Earrings

2»

Comments

• No, I just don't really want you talking to me, or tagging me. If you want to use me as an example of me being "OH ADRK 2 GOOD. CAN NEVER BE PKD BCZ EARRINGS!" then go ahead I guess. But like. That is really not how it goes, ask a ton of people who gank me.

Atalkez saw me sit there spamming say Raido for like 30 seconds of a fight before I died. It was absolutely hilarious and sad.

• Earrings are only a part of the overall mobility/survivability bloat we've seen, IMO. Earrings are definitely a problem, but urn is pretty terrible too (and stacks), and we've nerved the orb improvement so that wings are back on the table too. Other escapes may be easier to stop, but once you throw in the rest of the instant survivability tools (however many wands of reflections someone has, olive branch, ect) even those weaker escapes become pretty difficult to stop. Sure I can drop a monolith to stop a legenddeck card, but if someone's got fifteen reflections they can probably just get off the dang monolith or just spam duanathar past orb before I'll touch them.

• edited March 2021

@Keorin are you sure wands of reflection (owned by the same person) stack? I'm pretty sure it's a character cooldown, regardless of how many you own. I know 100% it shows up on cooldown. Definitely not saying you're wrong but it feels like a bug or a problem if you're not.

Wand + Olive branch simultaneously is kinda dumb though and really isn't hated as much as it should be purely because olive branch is so expensive that not many have them, but still I'd rather have one earring than an urn, a wand, and an olive branch. Why buy time trying to escape when I can just push my unlockable instant escape button?

Also, let's not forget that all of those items you listed 1) are dramatically easier to counter than earrings, 2) can only own/use one of them, and 3) have huge cooldowns. None of those apply to earrings.

• I have had an urn mount for some time now and I have not used it once to escape a fight. Just because you have these methods available to you does not mean that you have to make use of them all the time.

I still dislike earrings too of course and I agree that the level of escapes in conflicts is incredibly annoying, but when you play with a “I have to win” mentality obviously you’re going to try and do that however you can. In my opinion part of the problem is that mentality itself, because it perpetuates these issues further.

• edited March 2021

@Kaios - It's hellova lot easier to change a few lines of code than it is to change a 25 year old culture of fighting to win at all costs. Also I'm not so sure that culture is really a problem as frankly it's the main reason IRE has been able to keep the game going so long (these people keep this lights on).

Also, I don't think you see people "abuse" urn because it's not really abusable. It's very easy to prevent it 1v1 and even if it succeeds it's a 24 hour cooldown. To me it it's nowhere near being comparable to earrings - it's several tiers away in terms of it's defensive power, and doesn't even register as an offensive power (whereas earring is both).

If you want to compare earrings to something compare it to having a hypothetical wand of reflections that gave you 5+ reflections every 1.5s with no cooldown. Even then, I'd probably rather have earring over that, because I can't teleport a 15-man raid group into a monolith'd room in Mhaldor with a wand of reflections.

I think any discussion of urn should be done in a totally different thread because urn is not the primary tool used to avoid all 1v1 in the game nor is it the primary tool for egress/ingress in virtually every raid in the last decade. I've never actually even seen one used in combat a single time. I see earrings used more often than every class-based travel ability and other artefact travel ability combined, excluding wings.

Also all of the suggestions so far to fix earrings have been geared at doing so in a way that doesn't hurt the many people who actually use them for what they were intended for - traveling to a friend to do fun stuff together instead of walking (noting that earring predates both in-game and clientside WALK TO functionality). It's pretty easy to do this.

• I don't disagree with you I think it's fighting a losing battle when you try and tell people not to focus on winning, or being victorious in combat, however you want to look at it. But in games with even the smallest semblance of roleplay in them I think this tends to become a battle between having fun with the roleplay aspect and in general, or having fun because you win and getting angry when you lose. Those are two significantly different approaches to how one plays a game such as this.

• ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol

I have 0 problem with earrings and the people that do are just mad cuz bad

• @Shecks

The last I talked to someone with the capacity to test it (I'm not that rich, lol), it was a per-wand cooldown. If that's changed, I can't find any kind of classlead or record of it.

