How fun the Reckoning is as an event

Comments

• I actually like that these are longer periods. Because of everything that is going on, a lot of people are stuck at home, and this is something to do that isn’t a grind.
    This is coming from someone who has died upwards of 20 times to the event, I don’t mind it being hard, how else are they going to make things stay interesting? If it wasn’t hard everyone would complain that it didn’t feel like they actually were doing anything.
    Rookie numbers. Heck, I've barely played with the event at all, and I've already died 47 times.

It's not hard, it's boring, and it's designed to be boring.
  • I would count deaths but they never taught me how to count past 3 digits.
  • Lenn said:

It's not hard, it's boring, and it's designed to be boring.
    I think we have a different definition of boring. The word you’re looking for is chaotic.

I have my gripes about worldburn playing such a huge role and that it shouldn’t be, but otherwise there’s nothing boring about this event imo.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Any good FPS with a deathmatch FFA mode is chaotic, but I've never seen one last for three hours and result in "woops, nobody won!"
  • Like usual, Lenn, it sounds like you'd have more fun not playing Achaea. Feel free to do so!

• Cooper said:
    Like usual, Lenn, it sounds like you'd have more fun not playing Achaea. Feel free to do so!
    Like usual, Cooper, it sounds like you're making a worthless post. I'm not going to stop you though.
  • Every side has the fallback objective of preventing another side from winning, the defending side mostly just seems screwed out of a point.

I'd agree if the defending side got something for defending, but it doesn't seem like they do - not even a mechanical edge, as far as I can tell.

Hashan won that too, because we didn't really have enough people to take the facet, but we prevented anyone else from getting it.

I think the event would be a lot more fun if they took some inspiration from, say, Mario Party, where it's chaotic but the system eventually forces one side to win. I dunno how to interpret that in Achaea terms, but I know that'd be more enjoyable for me, and that I got bored about two hours in of this.
  • I think that it gets pretty tedious when the only endings are a fight with no opposition, or one that reliably turns into a three+ hour slog.
  • Also ugh at trying to get @Atalkez 's shadow during our side duel thing, baffled to why it wasn't working.

It wasn't working because I already had it.

Someday I'll learn to keep track of which shadows I have.
  • Screw it, just gonna farm the outposts from now on.
  • Gallida said:
    Screw it, just gonna farm the outposts from now on.
    Welcome to the dark side.
  • edited April 2020
    The problem is that these aren't epic duels over an objective, these are fights where single people can basically solo disrupt any number of other people who're on the boss. Unless you have worldburn for zone control, it becomes hours of whack-a-mole, and gods forbid you're missing even a single class you need (alchie to kill blackwind, bard to kill gravehands, depthswalker for timewell and distort, ect). And if you don't have the numbers, it's just three hours of turning it into a stalemate.

Also, is it just me, or did the amount of hunting needed get extended?
  • Imagine if it was something like randomized elimination matches until only one side was left (not a fair tournament, a madhouse system that shoves random albeit numerically even amounts of people into little dueling areas as quickly as possible), and whoever's left standing gets a clear shot at the boss.

No penalty for bringing more, your noncom might get lucky and never match anyone difficult, and get to help with the boss, or maybe Farrah will singlehandedly whittle down your entire army, it's chaotic!
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    While it's not perfect, after thinking about it, I have to say I prefer boss fights being interruptable than not. It can definitely be a pain, and it gets frustrating when after many hours you go empty handed,  but if nothing else it also gives you something to do, and many opportunities to do it, whether you are trying to fight or trying to interrupt people.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• So, just as an example, the Old Thera commander fight earlier took a full five hours for me, between the bashing and the fighting.

