Crafting Proofreading: Ideas Thread

Hello crafters!

I've included a copy of the announce post that was just posted below, outlining something new we've just put live to help with proofing designs.

---

To help the crafters of Achaea we've created something of a proofreader for your sketches!

When you probe a sketch you will see red and yellow highlighting of certain terms and will list the number of possible errors at the bottom of your sketch.

The PROOF command will do this and give the reasons for the highlighting. Red highlighting means that the term has been flagged as always incorrect. Yellow is to check that this is used correctly!

---

As this is not yet close to being comprehensive, I've created this thread to collect suggestions and ideas of what should be added to the proofreading system. Anyone is welcome to contribute their thoughts, but we are specifically looking for frustrating, unclear, or "obscure" rules that you've come across in your crafting work so that we can clarify these along with all the other common mistakes and errors that the system already includes.

Please feel free to comment and we'll be adding more to this over the coming days with a view to eventually making it as close to comprehensive as possible.
"If you build it, they will come."

Comments

• edited December 2020
    Please clarify the accepted use of hyphens! 

Is it "like this- and stuff," or "like this - and stuff?"

ETA: I've had designs require both, on separate occasions. 
  • Unfortunately we can't put punctuation into the auto-proofer. I will look into the guidelines on this specific instance though and see what we can do. Semicolons are another one that probably need cleaning up.
  • Ignore the above, the coder wizards have managed to make it work!
  • edited December 2020
    Played around with this a bit, here is a list of things it didn't seem to catch that are definitely found in helpfiles.

I don't know if its viable to only highlight/proof certain words if they are used in certain parts of a design. (for example, word that might not allowed in the INVESSEL for beverages but might be fine in examined for artwork) But that would be nice.

Anyway,

• Capitalized race names. Tsol'teth, Tsol'aa, Tsol'dasi, Vertani should all require a capital. All the other races should require being uncapitalized unless starting a sentence, etc. (xorani, troll, grook)
    • Pumpkin-spice isn't allowed, refer to the individual spices.
    • The INVESSEL message for beverages shouldn't 'swirl' or 'slosh' on their own. 
    • Champagne is not allowed in beverage designs.
    • Effervescent should only be used to refer to sparkling wines, not beers, ciders, lagers, etc.
    • The INVESSEL line for beverages should not refer to 'straw' or 'spoon' or other drinking accessories.
    • Runes are a very specific set of symbols, in cases not referring to RUNELORE use glyphs instead.
    • If punctuation is now able to be checked, then superflous punctuation is not allowed (? !)
    • Center should be spelled centre.
    • Chocolatey should be spelled chocolaty. (I think)
    • Vermillion should be spelled vermilion.
    • Coffee does not exist in Achaea, refer to kawhe instead.
    • 'Very berry' as a flavor is modern and anachronistic
  • It could flag materials that require approval of a specific Divine.  Mithril and bloodsteel come to mind.  Or if those things are customisation-only (they might be?), it could say that.
  • Yen said:
    It could flag materials that require approval of a specific Divine.  Mithril and bloodsteel come to mind.  Or if those things are customisation-only (they might be?), it could say that.
    It already does! It's pretty nifty.
  • Taryius said:
    Played around with this a bit, here is a list of things it didn't seem to catch that are definitely found in helpfiles.

I don't know if its viable to only highlight/proof certain words if they are used in certain parts of a design. (for example, word that might not allowed in the INVESSEL for beverages but might be fine in examined for artwork) But that would be nice.

Anyway,

• Capitalized race names. Tsol'teth, Tsol'aa, Tsol'dasi, Vertani should all require a capital. All the other races should require being uncapitalized unless starting a sentence, etc. (xorani, troll, grook)
    This was mostly already the case. Added Vertani.
    • Pumpkin-spice isn't allowed, refer to the individual spices.
    The hyphen here might cause problems. It's on the list to look into.
    • The INVESSEL message for beverages shouldn't 'swirl' or 'slosh' on their own.
    This one isn't possible but we are looking at separate entries per type.
    • Champagne is not allowed in beverage designs
    Added.
    • Effervescent should only be used to refer to sparkling wines, not beers, ciders, lagers, etc.
    Added.
    • The INVESSEL line for beverages should not refer to 'straw' or 'spoon' or other drinking accessories.
    Again, not possible except as a catch-all, but looking into separate options per type.
    • Runes are a very specific set of symbols, in cases not referring to RUNELORE use glyphs instead.
    Added.
    • If punctuation is now able to be checked, then superflous punctuation is not allowed (? !)
    Added.

