What is the point of lesson packages?

If your goal is lessons you are far better off just getting a credit package and converting to lessons. I'm kind of baffled as to why lesson packages are more expensive than credit packages (with a single exception) when credits are so much more versatile in their usage than lessons are.

Unless someone wants to correct me on my math...but I don't think this is wrong.

If you wanted 7000 lessons you could buy the 5000 lesson package (with a 40% bonus) and get 7000 lessons.... OR you could pay $1 LESS and get 1260 credits and covert those to 7560 lessons???

Also, you might look at that "Credits" line and think to yourself, "It almost kind of looks like the line goes UP between the the 600 and 700 credit packages?!" and you would be right...

Comments

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I'm not sure why lessons are sold at even nearly the same rate as credits to begin with. As you mentioned, there are a lot more you can do with credits. At current rates, there's no incentive to buy lessons over credits, especially if you have Iron Elite.

Not to mention the one-time No-Brainer Lesson package is 1,000 lessons for $10. I'd by lessons in batches of 1,000 for even $20 a pop if available.

• I was toying with the math on this yesterday myself to see how relevant it was. I found it interesting and think buying credits is the smarter purchase, not that I even planned on buying anything I just enjoy doing the math. 
  • I don't think the purpose is to be cheaper.  The purpose is to trigger double-FOMO purchases by releasing a new class and also having a limited-time 40% "sale" on the thing you need to try out said class.

I like IRE but they like money a lot more than they like me (which is fair, they're not a charity).  If you start looking at things they do as money grabs, they'll make a lot more sense.

The thing that gets me is these stockings / caches.  They credit or lesson per dollar on these things is insane.  Stockings were in the range of 1300-1500 credits per $94 (1.25 cents per lesson).   Caches are the same thing but closer to 1000-1100 per cache (varies per cache type).  That's still 1.4c per lesson which is dramatically better value than both credit and lesson packages, and is far more flexible as not only can you sell them / gift them, you also roll artefacts over and over again and usually will get something you want to keep, in addition to the lessons you wanted.

Do people just not realize this?
  • The point is not how expensive the lesson sale is, it's about how expensive it is in comparison to credits. You can just buy credits and you'll get more lessons per dollar by converting the credits into lessons. The lesson sale is obsolete.
  • Not to mention, if you still haven't hit the conversion cap for the bonus lessons.

@Lynara and I were talking about this the other day. Lessons shouldn't be valued anywhere *near* a credit. Credits are a pretty universal currency, versus a lesson which you literally can only spend on yourself to learn an ability. Which if you decide to swap a class it takes a HUGE chunk out of what you spent. The cost benefit isn't anywhere near even.
  • Atalkez said:
    Lesson sales do absolutely nothing to help with multiclass. The scaling on multiclass is absolutely insane, and lesson sales don't do anything to make it easier to jump on. You're far better off waiting on the next globe/stocking/giftbag promotion, spending $100 to sell them to Seragorn, and get 2x what you get during any flat credit or flat lesson sale months.

Really need an audit on this in comparison to multiclass. $350 to add a new class is not an incentive whatsoever to try to add more classes.

I have long said lessons for gold should be available, removing credit:lesson conversion entirely. Buy credits -> utilize CFS to get gold -> buy lessons. This makes the entire system more intensive and more usable between players to generate the things you want or need without setting a hard number on gold:credit conversion.
    I support this idea. Gives a good gold-sink too which would help deflate the amount of mulah flowing around.
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    edited January 2021
    Lesson sales have long confused me as to their existence in their current form. Its one thing to be able to argue various sales as more/less effective, but this type generally seems a complete dud.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • edited January 2021
    I bought $400 in lessons for Pariah and do feel kinda ripped of, as I assumed the far more limited lessons would come at a lower price.  It was really dumb to assume that but it seems like something that should absolutely ways be correct to assume. 
  • edited January 2021
    yeah with all the work and tears relating to the need for gold sinks, I have long held that lessons should be purchasable w gold.  I also think class slots and the like should as well.

• Caelan said:
    yeah with all the work and tears relating to the need for gold sinks, I have long held that lessons should be purchasable w gold.  I also think class slots and the like should as well.
    Well I mean, they are.  Are you suggesting that they have a completely fixed price?  I'd love that but I don't think it will happen.
  • I was Bard, Runie, Serpent (mono-trans).

I then went "maybe I should pick up Sentinel" (and also joined Eleusis).

I wanted Sentinel in 1st slot, so I had to forget Bard in 1st, and Serpent in 3rd.  Then learn Sentinel in 1st, Bard in 3rd, and Serpent (mono trans) in 4th.

I couldn't just.. move class slots around so I wouldn't have to literally LOSE lessons because it'd be more cost effective to learn a class I may not keep forever (and is faction locked) forever.. Or say.. "Well I spent 5208 lessons for bard in slot 1, lets just move it to slot 3 and you keep all lessons currently invested, but you still need spend the lessons to get it to trans again"...

No. I had to take those 5208 lessons. Cut them in half (2604) and then spend them relearning Bard in a different slot. The multi-class system is nice, but it could very much be improved upon, and I really wish it was improved upon. There's no reason for there to be a level / credit cost to gaining more slots as well.

I could probably go on a rant for a solid hour about this, but other players have already said so much more about it and been ignored because. Hey. It prints money for IRE.
  • Jovolo said:
    I'm almost definitely in the minority but I actually don't like multi class and I wish they had never implemented it. I'd rank multi class alongside house renaissance as my least favourite additions to the game. And maybe AK, but not a lot the devs can do with that one
    Personally I'm with you on this, I think it kills character identity and also makes traditional guilds / class-based org identities practically impossible.

As long as MC exists I'll use it and it's super useful and fun, but I would've personally liked to see it implemented very different - maybe like max of 3 classes, with very strict rules on which classes can be paired (ex: a Paladin/Serpent character is preposterous to me).

Just look at Pariah as a perfect example.  Roleplay is a HUGE part of the class.  How can you actually roleplay a Pariah then 5 minutes later be a Blademaster?  It's kinda silly. 
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Jovolo said:
    I'm almost definitely in the minority but I actually don't like multi class and I wish they had never implemented it. I'd rank multi class alongside house renaissance as my least favourite additions to the game. And maybe AK, but not a lot the devs can do with that one
    I share this sentiment. 

• If we want to get sticky with RP and classes, it makes just as much sense to be both a Pariah and a Blademaster as it does being a blademaster for 500 years then suddenly forgetting literally five centuries of practice over the course of four seconds.
  • All these deaths and resurrections have given everyone brain damage.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Atalkez said:
    All these deaths and resurrections have given everyone brain damage.

I dunno, think some people have had it even before dying.

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.