Wish List - New Achaean Class

Classes in Achaea are one of the most unique things about Achaea. As the title suggests, what kind of class do you imagine being a unique addition to the game? While i'm sure we all have ideas of classes from other games that we've played,what kind of class skills, themes, and RP tie-ins help to make your class idea great for Achaea in particular?

Comments

• edited June 2020
    With Occultist and Necromancy supposedly getting reworks Soon™, making Outcast a fully-fledged class that you can be again would be awesome. Prolly not gonna happen, but pipedream. All the RP/themes etc are already in the game.

Another wishlist item would be reworking Shamans to give them more focus towards the spiritlore/curses side of things. Vodun/Puppetry are incredibly horrible mechanics, both to fight with and to fight against. I absolutely loved Imperian's rendition of Shaman when they replaced Vodun. Again, probably won't happen, people are too set on the whole "IF yoU dON'T LIKE VODUn doNT play sHAman LoL" mindset.

Not sure about completely new classes. I don't think Achaea needs any more for a while, they should balance/finetune the ones they have first. Psion unnecessarily came outta nowhere.

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.

• Make Runelore a bit more interactive. Traps and "you're just a bit better at everything" is boring.

Get rid of the staffstrike mechanics in Mage, reflavour them as just casting spells at the targeted limbs.

Add a bit of weighting for Blademaster sword names based off of home city/race/Order affiliation/other classes. No one should suffer the indignity of Silent Rats, Silver Badger, or Infinite Fireflies.

Give Occie ents/summoning/pacts more flavour. Right now, it's a generic thing for everything.
  • edited June 2020
    This is a ship long since past, but after the Infernals left Ashtan after the destruction of the Iron Citadel, there was a lot of talk about a chaos-themed Knight class wielding a variation of Occultism, Chivalry, and (then forging, would now be) Weaponmastery. With some tweaks similar to what's been done with Necromancy and Devotion, could see some really interesting flavour added even though in an age in which Honour and Chivalric Code is pretty much lost (R.I.P.) after the destruction of the Knight Guilds, there isn't a strong RP basis for bringing them in at this point.

I started playing after the Outcasts were a class, but i do remember seeing one rogue Necro-wielding Occultist in my very early days in Ashtan (Pre-Andraste).
  • I wish our knights weren’t so limited in weapons they can use. I would like to see more access across the board on that. Swapping to polearm (Still not added) for X reason, or longsword/scimitar without having to change your specialization entirely. Javelins and shortswords also come to mind as nearly useless.

Dual cutting could use shortswords to do less damage and less limb damage at a faster balance, for instance. 

I also would love to see an actual rogue class, similar to Outcast that was mentioned. Specifically a hodgepodge or other skills that all aren’t perfect but serviceable.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • I vaguely remember a previous class thread like this talk about a rogue berserker class that was a less 'civilized' 2h or dual wield AoE damage centric class with rage mechanics in which you build rage the more damage you take, which would then be used as a resource to do more AoE damage, heal, or crowd control.

Seems like a lot of the base ideas for allowing more types of weapons were folded into the class revamps for Knight during the renaissance. I think having a Lancer/Dragoon style class would fit pretty well thematically with Achaea's lore, separate and distinct from that of Sentinel which seems to have it's unique niche as a polearm class.
  • edited June 2020
    I'd love to see a forestal faction Knight/warrior (ish) class.  Runewarden is awesome, but definitely not what I would have been if something else had been available.  Sentinel almost fit the bill for me, but Metamorphosis didn't really attract me.  Kinda like, classic D&D Ranger.  Shortsword/dagger, animal companion.  But we can't even get an active Divine, so I guess that might be asking too much.

Also like Gallida mentioned, making Runelore a bit more interactive would be awesome.  Outr ink, sketch rune.  Just kinda boring. And Implant, Empower, and Designate are absolutely awful examples of near trans/trans skills considering what Necromancy and Devotion brings to the table at Trans.  I think if Totems were changed to more of an active ability, or if even we had a Trans skill that allowed a Runewarden to act more like standard bearer, that would be pretty dope.  Like, a totem with dagaz, uruz, gebo, gebu gives your allies passive healing and aff curing, and increases their blunt and cutting protection.  Or on the opposite end, thurisaz, othala, fehu, wunjo for passive damage and affs to enemies.
  • Sarfir said:
    I'd love to see a forestal faction Knight/warrior (ish) class.  Runewarden is awesome, but definitely not what I would have been if something else had been available.  Sentinel almost fit the bill for me, but Metamorphosis didn't really attract me.  Kinda like, classic D&D Ranger.  Shortsword/dagger, animal companion.  But we can't even get an active Divine, so I guess that might be asking too much.

