Forays: A Review.

14567810»

Comments

• Akri said:
    It's a little disheartening when you complete a foray talisman, and it ends up not working. In this case, spending several times and doing about a dozen runs of the Margam, rounding up a crew in hopes of finding out where the wheel talisman leads us... only to find it doesn't work. There's been no feedback, but if there's any kind of reward or honours line on being first (and there absolutely might not be, which is also fine), we'd lose our lead as we wait for a bug report that hasn't seem to have budged ever since the ISSUE ME was converted to one.

I originally didn't want to post at all, since I probably sound pretty entitled now considering there's a lot of bigger things going on and I'm sure there's bigger issues and bugs to tackle. But after the effort put in and all the excitement of finally going to find out what would happen it's... a bit of a bummer. 
    Don't worry, the same thing happened with paradox (the foray map). Admin fixed that and it turned out to be pretty cool!
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • EntaroEntaro Plymouth
    Paradox foray was really fun! More puzzle based forays like that pls thx

(Party): Crixos says, "Open your wunjos, people of Sapience."
    (Party): Crixos says, "Be nairated by my words."
  • Entaro said:
    Paradox foray was really fun! More puzzle based forays like that pls thx
    Def fav foray

The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • Wtb passage on paradox without having to change cities ;_;
  • Meriet said:
    Wtb passage on paradox without having to change cities ;_;
    I'll take you if you give me 70 credits.

• Meriet said:
    I still have to do it, but if you show interest in Mhaldorians and Evil, and just so happens to coalign with an interesting RP direction or story, I don’t see it being impossible. Branching out doesn’t mean subservience.
  • EntaroEntaro Plymouth
    Astarod said:
    Meriet said:
    I'll take you if you give me 70 credits.
    I'll do it for 50.

(Party): Crixos says, "Open your wunjos, people of Sapience."
    (Party): Crixos says, "Be nairated by my words."
  • edited September 2020
    Ok so I've done most of the new forays [ Beaten: Pryla'ari, Sevet; Failed: Titania, Maim; Not yet attempted: Telaan]  and I have a few notes if the Admin will indulge me:

We are going to do Cons -> Pros. (bad things, then good things)

1. Rewards. 

There is absolutely no reason to do any of the new forays. The experience, gold, lack of talisman/honours rewards despite the elevated difficulty was kind of a letdown. 10,000 gold is just not enough and I don't think it's fair to say this is enough for us. I don't think it's out of question to ask for some kind of elevated reward, even if it is just more experience/gold for killing the boss. 

2. Difficulty.

I think three things need to be looked at for difficulty:

1. trash mob move rate: The average monsters in Sevet/Maim feel like they move too quickly. I haven't experienced the same issue in Pryla'ari or Titania, but that might have just been rng. I feel like the # of mobs needs to be moved down, or that they need to be slowed down as far as movement goes so we don't get aff whored on entrances especially. 

2. Titania/Patrick slimes/hounds. Currently, unless we're missing something grand, the grevious wounds from the hounds stick too long to a person (the heal ticks too slowly to make any process without burst-bashing the hounds). This means that to beat the Titania foray, you need to kill yourself on the hounds as they repopulate three times (80-60-40) because you can't crit the dryad and the dryad has too much health. Myself, Atalkez, and Seragorn bashed it down to 50% when we swapped right away, and it completed regardless. This bleeds into my next and final criticism:

3. Health. I feel like the bosses have wayyy too much health for these forays. Simply bashing down the battle lord as a trio is a chore and I can't imagine how he scales with 6 people. I think that Borgron is a great health metric for most foray bosses, since you can kill him relatively 'quickly.' Killing Sevet/Tsol'dasi battle lord took us like 15-30 minutes on both which seems rather boring and not a very fun mechanic- especially with the lack of a real reward for this effort. On top of this, the hounds/slimes health needs to also be looked at as there are only 3-6 people in this foray and they need to be able to chew through these mobs to prevent group death/patrick heal/hounds coming back.

Good things: I love the maps that you guys used, I have no qualms with the actual trash mobs if they moved a touch slower, and I think that some of the forays are definitely not as bad as the others. Thank you so much for opening the door for more content, and listening to us here when we try to provide constructive feedback. I think with a little tinkering these could be really awesome fun things to do when we play your game. 

Does anyone else have any opinions with these new forays?

• Astarod said:
    Ok so I've done most of the new forays [ Beaten: Pryla'ari, Sevet; Failed: Titania, Maim; Not yet attempted: Telaan]  and I have a few notes if the Admin will indulge me:

We are going to do Cons -> Pros. (bad things, then good things)

1. Rewards. 

There is absolutely no reason to do any of the new forays. The experience, gold, lack of talisman/honours rewards despite the elevated difficulty was kind of a letdown. 10,000 gold is just not enough and I don't think it's fair to say this is enough for us. I don't think it's out of question to ask for some kind of elevated reward, even if it is just more experience/gold for killing the boss. 