• Center should be spelled centre.
    Added.
    • Chocolatey should be spelled chocolaty. (I think)
    The other way around for UK English. Added.
    • Vermillion should be spelled vermilion.
    Added.
    • Coffee does not exist in Achaea, refer to kawhe instead.
    Added.
    • 'Very berry' as a flavor is modern and anachronistic
    Similar issue to pumpkin-spice. Will investigate!

Great list! Keep them coming!
  • Yen said:
    It could flag materials that require approval of a specific Divine.  Mithril and bloodsteel come to mind.  Or if those things are customisation-only (they might be?), it could say that.
    This is already the case but we may have missed some in the process that we will hopefully sweep up as they arise!
  • Taryius said:

Anyway,
    Can someone give the reasoning for this? Because without context this would be.... incorrect?

effervescent:
    (of a liquid) giving off bubbles; fizzy.

• Chocolatey should be spelled chocolaty. (I think)

Is there going to be an easier way to correct NDS designs that have errors in them than individually TYPO-ing them, if they are things that have been addressed by the proofing system? Because I can say with absolute certainty that I have never had “chocolatey” approved in a design but I do have several instances of “chocolaty” as per the requirements of whomever reviewed my submissions.

• There are more runes than just the runelore runes. Like Aldar runes (though they are more for artefact customisations), so saying they should only use glyphs instead wouldn't be completely correct.

• edited January 2021

• "This" and "these" in Dropped descriptions: In my experience these words should be flagged yellow since it's total luck of the draw on which reviewer gets your submission whether you are allowed to use them. However, if those reviewers who have rejected my designs for use of "this" or "these" as opposed to "a/an" are correct, then they should definitely be flagged red so that the instances of one design being accepted and one being rejected, for the same thing, at the exact same time, can be reduced.

• Gossamer: This is currently flagged yellow, which is in line with the way that HELP CRAFTING GUIDELINES is laid out, which suggests that the word "gossamer" is non-existent only as a noun, and therefore permissible to use as an adjective. In practice, this is not true however (at least if you are named Stefana), so either the proofreading system and the guidelines file both need to be updated to reflect the real rule, or someone owes me an apology and a typo fix for this message in response to a series of re-submissions and self-issues trying to get a design with the adjective "gossamer" approved:
    2020/6/15/10:34 Greetings! Regarding issue #88056: Gossamer, as a general concept, is not permissible - it must always be spider-silk. Please don't hesitate to use ISSUE ME <your issue> if you have any further questions or concerns!
    • Foreign/regional terms & ingredients: I know there are lots of these and some are already caught by the system, but a friend was recently dinged for using real-life grape and wine varieties like Chardonnay, Shiraz, Pinot, Riesling, etc. and none of those are currently flagged when I put them onto a sketch.

• Chili should be "chilli".

• Grille should apparently be the much uglier and less specific "grill" despite the "French spelling or the affected modern spelling"  being present and listed as British English in Oxford's, Cambridge's, and Collins' online dictionaries.
    • Marshmallow is currently not flagged at all but my understanding is that its use has been outlawed.

• Chocolaty is now flagged red but I would still really like some kind of confirmation that everyone on the team is actually aware of that before I start submitting typos, because an admin reviewer was the one who rejected my design for using "chocolatey" so I don't want to wait weeks to have a bug looked at just to be told it's working as intended again because I get someone who hasn't received the update yet.
    • I know it would be pretty much impossible to catch all instances like this, but it might be a good idea to flag common misspellings of location names? The one that springs to mind is Inhbir for Inbhir Ness since I have seen people put the 'h' on the wrong side of the 'b' a lot and at least one of those times it slipped past the reviewer, so there might be other similar examples worth adding to make those easier to catch.

• Chai is a term that I know someone was recently told they could not use in a beverage design, which is currently not flagged by the system.

• Neither lasagna nor lasagne are flagged currently, but at least one of them should be, if not both.

• Appetizer should be "appetiser".

• Is there a way to flag if there is no full stop at the end of any of the descriptions besides Appearance since they all require one?

• Lays and laying should be flagged in Dropped since it has to be "lies" and "lying". 

That's all I can think of for now, but I will probably be back with more.

• edited January 2021
    Here is a list of cheeses I tried putting into sketches that are not flagged right now. Pretty sure only a couple of these are actually permissible and I would love to know which ones they are:
    • Asiago 
    • Brie 
    • Camembert 
    • Castellano 
    • Cheddar (this is the only one I feel pretty confident is actually allowed)
    • Colby 
    • Cotija 
    • Emmental 
    • Fontina 
    • Gorgonzola 
    • Gouda 
    • Grana Padano 
    • Gruyere
    • Halloumi 
    • Havarti 
    • Jack 
    • Manchego 
    • Mascarpone 
    • Mozzarella 
    • Munster
    • Parmesan 
    • Pecorino 
    • Reggiano 
    • Ricotta 
    • Stilton

• Similarly, species of fish, and other seafood.

