Quests - worth while?

Hey everyone, in know that there was a quest overhaul a little while ago but i still haven't found any quests that end up being really worth while. So I'm curious: without giving any details, what has been the coolest or best reward you've seen from questing? 

Elemental lord forms excepting.

Comments

• You made the only quests worth doing excepted.

Jumpy said:
    The membership is already such a good deal that there is no way we can reduce the cost. 

• If you ever find a quest that is actually worth doing then make sure you don't do it. If it is worth doing then it is bugged and by doing it you will be shrubbed. Avoid quests like the plague.
  • Apsethus said:
    Hey everyone, in know that there was a quest overhaul a little while ago but i still haven't found any quests that end up being really worth while. So I'm curious: without giving any details, what has been the coolest or best reward you've seen from questing? 

Elemental lord forms excepting.
    By far when I got enemied to Targossas for doing the Maim quest. Best reward ever.
  • I can speak Tsol'dasi. I've been informed there's more to that quest, but who cares?
  • Depends what you mean by worth doing. A quest that gives no xp and 100 gold could be worth doing if you enjoy working out the puzzles. Some give honors lines, some give languages, some give gold.

There are a ton of quests worth doing in Achaea

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • edited July 2020
    It is likely difficult to discuss which quests are worth doing on the forum without revealing too much about them. I've found that the most interesting quests are often rather obscure and take time to discover, or may not show up as an actual quest in your log at all. In opposite fashion to helping Maim for instance, there is in fact an alternative that I think would be considered the "anti-Maim" quest but it's not actually a quest that has any honours line or gets added to your quest log. Those are the quests that I personally enjoy the most because they have an actual impact on certain things.
  • edited July 2020
    The "anti-Maim" honours, is killing her. Have fun with that.

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.

• Kaios said:
    It is likely difficult to discuss which quests are worth doing on the forum without revealing too much about them. I've found that the most interesting quests are often rather obscure and take time to discover, or may not show up as an actual quest in your log at all. In opposite fashion to helping Maim for instance, there is in fact an alternative that I think would be considered the "anti-Maim" quest but it's not actually a quest that has any honours line or gets added to your quest log. Those are the quests that I personally enjoy the most because they have an actual impact on certain things.
    Killing Maim definitely has an honours line. You just can't have both the killing and the helping her anymore.

Even failing to help her, on purpose or otherwise, gets you enemied to Targossas too.

I also don't care that I'm enemied to Targossas, just thought it was stupid to enemy for a quest. But since I'm banned from Targossas anyway (ha) who cares.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Why is it stupid? You are actively doing something that is anathema to Targossas. The only difference between it and some random Chaos ritual is visibility.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • If I remember correctly it's a pretty paltry fine too. Just wait a year or two and then pay them whatever handful of gold to get unenemied if it's important.

Jumpy said:
    The membership is already such a good deal that there is no way we can reduce the cost. 

• Jonathin said:
    Why is it stupid? You are actively doing something that is anathema to Targossas. The only difference between it and some random Chaos ritual is visibility.
    It's a quest. It has no real, actual impact on anything. Much like every other quest in the game. If it negatively impacted Targossas in some way, then I'd likely not see it as stupid but meh. 

Am curious is Ashtan enemies for killing Maim though.

@Iaxus Not bothered. Would have raided them and been enemied eventually anyway.
  • edited July 2020
    Vhaynna said:
    Ashtan enemies (or they used to at least) people for hunting Therans, so yes.

• Vhaynna said:

Killing Maim definitely has an honours line. You just can't have both the killing and the helping her anymore.

Even failing to help her, on purpose or otherwise, gets you enemied to Targossas too.

I also don't care that I'm enemied to Targossas, just thought it was stupid to enemy for a quest. But since I'm banned from Targossas anyway (ha) who cares.

I was not referring to killing Maim at all, only Saonji mentioned that and it had nothing to do with the quest I'm talking about.
  • The quest Kaios is talking about is amazingly obscure. I'm not even sure how someone is supposed to discover it in the modern era.
  • edited July 2020
    Armali said:
    The quest Kaios is talking about is amazingly obscure. I'm not even sure how someone is supposed to discover it in the modern era.

Get someone that knows about it to show you of course! Seriously though I don't know how other than that either, that's how I even know about it at all.
  • I should amend that to, 'discover it ICly on your own in the modern era'.
  • Sobriquet said:
    Vhaynna said:
    Jonathin said:
    It's a quest. It has no real, actual impact on anything. Much like every other quest in the game. If it negatively impacted Targossas in some way, then I'd likely not see it as stupid but meh. 

@Iaxus Not bothered. Would have raided them and been enemied eventually anyway.
    To say "Its just a quest"  and has no real impact is treating purely it as an ooc mechanism to gain an honours in. Role play, history, lore, alignments and the like are deeply entrenched within Achaea now and Targ enemying you for it makes 100% sense. The fact you think otherwise shows you're not really thinking about these elements. 