I'd love to be proven totally wrong here, but that's going to take someone with multiple wands testing.

• Also, I don't think you see people "abuse" urn because it's not really abusable. It's very easy to prevent it 1v1 and even if it succeeds it's a 24 hour cooldown.

You give a sharp whistle to a phantom jaguar and it carries you away in a mad dash.

High green grasses.

The stars glimmer down from a clear and cloudless sky, bathing the landscape in silvery light.

You see exits leading south, southwest, and northwest.

You must regain balance first.

[5815(100%)|6363(99%)|94|97|71.4] [B D C K E]   

0 0-0 0 0-0      0 -0- 0 -0-      14:34:46.46

You have recovered balance on all limbs. 2.73s

[5815(100%)|6396(100%)|94|97|71.4] [B D C K XE]  (+33m, 0.5%) 

0 0-0 0 0-0      0 -0- 0 -0-      14:34:49.19

Golden-grained plains.

The stars glimmer down from a clear and cloudless sky, bathing the landscape in silvery light. A

painted mazaran pauses here, her mane flowing freely in the wind.

You see exits leading north, south, and northwest.

[5815(100%)|6364(99%)|94|97|71.4] [B D C K XE]  (-32m, 0.5%) 

0 0-0 0 0-0      0 -0- 0 -0-      14:34:50.10

You give a sharp whistle to a phantom jaguar and it carries you away in a mad dash.

High green grasses.

The stars glimmer down from a clear and cloudless sky, bathing the landscape in silvery light.

You see exits leading south, southwest, and northwest.

Urn is uh. Definitely not a 24 hour cooldown. If you *kill the mount* it's on cooldown, but I suspect there are some people using things like the old whistles to whistle the mount into their inventory so they can just drop/vault/urn out, or something else like that going on. But, even the 'summon mount' balance is 1.9s or thereabouts. I'm not going to argue if it's stronger or weaker than earrings, but it's definitely pretty powerful still.

• edited March 2021

Urn is also prevented by anything that would prevent you from mounting.

Edit: there is also a balance to mount unless you pay for swift mount or have it in your skills.

• Urn is also prevented by anything that would prevent you from mounting.

Edit: there is also a balance to mount unless you pay for swift mount or have it in your skills.

This is definitely true. It also gets blocked by things that block movement- like I'm pretty sure distort has blocked me from leaving the room with urn, and I got summoned back to Hashan by constables one time (that was pretty weird). Like I said, I'm not saying whether it's better or worse than earrings, just that it's not a 24 hour cooldown and it's one more option.

Also it's nice if you don't have friends, because you can't earring to people who aren't online. :(

• edited March 2021

Oh and correction, wand of reflections is not on cooldowns, I just tested it. This makes it plausible but not guaranteed that using multiple of them might work.

Even if it did though, it's still an hour cooldown each and comes nowhere close to as useful as earring which doesn't prevent 5 hits it prevents all hits (by instantly traveling to the other side of the planet) without a cooldown, after which you can just instantly teleport back in a raid/team scenario.

My guess is that multiple wands is perhaps an oversight though (or at least much easier to fix now with the new cooldown system), so wouldn't invest in more than one.

• No idea how wands work, but literally went to kill someone who pointed wand at himself and 4 reflections appeared. No idea if it was a stack of them, but all I saw was him pointing and then 4 reflections of blah appear! That was annoying!

• You can have unlimited reflections from the WoR if you are patient or have a lot of friends. You'll only be able to own and use 1 effectively (if you own two, both will be unusable for an hour). I don't remember when that change was implemented.

Urn is definitely not on a 24 hour cooldown. Never has been. Urn was until pretty recently the most abused escape in the game.

• The 24 hour cooldown was mentioned early and clarified already, I believe. The commenter was speaking about the 24 hour cooldown associated with resummoning an urn mount after it has been killed and the corpse stashed away. Unless the corpse is offered, you must wait 24 hours before rubbing your urn will produce a new mount. If you attempt to run an urn while your mount's corpse still exists, you are met with a cooldown that counts down the remaining time.