Caviar versus fish roe, dashi versus dried bonito stock, fish-derived sauces like garum, and so on. 

Are the only fish permissible meant to be the ones you can actually fish for? Or is the variety matching that of the real world, so long as you're using the UK-standard names for those fish?

Also, on varieties of molluscs and shellfish, real-world adjacent, or are there some that cannot be procured in Achaea?

• Stefana said:
    Here is a list of cheeses I tried putting into sketches that are not flagged right now. Pretty sure only a couple of these are actually permissible and I would love to know which ones they are:
    • Asiago 
    • Brie 
    • Camembert 
    • Castellano 
    • Cheddar (this is the only one I feel pretty confident is actually allowed)
    • Colby 
    • Cotija 
    • Emmental 
    • Fontina 
    • Gorgonzola 
    • Gouda 
    • Grana Padano 
    • Gruyere
    • Halloumi 
    • Havarti 
    • Jack 
    • Manchego 
    • Mascarpone 
    • Mozzarella 
    • Munster
    • Parmesan 
    • Pecorino 
    • Reggiano 
    • Ricotta 
    • Stilton
    I'm pretty sure all of these, except maybe cheddar would or shouldn't be allowed. Probably should be added to PROOF.

Now, I'm not sure if this is still canon. But I've always used this article on the Achaea wiki for conversions. Might be helpful fot some, doesnt appear to be mainstream knowledge.

https://wiki.achaea.com/Talk:Ingredients
  • Thank you! I’ve never seen that before but have always wished for something like it. I am pretty sure that cheddar does exist in-game and I have heard of people having certain other cheese names allowed in designs but I am not sure which or whether that was on purpose or a mistake. Some other cheeses on there I didn’t mention that could be added to PROOF also.

• Going through that wiki, here are some more terms listed as inappropriate that are not flagged by the proofreading system as of now:
    • Pizza
    • Taco
    • Pancake
    • Waffle
    • Fondue
    • Gummy/Gummi
    • Jellybean
    • Baghaar
    • Brochette
    • Dum pukht
    • En/au
    • Papillote
    • Vessie
    • Flambe(e)
    • Hibachi
    • Robatayaki
    • Rotisserie
    • Saute(e)
    • Sous-vide
    • Tataki
    • Teriyaki
    • Ihnbir is another common misspelling of Inbhir
    • Anpan
    • Baguette
    • Boule
    • Brioche
    • Challah/Cholla
    • Crepe
    • Focaccia
    • French
    • Swiss
    • Kipferl
    • Pita
    • Pretzel
    • Texas
    • Tortilla
    • Zwieback
    • Agios Isidoros
    • Caboc 
    • Chevre 
    • Feta 
    • Herve 
    • Jarlsberg 
    • Kasseri 
    • Limburger 
    • Muenster 
    • Pimento/Pimiento 
    • Queso
    • Blanco 
    • Torta del Casar
    • Cannelloni 
    • Conchiglie/Conchiglioni 
    • Farfalle
    • Fettuccini 
    • Fiori 
    • Fusilli 
    • Gemelli
    • Gigli 
    • Gnocchi 
    • Linguine 
    • Macaroni 
    • Mafaldine 
    • Manicotti 
    • Pappardelle 
    • Penne 
    • Ravioli 
    • Rigatoni
    • Rotelle 
    • Rotini 
    • Spaghetti 
    • Tortellini/Tortelloni 
    • Vermicelli 
    • Ziti
    • Shiitake

• We've made another few dozen additions to this system over the last week or so. Over the weekend I'll aim to go through all of these submissions and start rolling those in as well. Thank you!
  • Hi @Ictinus.
    Stefana said:
    • Chocolatey should be spelled chocolaty. (I think)

Is there going to be an easier way to correct NDS designs that have errors in them than individually TYPO-ing them, if they are things that have been addressed by the proofing system? Because I can say with absolute certainty that I have never had “chocolatey” approved in a design but I do have several instances of “chocolaty” as per the requirements of whomever reviewed my submissions.

Stefana said:
    • Chocolaty is now flagged red but I would still really like some kind of confirmation that everyone on the team is actually aware of that before I start submitting typos, because an admin reviewer was the one who rejected my design for using "chocolatey" so I don't want to wait weeks to have a bug looked at just to be told it's working as intended again because I get someone who hasn't received the update yet.

This discussion has been closed.