GMCP - Time/Weather

for various reasons, I want to script a time/weather tracker for Mudlet. The script itself is not an issue, but the gmcp documentation does not document all variables or potential returns.

Time:
  time = "It is the middle of the night in Achaea.",
  moonphase = "Waning Crescent",
  day = "6",
  month = "Mayan",
  daynight = "170",
  year = "827",
  hour = "4",
  mon = "12"

The time results are pretty easy to understand and script around. However, I'm unsure of what daynight is intended for. Does anyone know what the 170 is referencing, and what the potential returns would be? I assume it's like a counter for time of day, but I don't know the logic it's using.

It doesn't appear weather is considered in GMCP at this time. Does anyone know if weather tracking is being planned or is it already included and just not documented? I didn't see anything when pulling the full GMCP table.

Best Answer

• Accepted Answer
    Daynight is primarily used for the nexus client's sun/moon dial, has little semblance to any in-game timekeeping. 0 means dawn, 100 means dusk, anything in between is taken to be how far you are through the day as a percentage. 101 to 200 is nighttime.

Weather tracking does not currently exist, and is not likely to be added at any point in the near future. Gmcp is very intensive across all players, so we try to limit additions to what is absolutely necessary.

Answers

• edited April 2020
    daynight is a counter that goes up to 200 and resets at dawn. So 50 would be noon, 100 dusk, 150 midnight.

GMCP weather doesn't exist at the moment, but would be great to have!

EDIT: Oops, got outSmithed.
  • I was planning on creating a dial for my own use in Mudlet, so that's exactly what I needed, thank you.

Phaestus said:
    Weather tracking does not currently exist, and is not likely to be added at any point in the near future. Gmcp is very intensive across all players, so we try to limit additions to what is absolutely necessary.
    That's really unfortunate. As it is now, weather is more or less ignored from a roleplay perspective and anything outside of blizzards have little to no impact on combat. I was hoping to create a weather UI so I could better incorporate it into in-game actions and interactions. 
  • edited April 2020
    Mannimar said:
    I was planning on creating a dial for my own use in Mudlet, so that's exactly what I needed, thank you.

Phaestus said:
    That's really unfortunate. As it is now, weather is more or less ignored from a roleplay perspective and anything outside of blizzards have little to no impact on combat. I was hoping to create a weather UI so I could better incorporate it into in-game actions and interactions. 
    Yeah, I do incorporate weather in my GUI too. GMCP weather would be nice, but I can understand that there may be performance issues with having too much GMCP data, so I'll just continue basing it off triggers (which is very feasible).
  • Yeah I was going to say you could just use triggers.  

And I didnt know about the daynight thing and now might make a stupid gauge just to have something extra to do instead of rewriting my system like I should :-D

• Iocun said:
    Mannimar said:
    I was planning on creating a dial for my own use in Mudlet, so that's exactly what I needed, thank you.

Phaestus said:
    Yeah, I do incorporate weather in my GUI too. GMCP weather would be nice, but I can understand that there may be performance issues with having too much GMCP data, so I'll just continue basing it off triggers (which is very feasible).
    Triggers work great and all, but I just don't like having to do all that calling and gagging on room changes or looks, but it's easy enough to do, but if GMCP is too much of a performance hog, then yeah.... triggers may be a better move, at least with triggers it doesn't hit the system of 200 players at a time so it should be better that way
  • You could always just trigger when the gmcp.Room.Info.area (or whatever it is, not sure off the top) changes, no?  I could be wrong but doesn't weather affect entire areas and not differ dramatically room by room? Would reduce gagging firing too.

• yeah, typically the same area is similar enough as long as you have a way to confirm weather on demand, Easy enough.
  • IsaiahIsaiah Georgia
    Does daynight update regardless of you being inside/underground/ etc. or do you need to be outside for it to update?

Eat like a caveman, train like a beast. Champions are not born, they are made. 

• Isaiah said:
    Does daynight update regardless of you being inside/underground/ etc. or do you need to be outside for it to update?
    It updates everywhere.
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    time zones when?
  • Oh, @Iocun could you share the trigger lines you've gathered for weather? I've been meaning to do something with weather too, but got distracted with other coding projects and forgot about it!

i'm a rebel