Also like Gallida mentioned, making Runelore a bit more interactive would be awesome.  Outr ink, sketch rune.  Just kinda boring. And Implant, Empower, and Designate are absolutely awful examples of near trans/trans skills considering what Necromancy and Devotion brings to the table at Trans.  I think if Totems were changed to more of an active ability, or if even we had a Trans skill that allowed a Runewarden to act more like standard bearer, that would be pretty dope.  Like, a totem with dagaz, uruz, gebo, gebu gives your allies passive healing and aff curing, and increases their blunt and cutting protection.  Or on the opposite end, thurisaz, othala, fehu, wunjo for passive damage and affs to enemies.
    No more Forestal locked faction classes until other Cities get something unique to their faction, thank you! At least with some of the other faction classes, you can play it out and 'limit' yourself in your skills. Can't even be a City Druid. (Not counting old people.)
  • I always thought a Seer class would be interesting. Capable of storing moonlight into a crystal stone for some area wide abilities like how groves use sunlight. 

Casting fortunes on enemies gives afflictions for a bit of bad luck, while some fortunes on allies grant a few benefits.

Lastly, calling on the stars and constellations affect the environment, or deal damage. 

It doesn't really have much of a place though since a few classes, and some artefacts are already good or great at gathering intel, but I've always liked the idea and aesthetic.  :3
    "Alas. Alas for Hamlin. The Mayor sent east, west, north, and south. To offer the Piper by word of mouth. Wherever it was men's lot to find him, silver and gold to his heart's content. If only he'd return the way he went."
  • Jinos said:
    I always thought a Seer class would be interesting. Capable of storing moonlight into a crystal stone for some area wide abilities like how groves use sunlight. 

Casting fortunes on enemies gives afflictions for a bit of bad luck, while some fortunes on allies grant a few benefits.

Lastly, calling on the stars and constellations affect the environment, or deal damage. 

It doesn't really have much of a place though since a few classes, and some artefacts are already good or great at gathering intel, but I've always liked the idea and aesthetic.  :3
    That sounds pretty interesting.  Like a Divination Wizard crossed with an Alchemist.
  • edited June 2020
    When I read up the class description of Magi the first thing that leapt to me was, "oh they use crytals? cool crystal weapons!"

Of course this is not the case, but it's nice to fantasise about maybe a variation of Artificing, where instead of a golem you forge weapons out of Crystal, then you do combat like Arcane Warrior in Dragon Age : Origins.

Probably won't happen but a guy can dream.
  • Oooh, forging descriptors based on class would be awesome... Maybe a Legendary blacksmith with transcendent Blademaster skills could get some extra nouns or adjectives to make something soooorta like Murad's swords for others but still with the item type on. "A greatsword of the Eclipsing Moon", "a rapier of the Seven Embers", etc. Never gonna happen but good lord it'd be cool.
  • Atalkez said:
    I wish our knights weren’t so limited in weapons they can use. I would like to see more access across the board on that. Swapping to polearm (Still not added) for X reason, or longsword/scimitar without having to change your specialization entirely. Javelins and shortswords also come to mind as nearly useless.

Dual cutting could use shortswords to do less damage and less limb damage at a faster balance, for instance. 

I also would love to see an actual rogue class, similar to Outcast that was mentioned. Specifically a hodgepodge or other skills that all aren’t perfect but serviceable.
    The Polearm specialty is kinda what I was hoping to see for a future Cyrene class.  "Dragoon" class of some form.
  • edited June 2020
    Atalkez said:
    I wish our knights weren’t so limited in weapons they can use. I would like to see more access across the board on that. Swapping to polearm (Still not added) for X reason, or longsword/scimitar without having to change your specialization entirely. Javelins and shortswords also come to mind as nearly useless.

maybe give someone a reason to use axes, yeah?

Eril said:
    Atalkez said:

The Polearm specialty is kinda what I was hoping to see for a future Cyrene class.  "Dragoon" class of some form.

just give cyrene runespears and kiss goodbye to any LoS win you have against the Heart of the Vashnars lol. 
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • Eril said:
    Atalkez said:

Taking this a step further, Cyrene's factional class (they reopened that box when they made Sublimation) should get the following:

1. A skillset involving using a lance to poke, ram, and skewer enemies, with a few mobility attacks like Barge/Lunge. Bonus points if there's a LoS initiation ala Juggernaut.

