Simple way to stop theft

edited July 2020 in North of Thera
Tired of constantly being stolen from despite selfishness and other IG mechanisms. There is a simple approach with either mudlet or nexus to stop theft. Create yourself aliases that rewrite commands like give and drop to do something else a simple regex like ^give .+  or ^drop .+  and have the system send something like laugh or peer anytime you try and do these things. You can then tie them to a toggle that turns them off and on. Just don't let people know what your toggle command is or tie the toggle to a keybind that way they can't force you to toggle your anti-theft off.

Comments

• JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Won't work, friend. Commands that still work via hypnosis/soulmaster/whatever are handled server side, not client side. That means that the forced commands are not subject to your aliases and you can't alias existing commands with the IG system either.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • This doesn't work at all. Your client side aliases only apply to the things you enter into your client. They DO NOT apply to things you are forced to do in the game, because that is only interpreted on the game's server which knows nothing about your aliases.
  • Ahhh hell brain cramp 
  • Would be crazy awesome if it did work like that... think of the possibilities if you figure out someone’s aliases!  =)
  • There's a really simple way to stop theft. Journal/logout if you have to afk for a long time. If it's a short time, sit on guards.

Tada.

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.

• I remember back in the day making zMud aliases to prevent theft...then realizing that didn't work a few weeks later, and then trying to use in game aliases to prevent it. Good times.

Side note, guards don't protect you from all theft either, they just make it harder and more noticeable. But that doesn't matter if you're 100% afk for minutes at a time - all it takes is about 1 minute of you not paying attention.

• Roundabouts 20 seconds ETA to sovereigns leaving your inventory if they can get your gold out and into your hands on the first try. And that's with selfishness putting itself back up automatically when stripped.

I've never been a fan of how immersion-breaking it is to teach someone anti-theft. You HAVE to go OOC with it to be an effective lesson. Sure, you can use terms like "reflexes" - but theft targets the uneducated as its primary victim type (and the afk I suppose...) So if they have zero clue how to create a trigger, well... //you have a Discord, bro?
  • I forgot Achaea doesn't allow you to re-alias game commands. Most the other IREs do, making it an easy way to deal with it.  And sadly life happens, you're logged in playing and kid gets sick, dog has an accident, boss calls for what is supposed to be 2 secs and turns into a long call, you knock your soda over. We all get pulled more often than we would like and logging out or moving to guards isn't possible so it would be nice if the simple step of allowing a player to server-side alias game commands were allowed. 
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    SETALIAS AFK WRITE JOURNAL 
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    Archaeon said:
    Could probably throw in eating potash/moss as well just in case you're not a full health/mana before trying to journal.

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    Kresslack said:
    Archaeon said:
    Could probably throw in eating potash/moss as well just in case you're not a full health/mana before trying to journal.
    Svo and wsys both have functions that fully heal you and send a selected command once you're healed. I don't know what they are without looking, sadly. 
  • Aldare said:
    I forgot Achaea doesn't allow you to re-alias game commands. Most the other IREs do, making it an easy way to deal with it.  And sadly life happens, you're logged in playing and kid gets sick, dog has an accident, boss calls for what is supposed to be 2 secs and turns into a long call, you knock your soda over. We all get pulled more often than we would like and logging out or moving to guards isn't possible so it would be nice if the simple step of allowing a player to server-side alias game commands were allowed. 
    This didn't work in Achaea, even when you could alias game commands. I'm also surprised that it works in any other IRE game (assuming that you're correct that it does). There's absolutely no reason for forced commands to be running through the code that handles server-side aliases.
  • edited July 2020
    Aldare said:
    I forgot Achaea doesn't allow you to re-alias game commands. Most the other IREs do, making it an easy way to deal with it.  And sadly life happens, you're logged in playing and kid gets sick, dog has an accident, boss calls for what is supposed to be 2 secs and turns into a long call, you knock your soda over. We all get pulled more often than we would like and logging out or moving to guards isn't possible so it would be nice if the simple step of allowing a player to server-side alias game commands were allowed. 

Logging out is always possible. It takes not even a second to click the X that closes Mudlet/your browser. Also no, other IRE games don't let you change what commands do. They sometimes let you realias shorthand (like qw or sc) commands, but even those are rare and have a massive warning. Forced commands don't run through your alias changes at all, they run through the actual game commands.

• KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    edited July 2020
    Austere said:
    Kresslack said:
    Archaeon said:
    Svo and wsys both have functions that fully heal you and send a selected command once you're healed. I don't know what they are without looking, sadly. 
    Ah, didn't know that, but I found it for Svof:

fl
    has the system heal up to full health and mana - this is useful for vitality, ships, editors and etc. This will not make use of moss, only sipping.

fl <command>
    heals up to full stats and does the command once you’re fully healed. For example, fl write journal page 1 will write in the journal when you’re able.

• edited July 2020
    From Imperian just 30 seconds ago 

setalias give laugh
    Alias "give" will now execute: "laugh"
    WARNING: You have just aliased an existing command.

And this is from lusternia

Alias "give" will now execute: "laugh"
    WARNING: You have just aliased an existing command.

So yeah don't tell me you can't do it on other IRE's you could also do it on MKO 
  • Yes and if someone forces you to give something, you won't laugh. You'll still try to give something... As I said.

• I'm a bit surprised this thread has gone on this long without anyone mentioning it but uh.

You do realize that the GIVE, DROP, PUT, etc commands can't be forced anymore, right?  That's not how theft works now.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Hey, I did allude to it, but I didn't know what still works in general.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • I dislike this thread.

• VanVan
    edited August 2020
    I remember Glint used to rob anything with a pulse. He tried to rob me so I demon horrored him and stole his Dirk and darkwood bow, pawned them off to a Naga as keepsakes. 

• SophiSophi Rally Point
    edited August 2020
    A long time ago, like 2004ish, I had a decoy pack that only had a note in it that said "haha sucker" or something to that effect. I hope the thief that got it had a good laugh.

edit: Might have been Desiderius?
  • Theft sounds cool and all, but I don't really have many high-value things that aren't resettable. It would just be more annoying to lose my pipes or other items, and I rarely carry much gold (since I spend it all). Hopefully, my rift isn't stealable  :#

Can't steal bound credits and my OneNote  B)
  • I stole your RAM. You're gonna have to download more.

• Saonji said:
    I stole your RAM. You're gonna have to download more.

• Saonji said:
    I stole your RAM. You're gonna have to download more.

Joke's on you, I deleted my System32 folder, where I hid my RAM!