InkMilling Script for Nexus!

Hey everyone!

I finished my first "big" Nexus coding project tonight, and wanted to share it with the world.  It's an Ink Milling script.  Here's what it does:

• Guided setup for user preferences for colors and reagent priority for Red/Blue reagents.
  • Support for both Artifact Mill and Non-Artifact Mill users.
  • Has a batch milling to run multiple batches of the same ink with a single command.
  • Counts reagents and tells you how many of each ink you could make with what you've got.
  • Tracks your inkmilling reagents as you use them.

Next thing I'd like to do is expand the color options and clean that up a bit - so I'm open to any color suggestions for it.

I've done my best debugging it, but I'm sure there's lots of room for improvement!  Feel free to hit me up in game if you have any questions or feedback!

https://github.com/AliandorAchaea/NexusInkMilling

Thanks in advance, hope you enjoy!  If you do, and want to toss a coin to your Witcher - I won't say no!

Comments

• If you're looking to add extra features in the future, a useful one that I have in my own tradeskill stuff (for Mudlet) is a "tomake" alias, which is essentially the opposite of this:

Counts reagents and tells you how many of each ink you could make with what you've got.

You tell it what you want to make (e.g. tomake 500 redink), it works out what you need, compares that to what you already have, and then tells you what you still need to get in order to do so.
  • I dig it. I'll put that on my list
  • @Antonius

Thanks for the suggestion!  I've added that into v1.1 and updated the repo.

tl;dr - All of this is practice for my upcoming Affliction Tracker for Nexus that I've been working on.  Basically trying to create one of the major things available in Mudlet and include it in Nexus.

It's about 90% done, but I want to use feedback from this to tweak some of the ways in which I'm approaching it - and also be more well versed in versioning and GitHub.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Will definitely check this out, as the one I have currently is very old and basic, miscalculates stuff sometimes, and is pretty spammy.

• @Kresslack

Awesome!  I look forward to your feedback on it.  Spam is one thing I'd like to be a little better about, but I wanted it functioning first before I started hiding stuff.
  • You may or may not want to have the separator flexible as not everyone uses ";" as theirs.

Could you add "black" as a background option?

Neat script!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

• @Tysandr you're 100% right about the separator I hadn't thought of that. I'll ponder that!

It's possible to manually change the colors by altering the mfgcolor and mfgcolor variables. My next plan was too provide a full list of all possible colors and let people choose. 
  • I'm curious @Tysandr and @Kresslack when you get to use it:

How do you feel about it showing you the counts after it's done milling?  Useful?  Noise?

• I'll have an update to this over the next day or two.  It should:

• Remove reliance on command separators entirely
    • Added gagging to make the milling process less spammy
    • Add a wider selection of colors for FG and BG
    It'll be a new version entirely, so it'll need a fresh install of the base package.
  • Warning: I think this morning's changes broke the 1-5(10) milling alias'  I'll have it fixed in the next version. 
    No worries. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, so I'll just wait for the next version.

• I don't actually ink mill but I might have to now! :smile:
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

• Version 2 is live on GitHub.  Added gagging, removed command separator use, and a full compliment of color selections.  Also added an "Oops" trigger for if it something goes wrong.

I think this has everything I wanted it to have and more.  It'll probably stay just like this until I get some more feedback.

edited August 2020
    @Aliandor I got a chance to try this out, and it's really well done. Very easy to set up, I especially like the ability to customise the colour of the feedback messages, and it's not at all spammy. I was really glad to see that it gives an option to tell you how many inks you can make of any given colour, based on your current regeant count. Really well done.

The only other things I think I would really like to see is the ability to use the mill command for the total number of inks you want to mill, and have it run that loop (with a pause option, preferably) that updates with how many inks you've milled until it completes, and gives you the total.

That, and a port version to Mudlet as that's the main client I use.

Otherwise, this is a really great and really well put together. Thank you for sharing! I will actually keep using this on Nexus and just switching over for when I need to mill bulk inks.

• edited August 2020
    @Kresslack

It does have a repeat option 'rgreenmill 50' would repeat until you've done 5x10 (or 10x5 if you have the Artifact mill)

It doesn't account for extra inks you get - so it quite literally just mills that many batches.  It does however work with remainders - so if you wanted to mill 52 for whatever reason, it would do 5x10 and then a batch of 2.

It has a notice in to tell you how many batches are left in the 'r<color>mill' process - and a stop ('rstop' I think) button, but not a pause. 

That's a neat idea!

---

As far as the batch milling - do you care more about getting closer to the desired total, or using "50 inks worth" of reagents?
    @Aliandor for me it would be closer to the desired total, as I switch between inks when doing large batches based on what reagents I have left, and how much rift space I have, so as to minimize any overflow that I'll have to store somewhere else.

• @Kresslack

So something in the realm of:

You'd like to finish with ~ 500 of each - red, yellow, purple.  You input it, start, and it mills red to ~500, then yellow to ~500, then purple to ~500?  All three without any further input (unless you pause/stop it)?
  • As far as porting it to Mudlet - that's a maybe some day, I'd have to learn to lua - which I theoretically could do, but it would take away time from other projects.
    Aliandor said:
    @Kresslack

So something in the realm of:

You'd like to finish with ~ 500 of each - red, yellow, purple.  You input it, start, and it mills red to ~500, then yellow to ~500, then purple to ~500?  All three without any further input (unless you pause/stop it)?
    That would actually be incredibly useful, yeah.

• @Kresslack

That lines up with another idea I was working towards - so yeah, not too bad to do.  I'll chip away at it and update when it's done!