Ashtan (still?) used to enemy for hunting Petra and Thera. Mhaldor do it with Enverren, Targ with Jaru. Why is a quest to help Maim any different thematically? 

We are constantly told that actions have consequences and that they aren't always what you expect or want them to be. (I should know after my little hissy fit at Ashtan lol). If they are negative just help it develop your character and run with it. Took me a while to realise this, but when treated the right way make things more interesting.
    Because I did think it was stupid, OOC. Vhaynna couldn't care less about being enemied.
  • Stop quoting something that has me @'d, I don't want notifications for this.

Jumpy said:

• There are plenty of good quests. The ones in manara, the one with the prisoner in place, several others I like my non leafyness to much to mention. I have not been able to play around much with high level ones, but from poking at a couple they appear to be fun and even if the end reward is not to huge, a lot of the time you get a nice chunk of stuff in the process. Quests are not all about an end reward, if you are interested in some form of story you will be dedicated, and will be more likely to explore the area, a lot of the time fight more things, so they make day to day tasks less boring, and sometimes give something fun at the end.
  • Quests have always been satisfying for me. Many of the quests are outright brain melting to figure out and solving puzzles is a reward in it's own right.  Also pretty sweet if you get an honors quest line or just learn something cool about the world that makes the areas feel much more alive.  I know a handful of little side-quests I do daily that net me thousands of extra gold while I am hunting with minimal effort.
  • PainePaine Prime Material
    Best quest reward was probably Hermes' blessing aka the horseshoe quest that gave you something to the tune of 15-25% health for awhile. I think it was until someone else got the blessing. It led to a lot of "I'm not touching you" scenarios when people would camp out on the place where item would respawn and a lot of crying when someone swooped the items. Also city enemies couldn't complete.

As far as coolest, I dunno, getting teleported from mainland to far flung outer island was pretty shocking and exciting the first time I had a quest do that. I also enjoy messing with the fae on annwyn, they wear their emotions on their sleeves, easy to manipulate *cackle* I also really enjoyed Istarion because instead of reading a history book about the tsol'dasi I got to discover it via interaction and quests. It helps if you have death's call for those.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Vhaynna said:
    Jonathin said:
    I think it bears remembering that this is supposed to be a game with a significant focus on RP. While that often gets lost in the chaos (no pun intended) of everything else Achaea is these days, it's worth keeping in mind and striving to preserve and encourage RP whenever and wherever possible, in my opinion.

There are a lot of areas that are tied by RP, and backed up by established relations between NPC factions and Player factions, that work similar to this. It's not so much about whether or not you see a definitive impact, it's more about the ideological stance taken when acting one way or another.

Similar to how hunting in Blackrock will get you in trouble with Mhaldor, hunting Dwarves will get you in trouble with the Chosen of Lord Phaestus, hunting in Arcadia will get you in trouble with those who follow Lord Vastar, and causing any trouble in Caer Witrin will become a huge headache if you ever need to go there as well as get you in trouble with the Bard's Commune.

That being said, in regards to quests specifically, I find the most enjoyable and worthwhile ones aren't the ones that yield any sort of extreme monetary value. There are plenty of quests out there that pay out, and those are great, but the most fun I've had were with ones that required creative thinking and problem solving, and couldn't be typically be solved quickly in one pass. The ones that keep you wandering an area for an hour or more, looking for clues and trying new things, or revisiting that area extensively to try to make more progress than you did the last time.

The quest(s) in Aran-roid are a great example of this.

• Things tied to RP in a real way is one of the great things about MUDs that I value the most! With games like WoW and EQ (back in the day), it ultimately got reduced to pure numbers and mechanics with you controlling a character that is just a collection of abilities... all to get more things to improve your collection of abilities. 

Meh. 

Achaea offers a richer experience because it is so much more and in a real way, hell the Divine are real and interact with you! I feel like that gets lost to a lot of folks, but it is what makes MUDs and Achaea special. 

I don't play the game to be a walking stat block, even though I spent time/money to improve that stat block, ultimately I'm slacking on the part I love most about the game which is RP and getting involved in the world/game with other players and Divine in a real way.

The end goal isn't always the gold/xp carrot at the end of the rope. There's so much more and I feel like I've not even scratched the surface with what the game has to offer.
  • Kzir said:
    The end goal isn't always the gold/xp carrot at the end of the rope.

Yeah @Penwize.

• I mean if that's your enjoyment, go for it :) I'm just speaking for myself. 
  • If you like questing yes, the rewards are not worth it. No. 

• I max out renown by doing quests.

Quests are great as long as it doesn't devolve into 'guess the syntax' games, cause those are so.. not fun

• Veldrin said:
    I max out renown by doing quests.

Quests are great as long as it doesn't devolve into 'guess the syntax' games, cause those are so.. not fun
    by far my least favorite. trying to guess the right thing to say.