2. Difficulty.

I think three things need to be looked at for difficulty:

1. trash mob move rate: The average monsters in Sevet/Maim feel like they move too quickly. I haven't experienced the same issue in Pryla'ari or Titania, but that might have just been rng. I feel like the # of mobs needs to be moved down, or that they need to be slowed down as far as movement goes so we don't get aff whored on entrances especially. 

2. Titania/Patrick slimes/hounds. Currently, unless we're missing something grand, the grevious wounds from the hounds stick too long to a person (the heal ticks too slowly to make any process without burst-bashing the hounds). This means that to beat the Titania foray, you need to kill yourself on the hounds as they repopulate three times (80-60-40) because you can't crit the dryad and the dryad has too much health. Myself, Atalkez, and Seragorn bashed it down to 50% when we swapped right away, and it completed regardless. This bleeds into my next and final criticism:

3. Health. I feel like the bosses have wayyy too much health for these forays. Simply bashing down the battle lord as a trio is a chore and I can't imagine how he scales with 6 people. I think that Borgron is a great health metric for most foray bosses, since you can kill him relatively 'quickly.' Killing Sevet/Tsol'dasi battle lord took us like 15-30 minutes on both which seems rather boring and not a very fun mechanic- especially with the lack of a real reward for this effort. On top of this, the hounds/slimes health needs to also be looked at as there are only 3-6 people in this foray and they need to be able to chew through these mobs to prevent group death/patrick heal/hounds coming back.

Good things: I love the maps that you guys used, I have no qualms with the actual trash mobs if they moved a touch slower, and I think that some of the forays are definitely not as bad as the others. Thank you so much for opening the door for more content, and listening to us here when we try to provide constructive feedback. I think with a little tinkering these could be really awesome fun things to do when we play your game. 

Does anyone else have any opinions with these new forays?

New forays = New Explorers room = Happy Adrik.

These are my opinions.

Also Telaan's foray being Loyal to Telaan is probably going to get her yelling at me for doing it-- and or it banned from Hashan. 0/10 would not want to be her enemy.
  • They definitely scale.

• edited September 2020
    Patricks slimes are pretty tanky when Crixos, Fleur, and I did Maim. Took a few tries, made it to the point where the ghosts came. The way we stopped that originally didn't work. When we died there were 44 ghosts in room. Which is pretty brutal punishment.

...But I'm excited for these! I loved the original process of figuring these mobs out and get to refresh on that.
  • Ellryn said:
    Patricks slimes are pretty tanky when Crixos, Fleur, and I did Maim. Took a few tries, made it to the point where the ghosts came. The way we stopped that originally didn't work. When we died there were 44 ghosts in room. Which is pretty brutal punishment.

...But I'm excited for these! I loved the original process of figuring these mobs out and get to refresh on that.
    I am too! Did you have to burn matic on the slimes or did u just have the help of RNJesus with crits

• Please give us some shared XP for completion, not just the person who happens to land the killing blow.

Did Sevet today, seemed straightforward enough even if I did die 6 times, and I like the insurance option. 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • Sobriquet said:
    Please give us some shared XP for completion, not just the person who happens to land the killing blow.

Did Sevet today, seemed straightforward enough even if I did die 6 times, and I like the insurance option. 
    Doesn't voyages have shared exp on completion?

• The foray areas seem to be the exact same as the old Reckoning outposts, minus "enemies respawn in one room" and "kill a bajillion dudes to spawn a jaguar/cultist/chaos hound/swamp nymph" mechanic.
  • Astarod said:
    Sobriquet said:
    Please give us some shared XP for completion, not just the person who happens to land the killing blow.

No. Only if you're in the room when the final mob dies, and in the 'group' of person who lands the killing blow. Which isn't always gonna be the case.

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.

• Saonji said:
    Astarod said:
    Sobriquet said:

No. Only if you're in the room when the final mob dies, and in the 'group' of person who lands the killing blow. Which isn't always gonna be the case.
    If you die, or if the person leading your group dies-- everyone gets 'lost' from eachother. :)
  • Adrik said:
    Saonji said:
    Astarod said:
    Sobriquet said:

If you die, or if the person leading your group dies-- everyone gets 'lost' from eachother. :)

I was more thinking instances like Mirror Tower where only 1 person will get it regardless. Aran'kesh is another annoying one where if you happen to get thrown away right as he dies. Think Barrow has some issues with exp sharing, too.

Disappearing from Achaea for now. See you, space cowboy.

smileyface#8048 if you wanna chat.

• Saonji said:
    Adrik said:
    Saonji said:
    Astarod said:
    Sobriquet said:

I was more thinking instances like Mirror Tower where only 1 person will get it regardless. Aran'kesh is another annoying one where if you happen to get thrown away right as he dies. Think Barrow has some issues with exp sharing, too.
    With Aran'kesh it's rather simple- have one person hit at  < 5%, everyone else follow. When he throws the person hitting, the rest will follow.