How fun the Reckoning is as an event

Comments

• Oh good, I was having a brief crisis like "maybe we didn't actually do it and I dreamed it".
  • Essay? 20 points.

7 hour FFA struggle? 1 point.

Such a dumb event.
  • Lenn said:
    Essay? 20 points.

7 hour FFA struggle? 1 point.

Such a dumb event.
    Your negativity is, as always, a cloud looming over all the good things that happen in Achaea, Lenn.

Our essay took a lot longer than 7 hours to write, btw.
  • If you look at the essay like a totally impartial event that could have swung to any candidate, then yeah, its weighting is pretty dumb.

If you look at it as an event meant to go to a candidate that was behind to make the overall event more competitive (which is what I assumed would happen when it became clear that it would be the only writing prompt), then it was a neat way of making this into a proper race at the end.
  • I'm not sure blatant admin bias would convince me it's less dumb.
  • edited April 2020
    Keorin said:
    If you look at the essay like a totally impartial event that could have swung to any candidate, then yeah, its weighting is pretty dumb.

If you look at it as an event meant to go to a candidate that was behind to make the overall event more competitive (which is what I assumed would happen when it became clear that it would be the only writing prompt), then it was a neat way of making this into a proper race at the end.

Here we go again.

"If you look at it..." that way and feel the need to keep reiterating it over and over here, you may start to look like you're just a really sore loser. (even though your candidate is #1).

Maybe just give props to those who worked hard on every aspect of this event.
  • edited April 2020
    I'm not upset we're lost, I'm -glad- we lost, and since I didn't have any say in the essay, I don't even have any pride on the line about it. But I do think that if there really was no thumb on the scales, and they actually ran a contest that could have effectively ended the event if three out of the five factions won, then it was a monumentally dumb contest.

I'm entirely willing to concede that Ashtan had the best essay. I just also seriously hope that an essay contest wouldn't've have made the rest of the event meaningless because that's honestly the more frustrating possibility to me.
  • Your ego astounds even me. Accept that you lost the essay contest. No, "but it was most likely biased to make the event more competitive" allowed.

I don't understand how you don't realize how terrible you're being to those that did win - you're taking that from them and telling them you/your side was better.

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Paying customers would like an event with some level of transparency and consistency.  The first reckoning was so poorly ended that the expectations of many was how Admin would drop the ball again and the consensus is they have again.  You want honest feedback, well here it is.
  • edited April 2020
    Cooper said:
    Your ego astounds even me. Accept that you lost the essay contest. No, "but it was most likely biased to make the event more competitive" allowed.

I don't understand how you don't realize how terrible you're being to those that did win - you're taking that from them and telling them you/your side was better.

I've said this a half-dozen times by now, but since apparently you need things to be said in very, very simple language: I am 100% sure that Pryla'ari's faction had a bad essay, and 100% sure that Maim's deserved the win. I've seen plenty of Ashtan's work, there's no doubt they are very talented. No one is questioning either of these things. I haven't been able to read the thing, of course, but I know that if nothing else a ton of work by very talented people went into it.

I'm not even saying that I think the admin had to give anything other than fair results. I'm just hoping that the admin wouldn't have seriously given enough facets to a faction to end the event days before its supposed end, since I think we could all agree that'd be a much worse outcome. There would be a number of ways to avoid doing that, all I'm saying is that I suspect they were on the table.

But seriously, this is just a textbook strawman, I say one thing and then you all immediately claim that I said the opposite. It's like you think that if you keep saying that I said what you want me to have said that my posts will suddenly mean something different. Or if you're just trolling, carry on, I suppose.
  • edited April 2020
    No... you say one thing, then completely backtrack to try and save face by violently twisting your own words around like some sort of contortionist when people call you out. This event has clearly taken its toll on you.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    I would be okay with a blowout victory and/or one side pulling ahead.  Hashan, Mhaldor and Ashtan might have formed a temporary alliance to stop a "Good" candidate then.  And the points awarded to the essay was completely arbitrary and felt like they just gave the most points to it to keep it competitive (winner take all really?)

