What have you designed today?

Comments

• edited June 2020
    Was like a week ago, not today, but... After some arguing with the customisation people...
    Rapier/shield next.

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.

• I had to get Firelord before I could customise with fire, so with all the love in the world I hope you had to also go through hell to get frost. <3 

Jumpy said:
    The membership is already such a good deal that there is no way we can reduce the cost. 

• Iaxus said:
    I had to get Firelord before I could customise with fire, so with all the love in the world I hope you had to also go through hell to get frost. <3 

Funnily enough, I'm Firelord. None of my arguing had to do with the frost part.

• I love how consistent and on point the customisations team is.

Jumpy said:
    The membership is already such a good deal that there is no way we can reduce the cost. 

• They rejected my gryphon skull headdress.... :(

But anyway, few designs I made for Jomi. I still want to do that headdress but, la dee da, crafting council said I can't have bones in my designs? Still figuring that out, might have to do a mask and a regular headdress. I also want to do something for his upper-half so he's not completely nude in the upper body, but I really don't know. 

• Can't have bones in designs, but bone is a commodity. Makes sense.

Jumpy said:

• Isn't bone the base for a bunch of jewellry schematics?
  • Tahquil said:
    Isn't bone the base for a bunch of jewellry schematics?
    I guess they are saying it’s allowed in jewellery but not tailoring. Similarly, I was recently told for a jewellery design that the use of real feathers was prohibited and they had to be imitation. Of course, many designs already exist that use real feathers (including some of my own) but most of those are tailoring, so maybe the few jewellery items that include them were approved by mistake.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Iaxus said:
    I had to get Firelord before I could customise with fire, so with all the love in the world I hope you had to also go through hell to get frost. <3 
    Really?

I customised a shield and a pendant and they both have fire. Well, not literal fire. Flame-infused though. Maybe that's the kicker? Seems weird.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited June 2020
    I am convinced they make up at least half the rejection reasons on the spot. I've been literally referred to scrolls as they quote rules that don't actually appear anywhere in said scrolls.

The idea that you cannot use bone in tailoring or real feathers is just dumb. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Bones were used in corsets and feathers are used in certain hats. Not sure why they wouldn't allow either of those things.

And given they seem to have allowed almost every other part of the bird/animal you were using, this seems silly, at best.
  • Vhaynna said:
    Iaxus said:
    Really?

I customised a shield and a pendant and they both have fire. Well, not literal fire. Flame-infused though. Maybe that's the kicker? Seems weird.
    Yep, I believe my original morningstars were described as "flaming" and customisations returned them twice more saying I couldn't use fire at all since I was a runie and "it's magical", along with a line something similar to "if you were a magi it might be possible". So since there's no chance I'm ever going magi, I just took fire lord about 10 levels earlier than I intended to. 

Jumpy said:

• Iaxus said:
    Vhaynna said:
    Iaxus said:
    Really?

Yep, I believe my original morningstars were described as "flaming" and customisations returned them twice more saying I couldn't use fire at all since I was a runie and "it's magical", along with a line something similar to "if you were a magi it might be possible". So since there's no chance I'm ever going magi, I just took fire lord about 10 levels earlier than I intended to. 

Are artefacts considered something you had a hand in making here..? I always thought they were like, special ancient treasures. Like finding a +1 longsword in an ancient tomb in DnD or something. 'I got some guy to make my sword always burn, which looks sweet except my pants catch on fire every time I try to put it in a sheath' seems perfectly reasonable as an explanation.
  • I’m still salty that I can’t use “forlorn” or “forgotten” in a dropped description. 

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Kog said:
    Iaxus said:
    Vhaynna said:
    Iaxus said:
    Really?

Are artefacts considered something you had a hand in making here..? I always thought they were like, special ancient treasures. Like finding a +1 longsword in an ancient tomb in DnD or something. 'I got some guy to make my sword always burn, which looks sweet except my pants catch on fire every time I try to put it in a sheath' seems perfectly reasonable as an explanation.
    From what I understand, anything not "normal" aka just metal for a sword, your character has to have some RP justification to it. For instance, @Atalkez has a bunch of his customised for honours mobs he's killed. I had to get firelord to have a morningstar made of igneous stone (side note they wouldn't let me use the word igneous because apparently that doesn't exist somehow, so I had to say volcanic rock which apparently does exist lol). I think I'm more miffed about all the older customisations though that could do practically whatever they wanted with no justification at all. There are people with rapiers made entirely of water or swords made of shadows just because it looks cool.

