Haidar's Tournament

ANNOUNCE NEWS #5258                                        (09/14/2020 at 18:35)  
From   : Nicola
To     : Everyone
Subject: Haidar's Tournament
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To follow up on Haidar's slightly terrifying contest announcement we have some clarification!

This will be a 6 hour PK contest held on September 26th, it begins at midday GMT (see UPCOMING.)

The winner will earn 2000 bound credits, a unique honours line, and a special challenger's horn.

All participants will earn an honours line.

Contenders will become a Kashari character in the class of their choice, this will be by command at the start of the contest - see UPCOMING

Contenders will be level 80 with most general skills transcendent, and their class skills transcendent.

Contenders will have 5000 bound credits with which to buy artefacts.

Contenders will have a full complement of vials and curatives, selling/trading these is not permitted.

Contenders will have a gold amount at the start and begin in a starting shop. Sharing gold/items from this location is not permitted with other contenders or the general public.

As each contender enters the contest they will have an hour of grace for setup time.
   This time can be used to setup curing/systems.
   Purchase artefacts and supplies
   This grace can be renounced early, it cannot be extended.

Each participant will have three lives, and no starburst effects accessible.

Die three times and you are out of the contest.

Disconnection or journalling or hiding in any similar fashion for 30 minutes or more will result in a loss of a life.
   Do so for an hour and you lose two lives.

Lives can be replenished by removing other contenders from the contest (killing off their final life), this remains capped at three.

Contenders will not earn or lose experience.

Kills will be tracked in case of multiples still alive at the end of the contest. If more than one contender is alive at the end there will be a single area deathmatch to determine the winner.

All other contenders will be considered an enemy, allies will not be available.

Contenders will be able to pinpoint the location of other contenders at all times.

Immolation in the Yggdrasil flame will not be possible, recovery from death is by embrace only.

Do not accept assistance from outsiders.

Do not intentionally attack outsiders.

The following are entirely offlimits:
   Refuge areas (isolation, nirvana, etc. Chaos plane is permitted for pacting.)
   Ships.
   Cities and non-public organisation property.

Signup with Haidar ahead of time to secure your place.
        say I wish to earn my name as a member of the class <classname>
    Give Haidar the 100,000 when prompted.

Once you have signed up you cannot change your class choice. Choose wisely.

TO THE REST OF THE WORLD.

If you are not participating in this contest officially        DO NOT INTERFERE. You will be shrubbed for at least the duration of the contest if you do and may affect the competition for the contender you are attempting to help.

Outsiders should avoid contender fighting. If you are unlucky enough to die from contender fighting you have no recourse, you cannot hire and you cannot issue. Let it go. If you do not wish to die to a room attack, stay away from places where contenders are fighting.

Penned by My hand on the 4th of Valnuary, in the year 839 AF.

============

H Y P E

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Comments

• They should host one of these without artefacts as well so we can see how the classes perform organically in competent hands.

• Arties are fine, keeping the escrow at this level opens up a bunch of interesting strategies.

Buuuuuuut from the looks of the announcement, there's no way to discourage OOC coordination, so thanks in advance for the really really cool idea in theory and the honors line.
  • Paux said:
    They should host one of these without artefacts as well so we can see how the classes perform organically in competent hands.

I think the biggest issue with having an artefact-less tournament is that a lot of people who are heavily into PK already have systems built at their artie level. I know for me personally, rebuilding a few of my classes in my system without artefacts would take me a lot longer than the 1 hour prep time we're allotted since I'm a slow coder, so I would then be forced to go in as something simpler and limit my class options.
    As an example, there can be a substantial difference with different break points at different artefact levels, or on equilibrium-based kill strats with and without a Diadem.

Also re: coordination, I haven't heard of any plans to group up for this, and I won't be doing any sort of coordination. It sounds from the news post like we're all going to be playing randomly generated characters, and I'd rather not know who people are (or people know who I am) for a better thrill of the fight.

Jumpy said:
    The membership is already such a good deal that there is no way we can reduce the cost. 

• Iaxus said:
    Paux said:
    They should host one of these without artefacts as well so we can see how the classes perform organically in competent hands.

Also re: coordination, I haven't heard of any plans to group up for this, and I won't be doing any sort of coordination. It sounds from the news post like we're all going to be playing randomly generated characters, and I'd rather not know who people are (or people know who I am) for a better thrill of the fight.
    Same. I just wish the option wasn't there to begin with.
  • I fully expect grouping and think you should prepare for it.
  • There isn't a rule against grouping up. It is going to be a gigantic, teaming gank fest. Good luck!

