Starting artis

I have a decent chunk of retirement credits and I was curious which artifacts are good to buy.

My focus is on roleplay and crafting, with a mild interest in bashing and PK. Which artifacts really enhance roleplay and which artis are great bang for buck for pve/pvp?

Thanks!

Comments

• ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    #1 is SoA, if you can use it.  

Then I would suggest, for hunting, con arties.  For PVP, sip rings/EQ recovery.  Sip rings will also help with PVE, as well as regen arties. It really depends on your class, but that's a good starting point.
  • SoA if you're not a monk/blademaster/knight, sip ring, bracelet, con belt. Ring of flying and artie pipes are nice but not essential. Definitely trans Avoidance if you can spare the lessons.

Beyond that, it kind of depends on class and how much you have available.
  • Idk what you mean by 'arties for RP' but there's a staff of illusions, and a big boy staff of illusions that does colors. Aside from that, RP kinda just happens naturally through what you do. So it depends on what your version of RP is. Maybe you wanna be a merchant. Be a drink maker or tailor or whatever. Costs lessons, so maybe set credits aside for that.
    But you don't 'need' anything for rp, and aside from that staff, nothing really lends to it.
  • edited May 2020
    #1 bashing arti aside from Shield of Absorption (if your class can use it) is 100% a crit pendant. Followed by sip ring, bracelets, con in that order.

Dunno what you consider "RP artifacts" to be. Most crafting ones are worth it, though.
  • I guess pets can be considered "RP arties", as well as any sorts of customisation.
  • edited May 2020
    Rackham said:
    Idk what you mean by 'arties for RP' but there's a staff of illusions, and a big boy staff of illusions that does colors. Aside from that, RP kinda just happens naturally through what you do. So it depends on what your version of RP is. Maybe you wanna be a merchant. Be a drink maker or tailor or whatever. Costs lessons, so maybe set credits aside for that.
    But you don't 'need' anything for rp, and aside from that staff, nothing really lends to it.
    Yeah, that staff is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for, thanks! By RP artis, I mean ways to enhance roleplay scenes, such as illusions, or to enhance/expand my character and add unique details, like the custom perfume cabinet. 
  • @Celadriel You can spend credits to customise stuff you buy as well. So like, if you buy the ummm....Cask, whatever that is, that refills with booze. Or the drinking horn. You can spend credits to change appearance, what it produces, etc. If you do invest in arties, they don't have to necessarily be in the form they are purchased in. Don't like your tradeskill gauntlets? Put them on a ring, customise the ring with special interactions, etc. I think there's a help scroll that tells you limitations (God why can't I make my shield be shadowy as a DW? It's so unfair) but for the most part just wing your ideas out. They'll tell you if it's 'too much'
  • edited May 2020
    I never quite understood the need for illusions to roleplay, especially with the rather wide emoting capabilities we have nowadays.

Instead of doing "conjure illusion A flock of birds rises from a nearby rock, momentarily blocking out the sun.", can't you just do "emote watches silently as a flock of birds rises from a nearby rock, momentarily blocking out the sun."? The number of times when an illusion couldn't be turned into an emote with some creativity is very small, I think.

Plus, emotes won't ever give lifevision-users that pesky **Illusion** line, which I find a bit immersion-breaking.

But, to get back on topic, I'd still recommend pets as one of the foremost "RP arties". The amount of things you can do with them and the amount of customisation you can put into them give you quite a lot of bang for your buck, in my opinion. And yeah, customisation are a given of course. Definitely worth their price.

In the same vein as customisations, you might name an orb of suppression, but whether that "helps" your RP depends entirely on your RP. I really like it, because I like my character to have a very succinct and simple appearance. Not having lots of stuff clutter up your appearance makes the things you want to be visible stand out much more.
  • Iocun said:
    I never quite understood the need for illusions to roleplay, especially with the rather wide emoting capabilities we have nowadays.

Instead of doing "conjure illusion A flock of birds rises from a nearby rock, momentarily blocking out the sun.", can't you just do "emote watches silently as a flock of birds rises from a nearby rock, momentarily blocking out the sun."? The number of times when an illusion couldn't be turned into an emote with some creativity is very small, I think.

Plus, emotes won't ever give lifevision-users that pesky **Illusion** line, which I find a bit immersion-breaking.

But, to get back on topic, I'd still recommend pets as one of the foremost "RP arties". The amount of things you can do with them and the amount of customisation you can put into them give you quite a lot of bang for your buck, in my opinion. And yeah, customisation are a given of course. Definitely worth their price.

In the same vein as customisations, you might name an orb of suppression, but whether that "helps" your RP depends entirely on your RP. I really like it, because I like my character to have a very succinct and simple appearance. Not having lots of stuff clutter up your appearance makes the things you want to be visible stand out much more.
    You used to have to start every emote with your name. There was no prepending or $ stuff to target emotes. So people got illusion staff for that reason, it isn't nearly as useful now with the emote changes.

• @Iocun - I get what you're saying, though I have found use with illusions in other IRE games. They can make rituals or events feel a bit more "magical."
  • @Iocun I personally stuck the vast majority of my arties in one item instead of buying the suppression one.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • @Iocun Oh, forgot to reply - I've bought two pets and two ponies so far :) I used the membership wares option and now I have a piglet and a baby turkey, so I guess that's my thing now. XD
  • edited May 2020
    Atalkez said:
    @Iocun I personally stuck the vast majority of my arties in one item instead of buying the suppression one.
    How do you do this?

Nvm, found Help artifact powers!
  • Atalkez said:
    @Iocun I personally stuck the vast majority of my arties in one item instead of buying the suppression one.
    Yeah, I might have done that, but I got my orb a long time before combining arties was a thing.

I can sort of understand the "magical feeling" bit of illusions, although I suppose it's mostly a matter of personal taste, and for me, the lifevision thing always put me off a bit. I've always had illusions as a serpent and I don't think I've used them a single time in RP.

The level 2 staff of illusions is a bit a different thing, as it allows for some neat additional things like colours and area/continent illusions, so I can certainly see how that can be attractive - it's just so extremely expensive.