2. A skillset focused around riding and commanding a winged drake that's a child of Blu, with comboable attacks and a conditional instakill where you and your drake buddy divebomb a prone target.

3. I dunno, Runelore for the third skill. It started in Cyrene, it seems flavorful to keep it. Also, I can't think of a third skill without going too hard into FF14 dragoons.

4. Lances, cavalry shields, and field plate. Makes field plate something other than "babby knight armor", cavalry shields and lances because they're literally cavalry.

5. An inability to use the drake riding portion if you're an enemy to Cyrene, because Blu's children know not to obey and will abandon Cyrenian enemies. Essentially, you'd be a gimped knight without the drake.
  • Make it another 'loyal' class. But like, full loyal. The skillsets all work in a way that buffs/assists the drake. Cyrene can remain neutral, but the drakes don't have to! Make any abilities tied to the person themselves full defensive. Access to a bigger level of shield. Abilities to disarm. Disloyalty would be a hilarious counterplay.
  • Nah. Cyrene needs a more prominent identity beyond "the place you go where you get all the benefits of a city with none of the drawbacks of an alignment" and doesn't have fun classes to attract people to help encourage the building and maintenance of such an identity.
  • edited June 2020
    I mean... Isn't that literally Cyrene's identity?

Anyway, a dragoon class would be cool. 
  • I mean... Isn't that literally Cyrene's identity?

Anyway, a dragoon class would be cool. 
    It was, maybe. But Cyrene was given a lot of skin in the game, to the tune of 90% of the npcs dying to politics. I think there's definitely a nudge to be something else.
  • Gallida said:
    Nah. Cyrene needs a more prominent identity beyond "the place you go where you get all the benefits of a city with none of the drawbacks of an alignment" and doesn't have fun classes to attract people to help encourage the building and maintenance of such an identity.
    Hashan built the identity and then got the class (not even a full class, just a different skill on an existing one). Cyrene won't get a factional class until it's a real faction that warrants one.
  • Double post to space my thoughts out!

Idon'tlikeBluthatmuch

I'd much rather have a Runewarden/Shaman hybrid, replace Runelore with Remembrance. Lemme channel some ghosts at people as I wade into battle, except they're here to help because I'm Cyrenian-aligned. Cyrene Forevermore gets literal, and Cyrene gets a neat twist on their obsession with remembering the past.

That, or ditch Weaponmastery and give Runewardens Battle Lore- you specialize in War or Peace. War gets polearms, Peace wields a tower shield only, give some love to the under-used weapons. War has a focus on aggression and engaging the enemy for their utility kit (charge on horseback, etc.) whereas Peace gets defensive-focused benefits.
  • I personally think Blu is boring as hell, but he's a decent mascot and would be a nice flavor hook.

As far as Cyrene's identity and factional classes, it's just a Gordian knot that needs to be cut by either sweeping changes in the populace or a firm push by the admins. The Occupation and Retaking was a good start that's slowly being capitalized on, but it still needs time and love.
  • I'll maintain that a lake wyrm pet > dragon pet. Why have some generic-ass fantasy lizard when you can have a lizard/centipede/praying mantis/lamprey hybrid?
  • Antonius said:
    Gallida said:
    Nah. Cyrene needs a more prominent identity beyond "the place you go where you get all the benefits of a city with none of the drawbacks of an alignment" and doesn't have fun classes to attract people to help encourage the building and maintenance of such an identity.
    Hashan built the identity and then got the class (not even a full class, just a different skill on an existing one). Cyrene won't get a factional class until it's a real faction that warrants one.
    Did Mhaldor, Shallam/Targ, and Eleusis build their identity, or did their multiple unique classes just come with their cities?
  • Eril said:
    Antonius said:
    Gallida said:
    Did Mhaldor, Shallam/Targ, and Eleusis build their identity, or did their multiple unique classes just come with their cities?
    ....... Well tbcf, Mhaldor, Shallam/Targ, and Eleusis weren't just "neutral". "neutral" isnt much of a faction. It still doesn't have as much of a presence as the others do (or should) because... Well, what is Cyrene fighting for? Freedom? What's free about being a class that can only be in one city? Kinda the drawback with the other faction classes, you either stick with them or lose a whole skill.

