You know how in Nexus when you type HELP <whatever> it pulls up a new window? How to do that in mudl

Pretty much as the title states. I am trying to get mudlet to capture the info in the help file and then display it in a separate window like on nexus. Anyone have an idea on how to do this?

Comments

• Naps said:
    Pretty much as the title states. I am trying to get mudlet to capture the info in the help file and then display it in a separate window like on nexus. Anyone have an idea on how to do this?

You'd need to have it in a capture box, and the specifics might be a little finnicky- basically you'd create a new window (https://wiki.mudlet.org/w/Manual:UI_Functions#openUserWindow) and then send the output to that window (either via echo() or copy()/paste()).
  • awesome thanks for the reply I will take a look at it! if anyone else has any ideas I am still open to them. It doesn't happen to be a gmcp thing would it?
  • the nexus client sequentially processes text and gmcp messages as they come in, so they have 'start' and 'stop' tags for help files to help determine what should go into the window. Mudlet on the other hand processes all gmcp messages first, then game text second. So in mudlet you get the start message, then the stop message, then finally the help text. So I don't think gmcp would help in this case unfortunately.

I think there is a script somewhere that captures city help files and saves them to a text file...I'm sure the concept is similar just display to a userwindow instead of save to a file.
  • Will it help to browse help scroll separately in html window? Almost the same, unless you have a browser blocked.
    https://www.achaea.com/game-help/
  • I actually used to have a thing like this.

Could display inventory contents, as well as help files. I need to find out what I did with the code. :expressionless:

I used to use the in-game ECHO <stuff> function to act as a 'start capture' point. If there was a 'more' it would send more, otherwise it would stop capturing on the prompt line, and output everything in between into that window.

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.

• Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.

• OMG I LOVE YOU! THANKS!
  • Saonji said:
    I am wondering if there is a way to adjust the aliases and triggers to work for the other help types ie HHELP CHELP etc. I have taken a look at the info and to my limited knowledge I am missing something. I was able to adjust it to actually perform the HHELP command when I put in the new alias, but it is not capturing and putting it into the window.
  • Naps said:
    Saonji said:
    I am wondering if there is a way to adjust the aliases and triggers to work for the other help types ie HHELP CHELP etc. I have taken a look at the info and to my limited knowledge I am missing something. I was able to adjust it to actually perform the HHELP command when I put in the new alias, but it is not capturing and putting it into the window.
    this is what I have:

pattern: ^(.*)nhelp (.*)$

local sep = "|"
    local help = matches[3]
    nhelp_pageLength = 60
    send("config pagelength 250"..sep.."echo Help for: "..help..sep..matches[2].."help "..help)