Walk To Command (Petition for Reversal)

This change is absolutely broken and irritating. 

I can't even walk to the glubber in my own room. ^^ (colourised, 2021)

This isn't a rant. I feel this change was brought about by some bitterness by the small gleaming of (what appears to be) incredibly minor information about an event that most people were enjoying. Novices can no longer walk to glubbers. People can no longer walk to many denizens (I posted above, an image of me not being able to walk to a glubber that was in my room). I don't know what you're aiming for here with this change, but it feels entirely counterintuitive to playing the game. 

This will just lead to more scripted hunting. 

The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."

Comments

• IMO only ferrymen and teacher (SPP, Language, & tutor) denizens should be able to be walked to. 
  • Peak said:
    IMO only ferrymen and teacher (SPP, Language, & tutor) denizens should be able to be walked to. 
    And it's fine to have a bad opinion.
  • Atalkez said:
    I would suggest instead of making it nearly impossible to use, since the original intention was to combat client side scripted databases, maybe just make it only work in the area of the denizen.

Can’t use it to see if something is alive or whatever from anywhere in the game, etc.
    This is what I thought happened. Instead it looks like a knee-jerk reaction that will become cemented in the Garden's inability to admit fault. It's not like they were in charge of making this a fun experience. YEESH.

If they reverted it to this, I'd be happy. 
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • I've tested several different types of denizens for this. To the best of my knowledge it's still possible to WALK TO the following: city denizens, non-city tutors, newbie denizens, and select newbie relevant denizens, like Rico and Murad.

I would love to see added back to the WALK TO list: ferrymen and reagent denizens.

Outside of them I'm actually kind of ok with this change.
  • While I feel like this is somewhat inconvenient, it does make sense. Why can I randomly know where a specific buffalo is and walk to them? It just makes you have to pay a little more attention to things, knowing your denizens and being able to recognize them will be more important now.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Taryius said:
    While I feel like this is somewhat inconvenient, it does make sense. Why can I randomly know where a specific buffalo is and walk to them? It just makes you have to pay a little more attention to things, knowing your denizens and being able to recognize them will be more important now.
    The same way it makes sense for you to know the titles and name of absolutely everyone whether youve met them or not.

Arbitrary logic is arbitrary. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Shirszae said:
    Taryius said:
    While I feel like this is somewhat inconvenient, it does make sense. Why can I randomly know where a specific buffalo is and walk to them? It just makes you have to pay a little more attention to things, knowing your denizens and being able to recognize them will be more important now.
    The same way it makes sense for you to know the titles and name of absolutely everyone whether youve met them or not.

Arbitrary logic is arbitrary. 
    The same way you know that someone is a citizen of a city, but not an ally.
    The same way you know what class, race, title, and name of someone despite having never met them before.
    The same way you can tell all accolades a city has ever earned without reading a book simply because you can check accolades.
    The same way you can check every historical event someone has been a part of without ever researching them.
    The same way you can read news from anywhere, spawn scrolls into existence to read anywhere.
    The same way you can only be one class at a time (Oops sorry, I can't teach you bard right now! I only know how to be a knight!)
    The same way that you have to forget Weaponmastery and Chivalry, or relearn them, to pick up Paladin or Infernal whilst also already being a Runewarden.
    The same way things die and come back to life a short time later.
    The same way I am able to farsee where people are (but this is bad if I do it on denizens).
    The same way that I can see who is in the realms at any given time.

It's not 'random'. We can see where people are via FARSEE. Being able to farsee denizens (maybe a bit wonkier, but still) is fine. If it must be done, still allow the AREA, and then only have WALKTO properly work when in the area (or just farsee denizen tells room name if in area).
  • (?i)^walkto (.+)$

local den_tab = {
    ["EBRA"] = 19164,
    }

if den_tab[string.upper(matches[2])]==nil then
    send(matches[1])
    else
    expandAlias("goto "..den_tab[string.upper(matches[2])])
    end
    </code><code>

I can fit as many things as I want in this table, but you only get 15 landmarks (well 45 if you want to spend 3000 lessons).
  • Astarod said:
    Novices can no longer walk to glubbers.
    Achaea's "think of the children!" argument.