That's just for a single point, and we only even managed it because there was just a handful of Mhaldorian resistance. In my mind, it's not so much that these individual battles can't be fun, but in the aggregate it gets pretty excessive. It's just hard to stay excited about spending most of my playtime every day in same-y drawn out battles that often end in stalemates.
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    I do wish it required less hunting, but that seems purposeful to include people who enjoy hunting in thr equation. Not sure how good they are as hunting areas. Someone else would have to slxhime on that. 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• It seems like it's alright hunting, at least from my rather inexperienced perspective. But the trouble is that you need the hunting to happen when your fighters are around and ready to fight, and that usually means that the fighters are the ones to end up hunting.

Usually it seems like I see the same people doing the hunting and the fighting, at least, usually because the fighters are the ones actually feeling invested in the event.
  • Open outposts to over 80s. Balance it like the tide did with levels. Hunters taken care of.

Drop kill requirement for candidate areas. Make it so you pile the bodies in a heap/altar/grave whatever to pass off the commander. People can touch the chosen heaped symbol to see summoning progress so you can strategize to contribute or hold back on corpses until your army is ready (other cities can fuck it up by piling on the bodies though).

At the moment the city im dallying in is in an awkward spot where the man pk force goes balls to the wall... then hangs out tired and/or afk until the next commander pops up. Makes me a little sad towards them. :(

• Tahquil said:
    Open outposts to over 80s. Balance it like the tide did with levels. Hunters taken care of.
    I disagree with this. As a new player I'm in that period where everything is introductory and every simple problem I encounter I bother someone else who then has to stop what they're doing to help me. Therefore fighting the outposts, while punishing to my experience, is incredibly satisfying and very entertaining to tackle it in a group. It's helping me keep a deep interest in this game and an excuse to talk to a bunch of people. And it's purely because it's something that only us lower level players can do. Opening the outposts to over 80s would just result in us being obsolete in the reckoning and it's not like it's necessary.

As far as I can can tell they're just simplified versions of the commander fights (albeit with no pk)... we hunt denizens until a boss spawns then kill the boss and get a fragment.
  • As much as I appreciate the desire of higher level hunters to be able to participate without pk, I can agree with this reasoning. It's nice that lower level players can have something they are experts at and feel truly needed.
  • It's probably the most consistent way to get shards. I mean fragments. I MEAN FACETS!
  • I think the weirdest part of this is, looking at the end of the pk portion coming up, there's still the bulk of facets unclaimed. I guess I imagined 'pk harder!' and a flare-up of contesting facets towards the end, to try to make up for whatever lead change(s) occurred. But, instead we're gonna end locked in where ever, with no idea how the essays go. I'm super glad I'm not involved in any of the fancy 'thinking' stuff, I'd be so stressed!
  • Kog said:
    I'm super glad I'm not involved in any of the fancy 'thinking' stuff, I'd be so stressed!
    I sometimes involve myself with some of the thinking stuff, but I'm still totally not stressed. Iocun very much wants Pryla'ari to win, but OOC, seeing any other candidate win would be just as fun and interesting to me, so my focus is just on being a part of it all.
  • Thats my bad. I had thought the outposts were solo dungeons spawning for each person.
  • Quick question, in case I'm doing something wrong.

Ra'mah always double kills me from full when I walk into his room. Some say it's damage, and I do have 4.3k max health, which would be unfortunate if he's just hitting me for 8.6k.

Is there just a mechanic I'm missing?
  • Yeah, the outposts are basically tuned for a level 80 or so area and they're brutal unless you have a group or are artied up for lowbie bashing. Way more productive in terms of facet gathering than the bosses though.

It takes me a good two, maybe two and a half hours to clear one to the point of getting a commander, and that's as a level 79 shaman with L1 crit/sip/con/reserves and a SoA. Major props to @Kalogeros and his little band of Targ clearing them in groups, though!
  • Mizik said:
    Quick question, in case I'm doing something wrong.

Ra'mah always double kills me from full when I walk into his room. Some say it's damage, and I do have 4.3k max health, which would be unfortunate if he's just hitting me for 8.6k.

It's probably the worldburn every few minutes.
  • Mizik said:
    Quick question, in case I'm doing something wrong.

Most likely it's his mechanic, yeah.