Pariah: living, undead, or in between?

I've had this question on my mind since performing the ritual of interment. Do you think pariah are a new type of undead? An existence between life and death? Or still entirely alive but with a strong spiritual bond to the realm of death? I've asked a handful of people IC and nobody seems ready to give an answer, so I thought we could discuss it here. 

Certain lines within the ritual which I feel I shouldn't spoil make me personally feel like it's either a new type of undead, or an existence in between, but I am the absolute opposite of an authority on lore. I'll also admit I'm kind of a horror nerd, so of course I'd want to believe in playable undead, that's a bias I can't shake.

Please share your thoughts!

Comments

• edited January 2021
    Combined with the Mummy, is my idea of what they are. There's definitely large amount of inspiration drawn from both, as well as Egyptian stuff in general.

Unlife; alive, but not actually. You can kinda see what I mean, if you go and die. It has an entirely difference 'death sequence' to others.

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    My own interpretation is that the ritual of interment binds their soul to their tomb so they cannot pass on. Mechanically this makes them little different from other player characters, though in-universe this means Ugrach doesn't get to give them a gotcha whenever he decides they have run out of time. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• They seem closest to mummy lords in other games, except the process is magical rather than clerical.  I don't want to put spoilers here but the final words uttered during the ritual seem an important clue to their nature.  But it is important to distinguish them from the Grave faction in Ghezavat; the Grave reveres the realm of death, and pariahs reject (and were cursed by) it.

The real interesting question, lorewise, though, is ... who (or what) exactly do they face in the death sequence, because it does judge them, and it certainly isn't Ugrach.
  • Yen said:
    They seem closest to mummy lords in other games, except the process is magical rather than clerical.  I don't want to put spoilers here but the final words uttered during the ritual seem an important clue to their nature.  But it is important to distinguish them from the Grave faction in Ghezavat; the Grave reveres the realm of death, and pariahs reject (and were cursed by) it.

The real interesting question, lorewise, though, is ... who (or what) exactly do they face in the death sequence, because it does judge them, and it certainly isn't Ugrach.
    I'm pretty sure the Death Sequence is a dream-like flashback, as they return to their tomb. Where you see, what I assume is the 1st accursed and his "deal" with a certain, obvious God.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Yen said:
    They seem closest to mummy lords in other games, except the process is magical rather than clerical.  I don't want to put spoilers here but the final words uttered during the ritual seem an important clue to their nature.  But it is important to distinguish them from the Grave faction in Ghezavat; the Grave reveres the realm of death, and pariahs reject (and were cursed by) it.

Spoiler just in case

Well, the one death sequence I've seen makes it clear that you're seeing someone else's memory. In which case, and judging by hints in Ghezavat, you are experiencing some of Khentimen's memories as Thoth judges (and curses) him and everyone else. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.