And the "many things are unrealistic in this game, so 'making sense' shouldn't be a criterion at all" is another one I don't quite buy.

In the end it's just a question of more or less convenience, nothing more, nothing less.
  • edited January 2021
    The funny thing is, with this change they pretty clearly proved they're capable of flagging denizens is not able to be walked to.

Logically, you'd think they'd just apply the 'no walk to' tag to event mobs, as opposed to just removing the tag from 90% of the mobs in the game. I'm sure it'd have been less work.

Jaisael said:
    I can fit as many things as I want in this table, but you only get 15 landmarks (well 45 if you want to spend 3000 lessons).

This is useless for reagent hunting, which is what this change impacted pretty heavily. Also mobile/nexus users (which are a greater percentage than you think) probably got hit significantly harder.

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.

• Just had a novice who had trouble locating a city denizen he needed for a novice task because of this change

• edited January 2021
    Iocun said:
    Astarod said:
    Novices can no longer walk to glubbers.
    Achaea's "think of the children!" argument.

And the "many things are unrealistic in this game, so 'making sense' shouldn't be a criterion at all" is another one I don't quite buy.

In the end it's just a question of more or less convenience, nothing more, nothing less.

I think you're truly discounting how frustrating it is for those who start the game on nexus to be told a command that doesn't work anymore. Now they have to find denizens that we learned the locations of, with the walk to command. 

I absolutely think retention should be considered. 

If they neutered GOTO, or PATH FIND, I feel some of these people might change their tune. 

• Apparently I do not use this command nearly enough as this change literally does not affect me except for when I'm trying to find buffalo.
  • I agree that this seems to have been an extremely heavy handed approach from the admin, and a bit of an emotional knee-jerk reaction to their event being spoiled(?). Not the kind of balancing you want to see from the people in charge and the explanation provided is underwhelming at best.

You don't want people using WALK TO to reach certain event denizens, then implement an exception clause into the function and chalk it up as an admin oversight rather than player abuse.
  • WALK TO is also pretty important for VI players.
  • Mizik said:
    Fucking millenials, man.

Remember when guild/house exams used to have tasks that required exploration?

We back!
    Walkto doesn't completely neuter exploration. It just sets the bar a bit higher than walking through an area. For instance, if you tried to walkto the monster in Quartz Peak, it didn't automatically make your character open the area where it lies in. 

• edited January 2021
    Veldrin said:
    Just had a novice who had trouble locating a city denizen he needed for a novice task because of this change
    Astarod said:
    I think you're truly discounting how frustrating it is for those who start the game on nexus to be told a command that doesn't work anymore.

Both of these are merely effects of this change being brand new though. Of course things are going to be frustrating initially when things that used to work suddenly don't anymore. This doesn't mean that it would be a problem in the long term.

Just imagine if they decided to suddenly delete the HONOURS command and all the sudden outcry this would cause - but would it objectively be a detriment to the gameplay as a whole?
  • Veldrin said:
    Just had a novice who had trouble locating a city denizen he needed for a novice task because of this change

Which denizen? I tested several city denizens and they all worked.
  • edited January 2021
    You guys have more power than you think. Personally, I wouldn't have anything else to do with the event after this. If that doesn't work, use your imagination.

I definitely agree that is was a heavy handed response. Like someone else said, it should have been much easier to just flag event denizens as no 'walk tos'. Punishing everyone because some event organizer was frustrated is bad form. 
  • The admin have already been able to lock specific denizens from walkto, I'm 99% certain. I've definitely had ones where I just couldn't before. I've actually used walkto in events partly because I thought it was something the admin could toggle off, and so if we weren't supposed to, I figured they'd just mark it so we couldn't.

Changing the ability to walk to denizens for hunting just isn't a logical reaction, IMO. Not when better tools exist for the problem that was actually announced.
  • I wish they would have at least given us some warning. There's a bunch of NPCs I previously walked to and I can't even remember what area they are in to go looking for them... lol