Player agency in roleplay events

So first thing I would like to say is that I am enjoying the current event a lot. I love these type of globally driven RP events. 

After that, I'd like to say that I think things like the current narcolepsy should really be re-evaluated. For at least two months the wolf packs have been unkillable. This means that the people that are turning into wolves have 50% of their day they're spending spiritwalking, and because it's spiritwalk it drains their willpower, so even after they spend half a day incorporeal unable to interact with anyone or anything, they then have to spend another half of their day recovering their willpower. If they then get turned into a werewolf again, that's 2 full hours that someone was unable to interact with the game in any mechanical way, half of which they cannot even talk to people.

This is happening to people because they ate candy, including young characters who likely were given that candy by their citymates before it was known that this was even a possibility. There is no way to cure the lycanthropy, so there is zero player interaction with this curse which came from eating candy. Agency is always one of the most important things to think about when creating roleplay and this event has left zero ability for those who are narcoleptic to interact with their curse.

This seems to have hit Cala, an 18 year old, 9 times to my recollection. That's 4.5 hours of being able to speak and interact with nothing while spiritwalking, that's probably another 4 hours of willpower regen. 

There is no real avenue even existing in the game for someone to reach out about this, I'm sure whoever designed this didn't consider that spiritwalking completely isolated them, and fully drains willpower over time, and that the packs would be made so inordinately strong that the entire population of a city would be unable to kill one at this point. This could have been made much less punishing days ago but it seems like things like the GODS channel no longer exist. The only means to deal with this is an issue me, and I think issues have a month backlog. 

I do not like just criticizing things without suggesting fixes. First, establish clear guidelines for how to receive somewhat expediate support for these issues, Even when I was cursed, I was told twice that it was overtuned and bugged, and then fixed, but still not actually fixed. Those conversations never would have happened without me just breaking from how gamebreaking it was for me and ultimately posting on the forums. How should we get admin attention about these types of possible imbalances? 

Second, There is a lot of room in this event for actual interaction with the packs for those that turns. Even just applying the ability to influence your pack, TURN PACK when spiritwalking makes it pick a new target, PUSH makes it change room, simple things like this could make it fun for the person transformed, and might enable more enjoyment out of the event for everyone. Alternatively, give some type of way to avoid being turned for those who are narcoleptic aside from just not playing. As it stands right now, people have been forcing others to eat the candies because it's such an impactful thing if you get turned into the pack. If it was even as simple as you are indoors and can't see the moonlight you won't get turned. Some people will still want to become a pack, so the visions would still come, the event would be functionally identical to how it is now, but those who wish to avoid this would have the option. Or even maybe some way to cure narcolepsy like metacure but even this all-curing quest doesn't cure this affliction.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I know it's long but I also think it's ultimately important to consider in future events.

Comments

• edited October 2020
    I'm 99.99% sure you can not turn into a wolf in locations where violence is impossible. The leading example being the Grim Fayre itself. On the first day of the faye I waited by Bundy for 9 hours and never turned, despite being one of the first people to eat the candy. I could be wrong, but I assume that what's happening requires certain conditions to work. So anyone not interested in wolfing out could just visit the event before Dusk and then leave it.

• Isn't Vasher that guy that got cursed for a RL month for typing follow Astarod

• I've had a lot of fun with this.

Aside from the times where I get picked for WolfTime every 2 hours and don't get to play for 30 minutes.  Would definitely love if there was more interaction the Dreamers could have with stuff. 
  • Namino said:
    You know, everything else not-withstanding, if the trolls in your game consider participation in a plot so inconvenient that they incorporate deliberately involving people in it as part of their griefing routines, it's a pretty strong barometer something went wrong.
    Adrik said:
    I've had a lot of fun with this.

We know you did
  • It's a neat event idea, and I'm personally having a good bit of fun with it, but the execution could definitely use some refinement.

The biggest thing, IMO, is that these sorts of things really need to be opt-in. People eating the candy and randomly getting this affliction was interesting, sure, but losing control of your character for big chunks of time just sucks if you didn't want that. If it's going to happen to people who didn't sign up, make it curable so that they can opt-out. If you want to make it permanent until the event is over, don't give it to people who didn't sign up for it. That should be a pretty basic tenet of these sorts of events.