How fun the Reckoning is as an event

Comments

• edited April 2020
    Iocun said:
    As much as I appreciate the desire of higher level hunters to be able to participate without pk, I can agree with this reasoning. It's nice that lower level players can have something they are experts at and feel truly needed.
    But this also leaves out the people that are above 80, but below 99 and not able to dragonform to tank the insane damage and the people that don't do combat at all but would like to still help. It wouldn't kill it for people not yet Dragon to be able to help out in the outposts.

Edit: There's also a bunch of people above 80 but below 99 (and I'm sure some above 99) that don't have any of the artifacts a lot of those below level 80 already have, so it's not really taking them out of the game. Heck, Vhaith barely has the artifacts some 'newbies' do.

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

• No distinction between levels, artefactedness, and other such things will ever be "fair". You'll always have people barely below any division who are dominating, and people barely above one who are struggling.

A level 80, non-artefacted person might die easily in the Reckoning areas, but there's not just a single way to help there. I can't really hunt there myself without a group - but I can do so in a group. Some commanders I don't attack at all and leave to others - but I can still assist in the pk aspect.

As I mentioned before, the only downside I see is with level 80+ people who like hunting, but don't like PK having no good ways to help without getting involved in PK at least a bit. But I don't think the game needs to constantly cater to all personal preferences. Someone who just likes fishing also can't help in the Reckoning.

And it's not like you need to be a particularly good fighter to be able to participate in the PK aspect. I'm certainly not. But I can still type "follow <leader>" and "kill <target>", and sometimes that's all it takes.
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    TOUCH WEB <TARGET>
  • KogKog
    edited April 2020
    Hot take on pk counting:
    45) Proficy told You: You have me enemied while your not in this area.
    46) Proficy told You: And i will hunt you for every time this hunger rune ticks.

I shouldda been keeping track, I could get all this lost xp back by hiring marks on Magi and Runewardens...
    Proficy is always so reasonable
  • Kog said:
    Hot take on pk counting:
    46) Proficy told You: And i will hunt you for every time this hunger rune ticks.

I shouldda been keeping track, I could get all this lost xp back by hiring marks on Magi and Runewardens...
    Don't put down ret/hunger then run away, seems pretty simple.
  • Minifie said:
    Kog said:
    Hot take on pk counting:

Well, if you all would quit sending me to the Cave, I'd love to stick around.
  • Cause counting is dumb and is supposed to have died years ago. Why it continues to be allowed is beyond me.
  • It isn't allowed, and Proficy doesn't really do it. He gets mad and makes threats so you don't keep doing whatever is bothering him, and then he'll kill you whenever he's allowed.

• Kog said:
    Minifie said:
    Kog said:
    Hot take on pk counting:

Well, if you all would quit sending me to the Cave, I'd love to stick around.
    That’s where you belong, send you home and you always seem to wriggle out of it. 
  • KogKog
    edited April 2020
    Cooper said:
    It isn't allowed, and Proficy doesn't really do it. He gets mad and makes threats so you don't keep doing whatever is bothering him, and then he'll kill you whenever he's allowed.
    He usually just jumps me once for however many 'offenses' he came up with then lets it drop. I'm also not really bothered- I am hemorrhaging xp this event, so what's he gonna do to me that I'm not already doing to myself?

But, too, I thought it was funny. 'Out of area' and hitting people, because I got killed and took a minute to get back. Plus, I guess if people actually do start keeping track of goofy stuff like that, everyone ought to.

Edit: @Minifie you guys always file the "die" in triplicate (or more, damn earrings), but we never get your "And Stay Out" submissions. Ensure form G0-N is signed by all relevant parties, and get the B appendix notarized.
    Cooper said:
    It isn't allowed, and Proficy doesn't really do it. He gets mad and makes threats so you don't keep doing whatever is bothering him, and then he'll kill you whenever he's allowed.
    that sounds like some abused spouse shit
  • No one is perfect, if he breaks the rules you are free to hire, issue, or find another RP avenue.

As for bad attitudes and PKers taking advantage of situations, do you remember the time you spammed mind radiance on me for several hours so that I could not win a very important world event?

• This even is hilarious, and the double xp helps with the loss. Highlights have been aurora popping on and Targ making static noises and tossing the phone in the creek, lacharhad’s incredible kill streaks, portal ganks at old thera and the WB nerf.

The trash mobs still give shite xp though.
    Cooper said:
    It's OK to be a bit of a dick.

This one time you were a dick and I'm bringing it up to try to make you look bad even though I just said it's OK
  • Keorin said:
    It's a threat that works because he regularly does kill for plenty of really stupid reasons, so long as he can spin some technicality. I always feel like I'm having to lawyer up talking to him, and I've definitely ended up having to search through logs to find -exactly- who's area abilities were hitting who first in skirmishes that he'd initiate. It's just not an attitude that's terribly conductive to getting new people involved, if they feel like they're going to get hunted down whenever they do.

Really, this whole event has been reminding me just how much stuff that regular pkers take advantage that scare people off from getting more involved. Experience loss especially has been something I've been hearing tons of issues from for anyone who isn't dragon or really geared to fight.
    You existing is his technicality.
  • Of all the people to judge prof for his dickish behaviour, you should probably be the last.
    Cooper said:
    It isn't allowed, and Proficy doesn't really do it. 
    Kog said:

• Cooper said:
    No one is perfect, if he breaks the rules you are free to hire, issue, or find another RP avenue.

