Toteming water rooms

Trying to totem a bunch of water rooms, and having trouble keeping the water out long enough to get the totem implanted. Whether it's the Sceptre of Aqueous Mastery or one of the several water-parting abilities, the water only stays parted for about five minutes. Even with the artefact toteming gloves, that's still about two minutes before the totem finishes.

I've had limited success timing the part/implant so the water returns between implant "ticks". This works sometimes, but I've noticed with the Sceptre that the timing isn't always consistent (water rushes back in before it should and stops the implant).

Any suggestions, ideas,  or better ways to do this?

Best Answer

Answers

• ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Have a buddy wall you in
  • I don't understand how this isn't bug abuse. Totems aren't supposed to be in water rooms, if you have a work around don't use it because totems aren't supposed to be in water rooms.
  • Why would it be bug abuse? Parting water is an actual mechanic, as is toteming a parted room. This has been a thing for at least 15 years, I highly doubt it will change.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • 'If it is too good to be true it probably is' is the metric. Totems aren't allowed to be planted in water rooms. However you can use another mechanic to bypass the restriction. How is that not too good to be true? It bypasses the one restriction that implanting has.

• I don't think I would ever describe an implanted totem as 'too good to be true'. Your argument is interesting, though. Better not use water walking shoes either. You can't normally walk through water rooms, and using another mechanic to bypass that restriction is too good to be true.
  • Now you are learning why the "too good to be true" is a terrible as shit way to measure severity of potential mechanical abuse, thank you for making Acci's point for her.
  • Calira said:
    I don't think I would ever describe an implanted totem as 'too good to be true'. Your argument is interesting, though. Better not use water walking shoes either. You can't normally walk through water rooms, and using another mechanic to bypass that restriction is too good to be true.

You could implant the whole Zaphar and just have people perma locked and dying to voyria I think, not too sure how currents apply to paralysis/transfix but it seems like it would work. Waterwalking is an interesting thing though. It allows all movement through water which opens up a few interesting interactions but it also specifically states that that is what it does. This case is pretty clearly an oversight that arises from 1) the reduction in implant channeling time that happened years ago, 2) Totems working in flooded rooms due to combat mechanics and 3) additional access to parting waters which was traditionally a church factional ability.
  • It is getting really tiring watching you try to "GOTCHA" people into bug abuse because you were shrubbed. Can you please stop? 

• How am I trying to gotcha anyone by saying ‘this feels shady, maybe think about not doing it’? I would have loved if someone had of pointed out to me what I did to get shrubbed was possibly abuse so I would have thought about it. I probably would have brushed it off but it would have been nice to have at least a little warning. So when I see stuff like this that appears to be direct circumvention of obviously intended limitations, which is what I was shrubbed for, I think it is only fair to give the warning I wish I had received.

if people want to keep doing it that is cool, no one has been punished for it as far as I know and there are totems all around it waterways. Just maybe think a little first.
  • We did think about it, and figured out how to totem waterways with in game mechanics that simply coordinate to allow it. Nothing nefarious about it.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • edited July 2020
    Phaestus said:
    For the record, it is not possible to totem waterways that have currents, to prevent some very obviously inescapable death-traps.

Accipiter said:
    'If it is too good to be true it probably is' is the metric. Totems aren't allowed to be planted in water rooms. However you can use another mechanic to bypass the restriction. How is that not too good to be true? It bypasses the one restriction that implanting has.

Using this logic, flooding a room should entirely negate a totem.

• Accipiter said:
    Calira said:
    I don't think I would ever describe an implanted totem as 'too good to be true'. Your argument is interesting, though. Better not use water walking shoes either. You can't normally walk through water rooms, and using another mechanic to bypass that restriction is too good to be true.

You could implant the whole Zaphar and just have people perma locked and dying to voyria I think, not too sure how currents apply to paralysis/transfix but it seems like it would work. Waterwalking is an interesting thing though. It allows all movement through water which opens up a few interesting interactions but it also specifically states that that is what it does. This case is pretty clearly an oversight that arises from 1) the reduction in implant channeling time that happened years ago, 2) Totems working in flooded rooms due to combat mechanics and 3) additional access to parting waters which was traditionally a church factional ability.
    @Andraste did that once but only around the E. Ithmia you can still cure. With currents you can get out of it. What sucks is Pain then sleep totems alternating. Insta death pretty much
  • edited July 2020
    Yea it can be pretty damned effective. I used standard rope/sleep totems in rooms with exits onto the river, and on the river exit only rooms i used a damage/resleep hybrid that made it very hard to escape if you weren't expecting it.