Post-Tyrannus Rant

edited May 2020 in North of Thera
As per tradition, here comes the post-Tyrannus rant. Unlike some of my predecessors, I am not retiring, I will not display my handwriting, but I do have a small rant completely unrelated to stepping down. (I don't walk the thin line between genius and madness either.)

This has been a long time in the making, and should probably have happened sooner. Simply put, any city needs vital leadership. I wish I could provide that, but the urge to log in and be the Tyrannus after a long day of work just isn't as strong as it was in the beginning. It is high time someone else gets the chance to breathe life into Mhaldor, and it is high time Ysela gets a chance to breathe more freely.

These IG decades have provided tremendous development for Ysela, and I dare say for me as well. Now, I look forward to finding out who Ysela is without the big fancy title and the formal responsibility, to focus on the small things that are important to her. Planning world conquest is all well and good (and very fun), but I've missed digging into the details of the world, of my character, and of the characters around her.

Mhaldor is a lot different now compared to the quiet Sartan-less city of some of Ysela's youth. It has always been a great place to play in though, in large part because of its players. The mix of steady old hands, the middle ranks who actually get things done, and the starry-eyed (or eyes-downcast, as the case may be) slaves is vital to creating a great atmosphere. Keeping that mix, turning middle-rankers into old hands, and slaves into people who get things done, is key. As is keeping @Sartan. Be very nice to Him, Mhaldor. We are very lucky to have Him.

There are many people who I should thank and who deserve recognition, but rather than risk forgetting anyone I'll take the easy way out and say thank you to everyone who has poured their heart and soul into making Mhaldor a more vibrant place - from Sartan up top and down to the lowliest slave, and even a few non-Mhaldorians.

Take care of Mhaldor, @Stheno, and don't forget to have fun.

EDIT: I forgot the rant.

I understand the social aspect of OOC clans and Discord and what-have-you, but the lack of an OOC/IC barrier is a big threat to a lot of what is good about Achaea. Sit and chat by all means, but not about IC things.

That, and every-so-often having to straighten up people who let their in-the-moment feelings get the better of them to create unnecessary drama, sucks a lot of fun out of being city leader. Keep your heads cool and your skin thick. There are enough IC conflicts to go around, no need to create OOC ones.

Comments

• This rant needs more rant  :p
  • Thaisen said:
    This rant needs more rant  :p

Fixed in an edit...
  • I'm blown away you held onto the position for so long, and continued to do nothing but excel in it, countering burnout exceptionally well. Now you can actually play the game portion of the. . . well, game.
  • I really wish I had the time and the energy to devote to creating a character for Mhaldor. I have always admired you from afar, and stuff like this is one of the reasons why, if that makes any sense at all.

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• You've always been one of my favorites, and a great leader to boot. You did an awesome job.
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• edited May 2020
    Working with you the few times I got the opportunity was awesome Ysela, but none more then during the Black Wave.  You led Mhaldor really well, excelling at doing what was best for Mhaldor and somehow not pissing everyone else off at you in the process!

You provided a mixture of the Mhaldorian intimidation factor that comes with interacting with Mhaldor, with the reasonable and open discussion of a diplomat.  I always got the feeling of the cold pragmatist from her that really made the person interacting with you step up their game if ever they wanted to succeed in negotiations.

Ysela was great at what she did, and the shoes you leave behind to fill are huge! (Good luck to whoever that is).  I hope to have the opportunity to interact with Ysela in the future!  Congrats on leaving office, it’s a miserable job sometimes, but you handled it with class.
  • Even from a lowly slave that doesn't RP much (I usually log to see if raids are going on frankly), your input and reach was noticed. Thank you for helping make Mhaldor more than Generic Evil Entity X.

Jumpy said:
    The membership is already such a good deal that there is no way we can reduce the cost. 

• Your attention and approval giving legitimacy to how I've adapted my playing over the years, along with recognizing things a lot of people tended to overlook, contributed in a big way to my sticking around as long as I did, and interacting with you is one of the major things that always has me considering making a return for more than five minutes at a time. You've well earned a rest for all you've done for the game, and I hope you mean it that you're sticking around.