Look if they had provided a syllabus of this event is worth x many points prior, factions would have prioritized things differently, right?  Ashtan spent 17 hours on the essay, great, I'm sure Targossas and Cyrene has spent over 100 on fighting for facets, each. That's 200 hours and we don't have a 20 facet lead in that category over Mhaldor or Hashan who have also spent similar amounts of hours fighting over facets.  Throw in the last minute riddles, quizzes and now this final reckoning where they nerfed a commander after buffing it earlier and it's a shit show. 

• The admin putting enough thought into the event to rig an essay contest to keep things even is giving them far more credit than they deserve.

All evidence points to no thought being put into the event beyond the most basic of guidelines.
  • edited April 2020
    Aegoth said:
    No... you say one thing, then completely backtrack to try and save face by violently twisting your own words around like some sort of contortionist when people call you out. This event has clearly taken its toll on you.

You and a few others have consistently ignored 95% of what I write, find one sentence to twist, and then argue that it's the entire point of what I said. "Cyrene couldn't have seriously had a shot in this event alone" becomes "Cyrene would have only competed with an ally". I can say, verbatim, that I think that Maim's essay was pretty likely to have been the best, and that if nothing else Pryla'ari's was bad, and this becomes "You can't accept you lost the essay contest, look at your ego" a post later. I've basically spend the entire forum thread repeating myself, and it got old on page two.

If you honestly think that when I clarify what I meant that it was completely different than what you read and your response is to think "clearly this person has changed their entire argument", instead of thinking that, just -maybe- you read the argument wrong to start with, then there really isn't much I can do. I suppose I could quote every bit of my post that you apparently struggled with, but I'm sure you'd just find new and inventive misreadings. There's not much to be done about willful ignorance, after all.

Either way, this has more than run its course. You've clearly made up your mind that the way you read my posts is correct and that you know what I meant better than I did, and nothing I'll say will dissuade you of it. And I think we are far past the point where everyone else would rather stop reading these back-and-forths, besides. I'll just do my best to ignore the Mhaldorian Strawman Brigade, and you all can carry on being your usual lovely selves.
  • My favorite part is when the outposts designed for lower level people went from "painful waste of time" to "best possible way of getting facets" to "utterly irrelevant due to admin weighting of things".

Ironically, only one side actually did anything with them.
  • But Ashtan, Mhaldor, Hashan -didn't- ally to stop the 'Good' candidate, and for several reasons.

"This wouldve turned out different if each city hadn't backed a factional denizen." Alright, hypothetically all the cities agreed on, I don't know, Bruyan as the best person for the job. "Ok Yuddi, we all agree, no need for the rest of this nonsense just vote that sucker right in." That wasn't gunna happen.

"We backed the not-Evil, not-'Teth, not-Chaos candidate." Sounds pretty Neutral to me, which fits Cyrene (Except for the nonsense that revolves around Targ-Teth-whatever because that's a lot of layers to peel back). But the rest of the factions that stand behind less vague factional creeds, DID back their faction, and no amount of OOC "We're unhappy that TargRene is unfair, so lets band together to deny them the win even if it goes against our ethos" was going to change that.

So we're stuck with this story now, where the world thinks that TargRene slacked on their ethos to get a mechanical advantage and win an event. And that's how the narrative is going to go forward after all this. If TargRene wins, the world says 'well of course they did, they had overwhelming odds in their court' and TargRene goes 'Pshh they don't understand the totally valid RP reasonings behind this totally reasonable alliance that's not an alliance but kinda is'.

And that's just how it is, and is going to be. THAT'S the 'story' that got written into this batch of world events, for us to document so newbies can go 'Oh wow this is how the second Reckoning went'. So people can complain that other factions took the 'less interesting' choice, and that's fine. But this 'more interesting' choice turned into all this drama with stories from either side.

Which I'll ABSOLUTELY admit has been the most entertaining part of this whole event for me.
  • I think the whole event is just a huge plot to make us tired of all the fighting and agree on Wavel, just to get it to end.
  • In all fairness, the event isn't that bad though. It did result in the single best deathsight:

A dutiful maid has primly swept Tesha out with the rest of the trash.

I cracked up when I first saw it.
  • Just saying that Myna and I worked on our essay for 40 hours of the 48 allowed to us, and was rewarded with a tie that almost was like saying, here your participation prize.