As for bad attitudes and PKers taking advantage of situations, do you remember the time you spammed mind radiance on me for several hours so that I could not win a very important world event?

It's a fond memory, though I'm always amused that the length of time I did it grows every time you bring it up.

That said, you seem to think that it was some terrible abuse of a situation just because you didn't like what happened. I used pk in an open pk area in an event designed to be open to pk in order to affect the results. Is this somehow a strange thing to do? Are you saying that Mhaldor wouldn't have hindered me if I'd been aiming for high places?

Really though, you mostly seem to like bringing this up as an ad hominem, as if it has anything to do with pk's accessability to more casual fighters or whether this event is too punishing for people who don't fight a lot.
  • edited April 2020
    This event is honestly a hugely inclusive event. Do you die a lot? Ya, but outside of worldburn, you can help hunt the trash safely, help with the boss itself in certain situations, facet running/protection, ffa skirmishes letting your bashing attacks be enough to land kills, meatshield usefully. The rules have been clarified: if you are in the area, you are open PK, if you aren’t, normal pk rules apply. Killing for each tick is too much, but if you drop ret and leave the area, you are open to retribution per normal RP reasoning, same if you chase and attack someone who leaves. Both situations the rules are applied equally as long as you don’t cause count (which kog and proficy can waylay over IC if they wish).
    Minifie said:
    Of all the people to judge prof for his dickish behaviour, you should probably be the last.
    Me?
  • Archaeon said:
    Minifie said:
    Of all the people to judge prof for his dickish behaviour, you should probably be the last.
    Me?
    Nah, vinzent in this case. You are one of the much fairer people IMO, never had an issue when it came to Archaeon and reason for pk.
    To do: grief minifie
  • Archaeon said:
    To do: grief minifie
    Note to self: fix asthma prios and more robust unweave prios.
    This just in: archaeon quit psion
  • edited April 2020
    I feel like people underestimate just how much of a difference there is in mindset between people who frequently fight and are post dragon, and people who are in the 80s or 90s and working on their hunting goals.

At my current level, I lose some 1% a death, and can often make that back up with kills of my own through the course of a fight. I'm going to have died hundreds of times in this event by the end of it, but there's a good chance I could end up -up- on experience. But a lot of the people I talk to are losing pretty huge chunks of experience or multiple levels, and having to look to do hours of hunting to make that up as the price of participation, and it's pushing them to stay out of the event.

Most people just aren't set up for these sorts of chaotic fights, either. All the things you listed are great, but only if you know what you're doing and can navigate difficult fights. Newer fighters are just completely lost in this sort of thing and many don't enjoy that experience. If your only measure is "can these people be useful" then yes, it's inclusive. But whether people feel like they can meaningfully take part and enjoy things is a very different question.

Also, the way I read the PK rules, saying that anyone who's got effects up in the Commander area but isn't in it personally can be hunted down sometime in the future by anyone who hits those effects seems like a pretty obvious misreading of the intended "use common sense" guidelines. I'd think the much more logical way of reading it is that if someone has effects up in the area, they're still open pk, and that doesn't somehow give cause for after the event. Unless you think I could issue someone for leaving gravehands after winging out of the area, which would be the same sort of logic getting used here.
  • Minifie said:
    Archaeon said:
    Minifie said:
    Me?
    Nah, vinzent in this case. You are one of the much fairer people IMO, never had an issue when it came to Archaeon and reason for pk.
    You can claim I'm in the wrong all you want, but that does not make it true. The number of times I have been attacked or killed without cause by anyone, but especially those in Mhaldor, has been innumerable for a long time.
  • To interrupt this with a genuine question...did they disable infamy gain, or am I just getting my ass kicked that often?
  • Keorin said:
    I feel like people underestimate just how much of a difference there is in mindset between people who frequently fight and are post dragon, and people who are in the 80s or 90s and working on their hunting goals.

At my current level, I lose some 1% a death, and can often make that back up with kills of my own through the course of a fight. I'm going to have died hundreds of times in this event by the end of it, but there's a good chance I could end up -up- on experience. But a lot of the people I talk to are losing pretty huge chunks of experience or multiple levels, and having to look to do hours of hunting to make that up as the price of participation, and it's pushing them to stay out of the event.

Most people just aren't set up for these sorts of chaotic fights, either. All the things you listed are great, but only if you know what you're doing and can navigate difficult fights. Newer fighters are just completely lost in this sort of thing and many don't enjoy that experience. If your only measure is "can these people be useful" then yes, it's inclusive. But whether people feel like they can meaningfully take part and enjoy things is a very different question.

Also, the way I read the PK rules, saying that anyone who's got effects up in the Commander area but isn't in it personally can be hunted down sometime in the future by anyone who hits those effects seems like a pretty obvious misreading of the intended "use common sense" guidelines. I'd think the much more logical way of reading it is that if someone has effects up in the area, they're still open pk, and that doesn't somehow give cause for after the event. Unless you think I could issue someone for leaving gravehands after winging out of the area, which would be the same sort of logic getting used here.
    Another thing to note here, at least in relation to Proficy and Kog, is that after the first tick Proficy intentionally stood in the room to count repeated causes. At that point his ability to justify his actions is invalid because he accepted the 'attack' and decided to stay there. If he was truly offended, he would have moved. This distinction must be made otherwise I could wait until Akri leaves an area and go walk into gravehands intentionally, over and over again, and now I have justification to kill as much as I want. There is simply too much room for abuse in that line of thinking.