Just make it possible after, say, 200 hours of play time. It will make idiots quit the game buy more credits.
  • Horatio said:
    I don't mind hoarding my lessons because you just never know when they'll roll out a new craft or skill.
    That's what my 3349 (+5 per day +lessons gained from teaching) are gonna go for I guess

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Veldrin said:
    Horatio said:
    I don't mind hoarding my lessons because you just never know when they'll roll out a new craft or skill.
    That's what my 3349 (+5 per day +lessons gained from teaching) are gonna go for I guess
    You could also class chance once if bored.
  • Only way I'll be another class is if they give us multiclass!

• While it may not fit the topic's criteria (sensible suggestions), I've been thinking for a while now about an idea that would use up large numbers of lessons.

Basically, a set of new skills of some sort (maybe a tradeskill redesign with some new tradeskills) with increasing costs to learn, like language learning.

For example, say the list of tradeskills is tailoring, jewellery, cooking, gathering, inkmilling, brewing, woodcarving, mining, and fishing (redesigned and separated from survival). Rather than learning them like normal skills, they would be more like language learning. Each tradeskill takes 7 learning sessions, and the first 7 sessions cost 100 lessons each, then the next 7 sessions are doubled to 200 each, then 400, etc., so learning all 9 skills (63 sessions) would take 357,700 lessons. You could spread the sessions around like languages as well, learning a bit of each skill instead of mastering a few.

This is just an example, it doesn't have to be tradeskills (it could even be individual abilities rather than entire skills). If tradeskills are changed like this though, I would let those who've already learned some tradeskills have the option to unlearn/refund them (since the cost of learning a new skill would be huge for someone with a lot already). Licenses could be kept as they are (an extra 200 credits if you want to use tailoring/cooking/jewellery), or consolidated into a single "design license" required for anything involving designs (with a refund for people with multiple licenses before the change).

If not tradeskills, it could be a set of new skills/abilities that are mostly for flavour (maybe with some mechanical benefits), like playing an instrument, taming animals as mini-pets, painting, etc.

In addition to preventing lessons from ever becoming useless (unless you spend thousands of credits to learn them all), it adds some more differentiation between characters, with another area where one person can't do everything.
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Veldrin said:
    Only way I'll be another class is if they give us multiclass!
    Already in game, Called Dragon :D

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I actually wouldn't mind a heavily restricted form of multiclassing. Not like Aetolia's though. Something different but equally as multiclassy. Force people to wear a suit, tie, and tophat or something while they multiclass.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Jonathin said:
    I actually wouldn't mind a heavily restricted form of multiclassing. Not like Aetolia's though. Something different but equally as multiclassy. Force people to wear a suit, tie, and tophat or something while they multiclass.

People with lots of lessons multiclassing?

Is this what you want? Veldrin and the like walking around with three classes at a time?

IS IT?
  • Darklyre said:
    Jonathin said:

People with lots of lessons multiclassing?

Is this what you want? Veldrin and the like walking around with three classes at a time?

IS IT?
    The guy on the left is sort of how I'm dressed anyways.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Does that mean I can have Devotion again?? :D
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Kyrra said:

Does that mean I can have Devotion again?? :D

No
  • Does that mean I can have Devotion again?? :D

Yep!
  • VeldrinVeldrin Denmark
    edited February 2013
    Sena said:

If not tradeskills, it could be a set of new skills/abilities that are mostly for flavour (maybe with some mechanical benefits), like playing an instrument, taming animals as mini-pets, painting, etc.

I'd prefer the flavour/mechanical benefits over the tradeskills thing
    Also you can't wear three hats :( Already tried (Can wear a helmet and a hat and the tophat artie though! )

@Kyrra you can have the skill but no actual devotion?

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    But @Achilles, it'll be such a bonding experience!