Walkto Thread

Should have done this originally.
The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."

Comments

• ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    walking is ableist and very exclusive
  • It feels as though if you agree with changing walk-to, you must hate everyone and think their opinions are trash.  Hate to break it to you folks, but I can think your opinion is wrong without thinking any less of you.

Similarly, I can believe that walk-to was very, incredibly, horribly terrible while also believing there are parts of it that were valid, good, and should return with modifications.

Crazy how the world is full of all these grey areas where we need to hold a civil discourse.  It's almost like we don't care about that and just want to say mean things about/to each other.
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    thank u for the inspirational words, i henceforth resolve to never troll anyone again
  • Archaeon said:
    thank u for the inspirational words, i henceforth resolve to never troll anyone again
    You are welcome for the newfound wind within your sails, and your ceaseless devotion Strife stands as a paragon for all of Sapience to admire.
  • Archaeon said:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS!  Fuck ALL YALL with your fancy "walking".  Bunch of elitists.

• I think a lot of the issues deleting walkto created could be addressed with more expansive, static serverside landmarks.  Already, Nexus lets you autowalk to room numbers with PATH, so this functionality is already officially provided, just not to every client.  The assumption that non-Nexus users are using a mapper is not always true (I do not, and I always get flustered when people give me a room name and expect I can just automatically navigate there).

I don't really buy the argument that walkto implied a kind of denizen farsee ability.  Actually it was a lot more dangerous than farsee because you wouldn't necessarily know where you were going to end up before you got there, except for the general area.  I understand it was heavily used to track renown denizens, but I'm not sure it's that excellent to have a dynamic where the denizen pops, 20 people's systems get pings and then the race begins.  I'd mostly given up on hunting renown denizens because of that, except for the off-plane ones which were not checkable in that fashion and had a much higher chance of actually being available if I went out to find them.

Reagent hunting--yes, the Sangre buffalo spread themselves out, but the ones in Dardanic and Meropis are in fairly small areas.  If it is really a major issue, the Sangre buffalo could be taught to gather in herds as buffalo should.
  • edited January 2021
    I wonder if following the same idea as serverside but with regards to an Achaea Mapper would be a worthwhile use of coder time?

walk to <area> which is usable from anywhere on the same continent as the specified area.
    rf <room name> which identifies which area a room is located in.

With the above features, you could maybe introduce a level 1 attainment or survival ability that can sense which area, or room name, a specified denizen is located at if they are alive, and then let the player explore the area themselves to find said denizen. I can understand Makarios' statement concerning a hands-off-keyboard approach to the game which can be highly detrimental, but then we have to be careful not to conflate that with simple quality of life mechanics.

Somebody playing the game who uses Mudlet and has familiarity with Mudlet Mapper is already at a great advantage when compared with a Nexus user simply because of the way they're connecting to the game. That is worth admin consideration.
  • UtianimaUtianima Norway and Austria
    Caelan said:
    Archaeon said:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS!  Fuck ALL YALL with your fancy "walking".  Bunch of elitists.
    Lol bro 😁 Love your humor!

• @Caelan are you Captain Dan from Forrest Gump?
  • Lieutenant Dan - @Thaisen
  • edited January 2021
    Thaisen said:
    @Caelan are you Captain Dan from Forrest Gump?
    Last I knew, he was a LIEUTENANT!  Goddamn anyone can be a Captain these days.  New Corps Bullshit!

Oh good Grujajajajakek..  say what I say but 3 hours before me.  I see how it is.

• Caelan said:
    Thaisen said:
    @Caelan are you Captain Dan from Forrest Gump?
    Last I knew, he was a LIEUTENANT!  Goddamn anyone can be a Captain these days.  New Corps Bullshit!

Oh good Grujajajajakek..  say what I say but 3 hours before me.  I see how it is.
    I got your back Caellalalalein
  • Thanks Forre... I mean Gurlakakekek