Haidar's Tournament

Comments

• I did actually visualize how a cool cast of this might actually work. I'm not going to participate but I'm probably able to commentate the actual mechanics and what is going on, and having a third party commentate would probably be ideal so the competitors can focus. The issues I'm seeing are A) If it's just people streaming on twitch, you're only commentating one person's POV rather than a usual cast which jumps between competitors wherever the action is and B) the variation in GUIs and the way people present information to themselves might be very difficult for a third party to accurately follow what's happening.

It's a cool idea but I don't think Achaea has the tools for this sort of thing. Maybe if a God wanted to cast they can see +/- affs on screen for all people in room or something and can rapidly jump around invis'd to where people are fighting, I don't know what the game looks like from their angle.
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    A stream of achaea would be boring as fuck lmao
  • Archaeon said:
    Brah
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Archaeon said:
    I think thr commentators ability would make it or break it, yeah. If it's just text scrolling at sub light speed then yeeeah, probably not worth it. 

What would be cool is if the Divine gave someone interested in doing this the tools to do so for the duration of the event. Obviously it would have to be someone not participating. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Fuck around and bring back arena watching....   watch the game crash and the server melt for bonus points

• Arena watch has been back for years.

• I expect that the real trouble in commentating is that we still don't know exactly how this game is going to be played. Will cities team up? Will there be parties? Will it just be people jumping each other up and down the game world? Traditionally, the role of the commentator is to craft a cohesive narrative out of a chaotic game, and that's going to be a -big- challenge, particularly with few visual tools.

Props to anyone who tries!
  • Oh. When I commented, I meant more of a "Paladin Bob is streaming his screen and commenting as he fights people, pointing out what's he's doing and what his opponent is trying to set up."

A tournament stream with multiple PoVs sounds like a ton of extra work that's probably not in the cards. Would tune in if that's what ends up happening, just not expecting it. I meant more of a "if anybody streams their PoV I'll probably watch for 20-30 min out of curiosity for how high end PvP looks" 
  • Tiago said:
    I'll probably watch for 20-30 min out of curiosity for how high end PvP looks
    Like everyone else's, but ~fast~.

Jumpy said:
    The membership is already such a good deal that there is no way we can reduce the cost. 

• "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

• Does anybody in the US know when exactly this is? Don't see it on UPCOMING
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    We just need @Batista and @Mathonwy to live stream commentate the entire event.

• Kresslack said:

Worth the credits to watch. LESS TALK, MORE SLOBBERKNOCKER!!

• edited September 2020
    Kresslack said:
    Be careful what you wish for.
  • BAH GAWD MATHONWAR HE DAMN NEAR TOOK HIS HEAD CLEAN OFF.

THAT MAN HAS A FAMILY.

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.

• Anybody know what happens if you miss the start of the event? I assume you start losing lives as you would in a journal, etc. Here is to waking up at 5:45 AM for a tournament... 
  • Fun idea, but a shame I forgot how gravehands work when you're not technically a citizen of Mhaldor, and man that messed me up. I dunno if other room hinders had that same effect since they mentioned you're not enemying yourself anymore, but that doesn't fix hands. I should've gone another class. Oh well.
  • That was definitely fun and new. Truly enjoyed it.
  • Turned out way better than I expected, technical issues and all. Props to everyone for being normal opportunistic vultures and not coordinated opportunistic vultures.
  • I would love to see this happen again, in an arena filled with progs, battle bots style. Chase the Fire Lord into the magma field only for them to TURN STALAGMITE and set off a holocaust-style effect. It'd help with some of the stuff that looked more annoying, like wormholes, wings, housing, etc.
  • Allow Elementals in the next one. I want to the only poor soul going as Fire.
    Yeah it was really enjoyable and definitely turned out to be more interesting than I had anticipated at first.

I'll miss Free Dolphin though. v.v 

• Shirszae said:
    Yeah it was really enjoyable and definitely turned out to be more interesting than I had anticipated at first.

I'll miss Free Dolphin though. v.v 
    Someone with Photoshop give her avatar the Lisa Frank treatment.
    Gallida said:
    Allow Elementals in the next one. I want to the only poor soul going as Fire.
    Allow all elementals but airlords. Kthzbye

• edited September 2020
    So now that it's almost over (edit: I ended up posting this shortly after it finished), I do want to say this was extremely fun. Huge shoutout to @Atalkez for being willing to stream it on the Achaean discord and put himself at a disadvantage. Couple things to make it more fun should it happen in the future, most of which were mentioned in that stream.
    Create an arena, even if a faux arena like the final showdown was, from the start. There was some serious abuse of teleporting across the world to avoid people, or hiding in nearly unfindable locations on Meropis, that allowed some people to last much longer than they normally would have. 
    Lay out all the rules beforehand. Wings were allowed, but it wasn't mentioned until during the prep phase (so after some people had bought wings) that you couldn't stay on the clouds for long. Phase wasn't mentioned until I asked during prep phase, though to be fair that one was hinted at in the announce saying hiding would be unsuccessful. I'm sure there's more other people will chime in on. 
    The event was a little too long. 6 hours (really 7 if you include prep) made it partially a contest of stamina, rather than skill, which I'm not sure was the intention.
    Pros: credit limit was tight, but manageable. Most of the event was successfully uncoordinated, with perhaps a couple outliers becoming more clear nearer to the end. Decent class spread, as mentioned elsewhere.

Overall, this was incredibly fun. I really hope this becomes something that can happen a little more often, unlike other PK events that happen once every 2 RL years. Well done to all the participants, and the admin especially on fixing things quickly and keeping everything moving. 

Jumpy said:
    The membership is already such a good deal that there is no way we can reduce the cost. 

• Post the kill counts!
  • I was having trouble with psions where I felt like I wasn't curing at all, and then realized once I was eliminated by one that I probably failed to activate curing focus.
  • I'll echo Iaxus, big shoutout to @Atalkez  for streaming. Was really fun.

Thanks to admin for organising this.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."