Jumpy said:

• Iaxus said:
    Kog said:
    Iaxus said:
    Vhaynna said:
    Iaxus said:
    Really?

From what I understand, anything not "normal" aka just metal for a sword, your character has to have some RP justification to it. For instance, @Atalkez has a bunch of his customised for honours mobs he's killed. I had to get firelord to have a morningstar made of igneous stone (side note they wouldn't let me use the word igneous because apparently that doesn't exist somehow, so I had to say volcanic rock which apparently does exist lol). I think I'm more miffed about all the older customisations though that could do practically whatever they wanted with no justification at all. There are people with rapiers made entirely of water or swords made of shadows just because it looks cool.

"I paid 50 customization credits, that's how I got this sword made entirely of tree bark."

I guess that kinda makes sense, wanting a justification, but also the older stuff that breaks the new rules then just becomes that much more jarring.
  • edited June 2020
    Iaxus said:
    From what I understand, anything not "normal" aka just metal for a sword, your character has to have some RP justification to it.
    This is BS, lol. Just keep submitting it until you get an approver who isn't anal.

Provided it's not something idiotic like a rapier of living water.

• edited June 2020
    Vhaynna said:
    Bones were used in corsets and feathers are used in certain hats. Not sure why they wouldn't allow either of those things.

And given they seem to have allowed almost every other part of the bird/animal you were using, this seems silly, at best.

Agreed.

Tru has always worn a blouse made of bones (bone beads laced along leather cord), and used to wear a feathered headdress. Heck, my go-to formal wear is a flared gown of sleek crow feathers. 

If it's true that you can't design tailoring and jewelry stuff and/or customise arties made of bone and feather anymore...I'll be designing a lot less personal items, that's for sure. Bone is my go-to!

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Finally done with my sentinel spear and axe. Since my 2h sword hearkens back to when shirsz was scarlattan and a blademaster sword is non-customisable outside of auctions, I decided my spear and axe would show more recent loyalties. Hence War themed spear and Water themed axe. I really like how they ended up.

Summerwrath, a crystal-bladed ivory axe

An embellished ivory axe lies here, its crystalline blade glimmering. 

Created in manifest celebration of the Tides and those who guard them, this weapon exhibits the decadent style of the Court of the Mad. A long piece of scrimshawed ivory serves as the handle of the elaborate axe, its sinuous length adorned with oceanic motifs veined in aquamarine and the vibrant reds and yellows of scattered coral cabochons. The mermaid likeness of the Cetus Chamiloia perches upon the very top of the broadening haft, her finned tail curled in a downward spiral around the handle. Her voluptuous and naked figure holds court over greater elementals of water and many exotic piscine creatures, all carved in exacting detail. Cast with a baleful expression, the guardian glares intently to her side, a dreadful smile beached across her lips. Beneath her gaze stretches a crystalline axehead, emerging with a downward tilt at the level of her shoulder, her outstretched arm encased within the shimmering turquoise surface in a gesture of clawed menace and command. The blade is etched with the whorls and eddies of torrential waves, and presents a subtle crescent to its broad edge, ending on a wicked point and a sharply, inward- curving side.

A long-bladed cross spear of black steel

An ornate black spear lies here, the red ribbon around the haft fluttering idly.