Cyrene has been doing more and definitely has drawn the short-stick a bit lately, but still getting an identity and something to fight for (other than "the place you go where you get all the benefits of a city with none of the drawbacks of an alignment", which imo is legit) would then make sense for it to have a factional class. But then it wouldn't be that different from Mhaldor, Shallam/Targ, and Eleusis, which... Is against the whole point of Cyrene, isn't it?

You can't really be both "a place to go with all the city benefits but none of the drawbacks of alignment" and still have an aligned class with a skill you can take away from non-citizens. That is a drawback of alignment (and one of the biggest ones). 
  • Eril said:
    Antonius said:
    Gallida said:
    ....... Well tbcf, Mhaldor, Shallam/Targ, and Eleusis weren't just "neutral". "neutral" isnt much of a faction. It still doesn't have as much of a presence as the others do (or should) because... Well, what is Cyrene fighting for? Freedom? What's free about being a class that can only be in one city? Kinda the drawback with the other faction classes, you either stick with them or lose a whole skill.

Cyrene has been doing more and definitely has drawn the short-stick a bit lately, but still getting an identity and something to fight for (other than "the place you go where you get all the benefits of a city with none of the drawbacks of an alignment", which imo is legit) would then make sense for it to have a factional class. But then it wouldn't be that different from Mhaldor, Shallam/Targ, and Eleusis, which... Is against the whole point of Cyrene, isn't it?

You can't really be both "a place to go with all the city benefits but none of the drawbacks of alignment" and still have an aligned class with a skill you can take away from non-citizens. That is a drawback of alignment (and one of the biggest ones). 
    That's definitely how it is, and a frustration for me OOCly- Cyrene, by the Tables, can pick-and-choose to do pretty much whatever it wants, without having any real 'issue' with it. For instance, the Life Priestess was justified by the Tables, better her than any of the other candidates too. But then Mhaldor is nailing children to stuff, Ashtan is doing who knows what to make those rats happen, etc. etc. and we can just be "it's fine we're neutral".

In my perfect world, Cyrene throw the Tables onto the ground like we're Moses and starts from scratch. Unfortunately, that's not how it goes, so I'm happy chipping away and trying to improve things where ever, and however, I can. I do wish we could have a fancy class or toy to play with, if just to attract some alts to beef up our raiding crew, but I get why investing dev time in that probably won't happen for a long time.
  • Eril said:
    Antonius said:
    Gallida said:
    I mean... Yes? Literally their entire factional identity is backed by RL decade(s) of game lore. Whereas Cyrene factional identity is "we aren't interested in factional stuff" ... Why, therefore, would you get a faction-locked class? At best you'd have a city-independent class that is loosely tied to Cyrene.

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.

• I'd agree with smashing the Tables because they're outdated and made of inertia. Cyrene started out as Bant and decided to go full Azorius.
  • Kog said:
    Eril said:
    Antonius said:
    Gallida said:

That's definitely how it is, and a frustration for me OOCly- Cyrene, by the Tables, can pick-and-choose to do pretty much whatever it wants, without having any real 'issue' with it. For instance, the Life Priestess was justified by the Tables, better her than any of the other candidates too. But then Mhaldor is nailing children to stuff, Ashtan is doing who knows what to make those rats happen, etc. etc. and we can just be "it's fine we're neutral".

In my perfect world, Cyrene throw the Tables onto the ground like we're Moses and starts from scratch. Unfortunately, that's not how it goes, so I'm happy chipping away and trying to improve things where ever, and however, I can. I do wish we could have a fancy class or toy to play with, if just to attract some alts to beef up our raiding crew, but I get why investing dev time in that probably won't happen for a long time.
    Well, if you want to fight against Mhaldor nailing children to stuff and Ashtan having sex with rats, then you wouldn't really be neutral. You'd be the good guys... The Good guys. And we already have one of those.
  • Kog said:
    Eril said:
    Antonius said:
    Gallida said:

Well, if you want to fight against Mhaldor nailing children to stuff and Ashtan having sex with rats, then you wouldn't really be neutral. You'd be the good guys... The Good guys. And we already have one of those.

Cyrene, currently, is the good-lowercase-g guys. I think they actually use 'neutral-good', but I prefer 'goodish'. I DO think it's close enough to be uncomfortable, but nobody else wants to hop on board the xenophobia bandwagon with me so I'm having to poke at other stuff.