• I have this whole day off... *Drool*
  • As a public service announcement, you can afford five sets of earrings with a lyre on this budget and Jester doesn't need anything else to ruin someone's day.
  • The credit prize is kinda ridiculous. It's a shame they emphasized the 'no allies' part, yet will unlikely do anything about groups that are obviously coordinating in Discord.

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.

• I don't see anything in the post that says you can't work with other contenders- just that they will all be on your enemy list.

I am curious if they will be blocking in-game communication to prevent it, or just letting it happen. Or having some other deterrent announced after it starts.

• edited September 2020
    I expect to be slaughtered like a dog either way, I'm just here for the Honours Line and some good fun!

Edit: Ill be hugging my totem tightly, come get some!
  • Saonji said:
    The credit prize is kinda ridiculous. It's a shame they emphasized the 'no allies' part, yet will unlikely do anything about groups that are obviously coordinating in Discord.
    Yep.

They should make a separate plane with a bunch of separate arenas. Every five minutes, people are thrown into a fight until one person is left. Outside coordination becomes "Hey, let me give you a win to keep you in the fight".

This is going to be an absolute clusterfuck instead of a fun bunch of duels, so I'm going to buy my honours line and call it a day.
  • Cooper said:
    I don't see anything in the post that says you can't work with other contenders- just that they will all be on your enemy list.

I am curious if they will be blocking in-game communication to prevent it, or just letting it happen. Or having some other deterrent announced after it starts.
    You can't feasibly do this without blocking all communication, including emotes.

"All right @FIGHTDUDES, glower at your opponent, if they point southeast, fistbump, if they fistbump back and smirk, they're cool".
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    I think you're all a bit too jaded. Most people I know are looking forward to pking people in their own faction
  • Archaeon said:
    I think you're all a bit too jaded. Most people I know are looking forward to pking people in their own faction
    You just get a reason to PK Astarod and not get yelled at. We understand.
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Lol ok
  • Will pay someone skilled to stream their feed. Pls.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

• I will stream if I can figure out how to delay Discord so people don't metagame me.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • edited September 2020
    Atalkez said:
    I will stream if I can figure out how to delay Discord so people don't metagame me.
    That's a great idea. We can even do grid view so people can switch views, as long as we all have a similar delay. If not, I will stream it on Twitch.
  • Verdell said:
    Atalkez said:
    I will stream if I can figure out how to delay Discord so people don't metagame me.
    That's a great idea. We can even do grid view so people can switch views, as long as we all have a similar delay. If not, I will stream it on Twitch.
    Also have twitch, so may do that if I can't get Discord to work right. Will look into it with CoD.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Draekar said:
    Tempted to join, play a class I have nfc about (which is most of them, lol) and just buy fun artefacts.

I will not be streaming though, that would be embarrassing just watching me constantly scrolling through the Ab files and trying to work out skills while being jumped and killed.
    I gave up on trying to win. I'm rolling DW, buying all the artefacts (mostly) that I have now. Will see how i do. 
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • The easiest way to coordinate is literally just say to your friends to meet at X room at Y area once the games start.

I think the people who don't believers there will be teaming will be quite surprised when it's easy to coordinate.

Monk is gonna love that everyone is enemied on top of it all. 

Regardless, looks like some organized chaos will be fun.
  • I've opted out for roleplay reasons, but I'm all for Anarchaea. Finding really intelligent, creative ways to grief out people seems to be mostly a thing of the past, and the few people who are able to pull off new things people have never seen before seems to be largely frowned upon now. I think this is a great opportunity to re-live what Achaean combat used to feel like, and I personally really look forward to seeing the treachery and some potential wow factors. The event will only last for a few hours and everything should return back to normal afterward. I'm really excited to see how this event plays itself out, and what kind of interesting purchase options people decide to go with.

An honours line for essentially half a day's worth of hunting gold...win. 
    Being apart of history...win.
    People openly willing to share their point of view during the event through streaming...win.

This will have people talking for at least a couple of days and I think that's a great thing.
  • PainePaine Prime Material
    edited September 2020
    Am I the only one who thought of this?

The first paintball war - community 

https://youtu.be/XcOG5iZpV-k

• edited September 2020
    Personally I'd kind of embrace the fact it isn't honourable 1v1 combat (does that actually exist?)

Maybe if enough people ask they will do one of those next time or you can join the twins or Lord Adryn can have another tournament or whatnot.

Its a world wide RPish free for all with a few fun aspects. I think it will be terrible and fun and ridicules and stupid and exciting. But you know, good luck to everyone who enters, I hope most of you get to enjoy it.

I'll be the guy who sets the record for being knocked out first! (I am not sure I can actually join due to work, but lets all just pretend whoever this happens to is me)
  • Will watch stream if there is a caster explaining wtf is going on.
  • A stream of this would be super fun and I definitely would tune in as well. Looking forward to it.