That's why we're just eatting popcorn till the finish :)
  • You spent 83.333% of 2 days on an essay. Fair cop people want to win, but if I had spent more than an hour (fortunately Jurixe is a lot better and faster than I), I'd be seriously considering the fuck am I not spending that time on absolutely anything else, in game or not. 
  • I didn't even spend the entire 4 hours of our high school exam time, for the 3 essays I had to write in that time. Who in their right mind would spend that much on an essay for a game.

Fucking yikes.
  • Time spent on the Reckoning areas and commander vastly exceeds the time spent by the essay writers when you take into account that there were significantly more people hunting and fighting than writing.

It's probably a magnitude of difference.
  • HalosHalos The Reaches
    edited April 2020
    Lenn said:
    In all fairness, the event isn't that bad though. It did result in the single best deathsight:

A dutiful maid has primly swept Tesha out with the rest of the trash.

I cracked up when I first saw it.
    Lmao yes those maids were my absolute favorite
    With a prim sniff and sweep of her duster, a lone maid declaims "Pigs!" as she becomes the last of the Reckoning forces to quit the field.

They need to show up at the Dardanic Plains the end to sweep up all the corpses and bones and magma after the carnage ends

A frenzied cleric screams, "Like more than one halo!"
  • Is it over yet?
    Give us -real- shop logs! Not another misinterpretation of features we ask for, turned into something that either doesn't help at all, or doesn't remotely resemble what we wanted to begin with.

Thanks!

Current position of some of the playerbase, instead of expressing a desire to fix problems:

Vhaynna: "Honest question - if you don't like Achaea or the current admin, why do you even bother playing?"

• HalosHalos The Reaches
    edited April 2020
    Nope!
    I few more hours battling rakia maybe

• HalosHalos The Reaches
    edited April 2020
    Its gone Its done Lord of the Rings  Reaction GIFs
    Crixos has writhed free of his entanglement by ropes.
    Crixos stands up.
    Crixos rips into Torrid Rakia, the magma wyvern with his massive, deadly claws.
    Torrid Rakia, the magma wyvern has been slain by Crixos.
    A chipped tangerine shard appears and clatters to the ground.

Yudhishthira, First of the Conclave shouts, "Enough!"

Yudhishthira, First of the Conclave shouts, "My champion has finally fallen, and this Reckoning
    draws to a close. Crixos Nithilar claimed the life of Rakia, and yet, the facets, scores, and points 
    are tallied..."

Yudhishthira, First of the Conclave shouts, "Pryla'ari. Priestess of Life, and Guardian of
    Falaq'tor."

Yudhishthira, First of the Conclave shouts, "Though your competitors fought fiercely, victory is
    yours, not theirs to claim."

Yudhishthira, First of the Conclave shouts, "Nonetheless, all should be proud of their performance
    in this Reckoning of mine."

Yudhishthira, First of the Conclave shouts, "Thus, I declare that you, - Pryla'ari -  have
    triumphed."

Yudhishthira, First of the Conclave shouts, "Your forces both great and small have carried you to
    victory, and grant you the use, if briefly, of our Sceptre."

Yudhishthira, First of the Conclave shouts, "Soon, you - Pryla'ari -  will be tested again. Your
    final trial is one you must complete alone and without aid."

Yudhishthira, First of the Conclave shouts, "But it is time now for rest and preparation. Thirteen
    days hence, when the blood has dried and the soldiers healed, we will complete your initiation to my 
    Conclave."

Yudhishthira, First of the Conclave shouts, "Adventurers and non magical peons of Sapience, take
    this opportunity to recover your energies. The final act of initiation is Pryla'ari's to carry out 
    alone."

Yudhishthira, First of the Conclave shouts, "Until then."

With a mighty display of draconic wings, the First of the Conclave departs from the skies over the
    Dardanic Grasslands, returning to dwell in Polyargos.

• So it’s still not over? Yeesh.
  • edited April 2020
    I'm just gonna leave this right here...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXE8LdXzeHM

Edit: To clarify, posting mostly just to poke some fun and give folks a chuckle.