This matt black spear is a singular piece of steel spanning well over five feet. Blood-red leathers have been wound about much of the slim haft, ensuring a comfortable grip. Near the apex, the relief of a proud hawk smoothly transitions into a broad spearhead, the stately outstretched wings of the former framing an elaborate cross-guard for the latter. Fashioned in the style of a war blade, the elongated spearhead possesses a keen double-edge and very gradually tapers to an elegant point. The ornate engraving of the mailed fist of Aegis embellishes it, the Divine emblem inlaid with silver and gold. Beyond, crackling glyphs spread across the narrow fuller, each one possessed of a smouldering red glow. Tied beneath the cross-guard, a fluttering ribbon of red silk declares the wielder's allegiance in a scrawl of aureate Aegean sigils, while a gleaming iron wyvern adorns the butt of the weapon, its atramentous scales coiled around a large, round ruby.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• edited October 2020
    "Lots of people name their swords..."
    inb4 "it is axe not sword hurr"

eta: I do love how they insist on using British spellngs, but will yell at you if you use 'matte' even though it's correct.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Finally customised my artie sword after having it for a couple of years:

A runic bastard sword flies free from a kabbalist's baldric as you swiftly draw it.
    In response to the motion, the Sephirot Netzach glows with a strange ruby gleam.

Hardened steel has been masterfully hammered into a long thick blade about a
    hand's width wide that tappers to a sharp point. Bearing a dark unpolished 
    ripple along the surface, the finely sharpened edges gleaming brightly in 
    contrast to the rest of the blade. A shallow fuller runs nearly the length of 
    the blade, a set of twenty-nine runes meticulously carved into the metal and 
    filled with polished cinnabar. Comprised of antique brass, the guard has been 
    skilfully fashioned into the semblance of a mighty tree, its branches wrapping 
    securely around the base of the blade and sweeping out to each side. Dark sanded 
    wood make up the extended hilt, a sturdy ring of brass set in the middle to 
    offer a secure grip one or both hands. Antiquated brass forms the pommel, 
    carefully shaped into the trunk of a tree, the roots of which wrap securely 
    around a small orb of desert glass, within which swirl languidly fine sand and 
    red dust.

Glowing with magical runes, this mystical runeblade has been empowered with the
    powers of the earth.
    It weighs about 10 pounds.
    It bears the distinctive mark of Kresslack.

• Kresslack said:

A runic bastard sword flies free from a kabbalist's baldric as you swiftly draw it.
    In response to the motion, the Sephirot Netzach glows with a strange ruby gleam.

securely around the base of the blade and sweeping out to each side. Dark sanded 
    red dust.

powers of the earth.
    Nice, I like this design! You do have a couple typos I'd ISSUE ME to get fixed. 

Tapers not tappers in the first sentence.

The second sentence reads weirdly, I think you want to use gleam instead of gleaming.

In the second to last sentence it looks like you're a missing a 'for'. "a sturdy ring of brass set in the middle to offer a secure grip for one or both hands"?
    Taryius said:

The second sentence reads weirdly, I think you want to use gleam instead of gleaming.

In the second to last sentence it looks like you're a missing a 'for'. "a sturdy ring of brass set in the middle to offer a secure grip for one or both hands"?
    Ah, thanks for pointing those out! Gonna see about having them corrected now.

• Taryius said:
    Kresslack said:

red dust.

powers of the earth.

not

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

• 12 hours and nobody pointed out 'has been' - Impressive.

Saonji said:
    12 hours and nobody pointed out 'has been' - Impressive.
    What is wrong with 'has been'?

• It’s not “wrong” but it’s an instance of helping verbs which are passive and generally don’t add anything more to the description than the active verb that they are modifying would on its own. In this case “has” is helping “been” which is helping “hammered” and the sentence could be reworded to avoid that phrasing which would make it stronger. It’s not incorrect though, and most people agree that sparing use of helping verbs is fine, just like modifiers like “almost” and “very”.

Stefana said:
    It’s not “wrong” but it’s an instance of helping verbs which are passive and generally don’t add anything more to the description than the active verb that they are modifying would on its own. In this case “has” is helping “been” which is helping “hammered” and the sentence could be reworded to avoid that phrasing which would make it stronger. It’s not incorrect though, and most people agree that sparing use of helping verbs is fine, just like modifiers like “almost” and “very”.
    Ah, ok. Is there something that would sound better in place of? I'm open to suggestions.

• Active versus passive, so 'has been' can be 'is' and things like that.

Hardened steel has been masterfully hammered into a long thick blade about a hand's width wide that tappers to a sharp point.

Hardened steel makes up the body of this thick blade, about a hand's width wide, masterfully hammered to taper into a long sharp point.

Something like that.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.