New Layout and Look

edited December 2021 in Archives of the Terraformer
Hello everyone. 

As you can clearly see, we are working on some new looks for the forums. Please give it a few days before you lay into the hate too much. The new design should be significantly better for mobile users. It also has a much better interface for making comments and posting discussions.

Comments

• BRING BACK OLD REACTION TAGS.

THEY ARE NEEDED IN TIMES LIKE THIS.

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.

• Looks good! First glance, love it!
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  • This is terrible.
  • REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  • Are you going to do anything about search? Have you implemented this? https://success.vanillaforums.com/kb/articles/14-advanced-search

It's really annoying that we only get 10 results, this can't be intended behaviour.

• I will accept this monstrosity in exchange for the LOL and WTF tags back, please.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Double post but, looks like code blocks or something aren't displaying properly.

If I click on the box, I can't see anything. Is it because the text is white due to the main background but within the box it's a white background so it's white on white?

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Why do you hate efficient use of space? Everything is so bloody big or spread out. Can we get a compact version?

• edited March 2021
    Atalkez said:
    Double post but, looks like code blocks or something aren't displaying properly.

If I click on the box, I can't see anything. Is it because the text is white due to the main background but within the box it's a white background so it's white on white?

That's the spoiler tag, I can't edit the post now to change it. You have to click it first and then highlight the text to see it.

Let's see how a code tag looks however:
    Hello I am a code block. Typing in me is impossible because my text appears as white.<br>Another Line<br>Another line<br>

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    The only things I dislike are how big the reactions are and the yellow. Idk what it is about dark grey and yellow, but it makes me want to hurl.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • As with every time a forum changes layout, I recognize that this is objectively better than the old layout and hate it anyway.
  • Kaios said:
    Atalkez said:
    Double post but, looks like code blocks or something aren't displaying properly.

That's the spoiler tag, I can't edit the post now to change it. You have to click it first and then highlight the text to see it.

Let's see how a code tag looks however:
    Hello I am a code block. Typing in me is impossible because my text appears as white.<br>Another Line<br>Another line<br>
    asdfsdf
    I am working on this.
  • reactions on Twitter the godfather marlon brando look how they massacred  my boy
    Old reactions at least would definitely help soothe the pain and suffering.

• Okay, the code block option should work better now. The editor had not been updated yet. Notice the paragraph symbol to the left that will let you select the format of the text you are writing.

This is a test.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States

Can we make signature spaces and reaction avatars about half the size they are now?

• ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Looks a lot better on mobile. Let’s get these reactions back @Jumpy come on buddy!

• It is very challenging to see where a post starts and where signatures start/end.

Challenging to see who posted a new post, or when the last post was made.

• edited March 2021

thanks, I hate it

(mostly just teasing)

• The text field for username in the "Who's Online' section seems to be white on white when you mouse-over to see the name.

That's kinda a nitpick but I figure that issue may pop up elsewhere. Thank you for taking suggestions.

• It looks really kindof hard on the eyes and until I saw this thread, I thought something was really wrong with the forum.

• I'm a DWC runewarden without other classes. Clearly I hate change.

postscript REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• The "Latest Post" column on any page is removed when viewed in portrait.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo

I don't agree this is better for mobile navegation. I think it's mostly the spaciousness of everything that throws things off.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• I'm not sure this is better for mobile, at least for me then what it was before, but i'm sure it'll work itself out.

• edited March 2021

I am stoked to see that this is happening, but I also agree that it's very big and chunky. I already used desktop mode on the old one (on mobile) but now even that is too big. The mobile version feels like I'm seeing about 2% of the page at a time, even on my XL phone - and there are quite a lot of single posts that take up like 6 screens worth of scrolling. Honestly the format feel like it's aimed at boomers, not young people who have decent eyesight* and know how to use a browser :p.

*Not a jab at people who don't have perfect eyesight - but I think in an ideal world you'd assume people can read "normal" (much smaller sized) text and provide an alternative people who cannot or prefer not to.

One thing that would help mobile users a lot is if we didn't have 10-ish pinned threads all the time (noting some have long since been closed / no longer relevant).

This discussion has been closed.